Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: golems  (Read 2735 times)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
golems
« on: February 20, 2018, 01:42:56 pm »

with magic coming into DF (eventually) I think it would be interesting to get golems in the game officially (of course due to magic being procedurally generated some worlds will have them others will not)

some ideas:
-may be made out of any material
-able to do any labor other than medical and noble positions (jobs available depend on golem)
-does not need to eat/drink, but does need to be magically recharged every few weeks
-may give positive feelings to a dwarf that likes golems.
-may give negative feelings to a dwarf the detests golems.
-a golem can be made to resemble any animal (larger sizes require more materials) (will also give positive/negative feelings to dwarves depending on the animal)
-can become pets (animal golems only)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: golems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:31:59 pm »

I feel like the recharging part would have to be really carefully done to avoid too much crossover with steampunk/cyberpunk settings. Maybe a random alchemical reagent/material combo list? Like iron golems could require aqua vitae in one world but in the next only zinc golems recharge with that.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:21 pm »

I think golems should have their own workshop to be created in, and it would use some new skill.
No amount of mods is too much

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:08:50 pm »

I think golems should have their own workshop to be created in, and it would use some new skill.

Only in some worlds. Remember, no single magic system.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:26 am »

as I and kittytac have stated:
Only in some worlds. Remember, no single magic system.
the workshops for the golems would just be standard workshops (and later work zones)
wooden golem bodies are made in the carpenter's workshop
stone in mason's
metal in forges
gem/bone/shell/ivory/cloth in craftdwarf's
clay in kilms
glass in glassmaker's forge
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:03:17 am »

Or at the very least make moddable reactions that can create creatures.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 10:10:23 am »

if I remember correctly there are reactions that can make creatures (I think the gnome mod had one), but modding is NOT my specialty so take that with a grain of salt.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 10:29:28 am »

Yeah, but you need DFhack for that.  It should be implemented in the game properly.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:40 pm »

I look forward to golems because then they might fix the [CAN_LEARN] bug that causes said creatures to work but we cannot set their labours, so they only haul stuff about.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »

Yeah, but you need DFhack for that.  It should be implemented in the game properly.

You can actually make a workshop that turns people to golems, it just needs a syndrome inducing rock that turns to gas at room temperature and induces a syndrome when inhaled turning them into said golem. Derpy, but it works.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 06:23:05 am »

These should also be available for anything, not just in the workshop, to allow summoners in adventure mode, ETC.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Lesurous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 06:23:34 am »

Could just make golems run on alcohol (Futurama?), and require more than the average Dwarf. That way they're only plausible once you've got a some what established fortress, and be something universal. Plus, it's dwarfy to have alcoholic automatons.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:52 am »

Could just make golems run on alcohol (Futurama?), and require more than the average Dwarf. That way they're only plausible once you've got a some what established fortress, and be something universal. Plus, it's dwarfy to have alcoholic automatons.

Not in all worlds. A single magic system is not planned.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »

I must admit, I'm a little worried by this idea of a procedural magic system... Magic has to have some level of structure or it becomes useless. The last thing you want is to spend ages training a magic user only to find out that magic consists of throwing a puff of steam a few squares.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »

I must admit, I'm a little worried by this idea of a procedural magic system... Magic has to have some level of structure or it becomes useless. The last thing you want is to spend ages training a magic user only to find out that magic consists of throwing a puff of steam a few squares.

Well, you could check the legends beforehand. If it does not satisfy you, reroll the world. Simple. I'm all for it.
Pages: [1] 2