Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recovering a lost long-term resident  (Read 1116 times)

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recovering a lost long-term resident
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:46:42 pm »

I sent my squad of commandos - which included both human(mercs and monter slayers) and dwarves to recover an artifact greatsword. Only the squad commander returned. When i read the mission report - it said that the artifact had been stolen from the target site by a different member of the squad - one of the monster slayers. When i looked the guy up in legends to see what had become of him, it said he'd settled in Peaksloshed a human settlement along with several of the other squad members.

Is there anything i can do to get this guy back - is there a chance he could return on his own?

Was I dumb to send a human monsterslayer on a mission like that? - It could be that they have less loyalty to my civ and so are more likely to settle elsewhere.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering a lost long-term resident
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:54:41 am »

As far as I understand DF doesn't allow assignment of monster hunters to squads, but a bug (or, rather, not yet implemented check) in DT allows you to do so. Thus, it shouldn't come as a surprise if DF doesn't recognize the monster hunter as a proper squad member, and might think he's left the fortress on his own.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:13:53 am »

As far as I understand DF doesn't allow assignment of monster hunters to squads, but a bug (or, rather, not yet implemented check) in DT allows you to do so. Thus, it shouldn't come as a surprise if DF doesn't recognize the monster hunter as a proper squad member, and might think he's left the fortress on his own.
The other way is if you're working with a fake spy (again, a bug, so not much to be done about it).

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10490

Mine at least came back home after raiding. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:18:11 am by Shonai_Dweller »

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »

Is there a way I could use adventure mode to recover him?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 12:57:55 am »

Is there a way I could use adventure mode to recover him?
He's victim of a bug caused by using a memory hacking tool. There's not likely to be an in-game solution to getting him back.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:18:56 pm »

I mean it sounds like he still exists in the world though, so adv. mode would certainly work in that case.

Can you send another, more reliable squad after him?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 04:46:04 pm »

I mean it sounds like he still exists in the world though, so adv. mode would certainly work in that case.

Can you send another, more reliable squad after him?
"Certainly" is a bit strong. There's a vague chance that he might join you as a companion, yes. Chances are he'll tell you he's on an important mission and won't join you though.

If he joins you, then yeah, you could take him back to the fortress and try retiring there. Then you'll find out if he'll re-petition as a monster slayer, I guess.

Squads can't be used to kidnap people right now, no. He's not a prisoner. He just went to live somewhere else.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:48:05 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 04:55:27 pm »

I'm gonna be honest, I was thinking stab him and take the macguffin. Then come back to the fort with it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 05:32:00 pm »

I'm gonna be honest, I was thinking stab him and take the macguffin. Then come back to the fort with it.
If you just want the artifact back then, sure, easy enough, just go get it. Squad won't work right now though. Needs some bug fixing first.