Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Three Kingdoms: Marga Guard's guild  (Read 2559 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Three Kingdoms: Marga Guard's guild
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 06:59:05 pm »

Of course there is the ironic option: Put the Thieves guild in charge of housing.

That actually might be fitting.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:07 pm »

Thieves guild should have the even more ironic job of tallking about the cocept of scurity in generls, Housing now is according to your description mainly about death and proprty so it can be here or with the merchents.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 07:13:03 pm »

Right now I think I'll leave it where it is.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 07:18:37 pm »

I'm still working on the boar-hunter fight, but the basic idea is this:

Every character has a health bar for all major body parts. (Humanoid creatures would have head, body, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, for example.) Different body parts have different starting health. Once a body part loses all health, it is counted as "removed" -- the character cannot use that body part anymore and any items on that body part are dropped. Certain body parts (head, body on humanoids) kill the character if they are removed.

In any battle, the units take turns like this -- each unit chooses which attack to use (body or weapon) and which unit's body part to attack. (There may be restrictions on the latter depending on the attack.) Each kind of attack (punch, sword slash, etc.) has an "attack table" -- basically a mapping from which number pops up on the die to how much damage is dealt. Roll tables can sometimes be simplified by a multiplier/offset, like "5 times a d6 plus 2" or something like that. After the attack roll, the defender rolls a defense roll. Die rolls are mapped to defense values with a "defense table" -- each unit could have different defense tables for different attack types (like for blunt or edged damage, or for red spells), and/or a catch-all defense table for any attack. The total damage to a body part is the attack value minus the defense value.

Most status effects are basically bonuses/maluses to attack or defense rolls. They can be triggered by a variety of things -- a Dizzy status effect can be applied when 3 damage or more is dealt to the head, or perhaps also by a spell. Severe Pain can be triggered whenever a major body part is removed. Status effects can deactivate when either a specified length of time has passed, and/or when their trigger is removed. There's also armor, which gives bonuses to defense rolls, either depending on the attack type, or just in general.

We may or may not implement skills and attributes, because although that allows some way to show character progression, it might be too much on top of all of the rest of this. I'm also thinking of writing a program to simulate this automatically... it shouldn't be too hard, and it would definitely help out whoever is going to be doing the combat rolls.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »

Well that is a description but if you can put that into a forum game context where a battle can be resolved in a turn that would be something.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 02:20:51 am »

Okay. Here goes.

A character is scouting through the woods, trying to find a troublesome boar. Suddenly, the boar jumps out from behind a bush and attacks, attempting to headbutt the unsuspecting hunter!

(No defense roll on surprise attacks)
(Attack strength of headbutt is two thirds of d6, rounded down, plus bonuses & maluses)

*rolls die* 5! It's a solid hit, and the hunter becomes disoriented! The hunter takes 3 damage to the head, adding the Dizzy status effect! -1 attack malus on all even rolls! (this is supposed to act like a -0.5 malus, but might work differently in practice)

The hunter's head now has 4/7 health!

The hunter reacts and swipes at the boar's right front leg with his iron sword!

(Attack strength of basic iron sword is equal to d6, plus bonuses & maluses)
(Defense roll of boar is equal to half of d4, rounded down)

*rolls dice* 5 and 2! The slash hits true, and the boar is ineffective in defending itself, sending the boar into a cry of agony! The boar takes 4 damage to the right front leg, sending it clean off! The boar now has the Severe Pain status effect! -2 on all attack and defense rolls!

The boar then attempts to bite the hunter's right arm!

(Attack strength of bite is half of d6, rounded down, plus bonuses & maluses)
(Defense roll via iron sword parry is one third of a d6, rounded down)

*rolls dice* 6 and 1! The boar's position was ideal for the attack and the hunter completely failed to defend himself, but the boar's pain served to distract itself from the strike! The hunter takes 1 damage to his right arm!

The hunter's right arm now has 4/5 health!

The hunter now attempts to plunge his iron sword directly into the boar's head.

*rolls dice* 5 and 3! The boar's head is removed completely from the body! The hunter has won the fight!

(A Wild Boar Corpse, a Wild Boar Head and a Wild Boar Leg have been dropped on the ground.)
(The hunter will have the Dizzy status effect until he heals his head -- we'll probably need to add a regeneration mechanic of some sort to this.)

I'm planning on writing a Python script to automate this to a certain degree. I could technically write AIs for the NPCs, but while that is easy for wild boars, more complicated creatures later on in the game will be harder to manage, requiring input from a Ranger. I'll report progress on that to you later. Right now, we should put this system to discussion and later a ballot. (I'm still a bit confused as to whether you are creating a Warrior's Guild or not, could you please clarify that for me?)
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 02:33:21 am »

No, no automation. I don't want to restrict some jobs to people that have access to the right tech.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 03:06:07 am »

As an idea for housing is several streets in the town, and each street has an owner (A guild, or the lord, or something else) and you buy it from them, pay rent to them, etc. But, if anything bad happens to that street, your house might be next, being close by. You could start a shop in your house also, if you wanted to.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 03:27:11 am »

No, no automation. I don't want to restrict some jobs to people that have access to the right tech.

I could package the script into an executable using PyInstaller, so that people don't have to install python on their machine (even though it's piss easy to do so.) Or I could just use it myself to playtest the creatures the Ranger's Guild come up with...

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 03:29:00 am »

No, this is a forum game.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 03:37:47 am »

Could it work on a phone. Like a website?

That might be OK.

Edit: That WOULD be OK.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 04:18:27 am »

Or an APP.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 05:27:25 am »

We will need to talk on the combat with the rangers guild, but it look good.
And the housing look intresting.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 01:02:54 am »

To talk to the rangers now or wait for the program?
Mainly asking bloop_bleep.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 01:34:20 am »

To talk to the rangers now or wait for the program?
Mainly asking bloop_bleep.
Gonna be a couple days before the program's all finished, so we might as well talk to the rangers now, just to get it rolling.

Could it work on a phone. Like a website?

That might be OK.

Edit: That WOULD be OK.
Or an APP.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused. I could create a (very rudimentary) website, with some extra effort, but I currently have no way to host it. And by executable I did in fact mean (a sort of) app -- not a full-fledged app with an installer and start menu icons etc., but something which you can double-click on in your file manager to run. I probably can't put it on a phone -- I might, just might, be able to create an Android package since I have an Android phone, but I've never done that before (although I know how it works) so I'm not sure. iPhone app is completely out of the question, unfortunately. I'm also not sure if cross-compiling (creating an executable for an operating system different from your own) is possible using PyInstaller, so most likely I won't make a Mac app.

By "the right tech" do you mean hardware, or software? Like, are you concerned that people don't have the actual machine to run it on, or don't have the required programs? As I said, I probably won't be able to create an executable for all platforms, but Python scripts can run on any platform that has Python. Python is extremely easy to install and many platforms (including Mac, I think) already have it pre-installed.

Going back to the topic of the combat system: So how are we going to hold the ballot? Is it going to be in one guild, or across both? If the latter, how will it work?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4