Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use the magic system that Bloop has?

Yes
- 2 (100%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Marga Mage's Guild  (Read 5355 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Marga Mage's Guild
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:09 pm »

So 5 shipwrecks equals 1 god?

I think you'll need to stretch that out some more. 20 Karma should be a huge event... for our city. We're not dealing with macro stuff here.
And you didn't even get to 20 Karma...
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:38 pm »

The numbers could be fiddled with. But to be frank, I do think that five shipwrecks with no intervening positive events in between might warrant a visit from a god. Hopefully one that can help us stop wrecking ships.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:29 pm »

Eh, fair enough.
*Suddenly, Poseidon*

This does not mean that we should be sacrificing ships to get gods. Eventually they'll get annoyed at us and that won't be fun.
Overall, though, I think we should be trying to keep our budget fairly balanced. It's kinda unreasonable for us to constantly have bad stuff happen. Recall, while in OOC terms we control the random events, in-game we're just oracles.
It might make sense to roll a D20 from time to time for this stuff; 1 is a -10K, 2 is -9K, up to 10 being -1K, then 11 is 1K, 12 is 2K, up to 20 is 10K. Agreed?
I'll put the D20 thing in the ballots.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 09:45:44 pm »

I was absolutely planning on keeping things relatively balanced, either using a d20 or a regressive system that is random, but pushes back towards the mean. Ideally, if we use a random system we could even have parts of the weather planned in advance, such as good vs bad, magical vs non-magical. That way we could be genuinely forecasting, without precise knowledge of the event until the moment it happens.

One good way to manage this would be to give different people a period, say a week or so, where they determine weather OOC, and then they post part or all of that determination here for us to spread IC.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 09:53:04 pm »

One good way to manage this would be to give different people a period, say a week or so, where they determine weather OOC, and then they post part or all of that determination here for us to spread IC.
That sounds good to me. Mind you, IC week, or OOC week? Because those are likely to be fairly different timescales. Speaking of which, how often should weather change, and should it be based on IC time or OOC time?

Aside from that, we also should probably elect the guildmaster/archmage. I'm just going to say, no voting for yourself.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:12 pm »

We can figure out the rotation based off of how quickly the game moves. I mean, weather events can't really be happening more often than once a day IC, with a few chaotic exceptions, and ideally each rotation you'll get to determine multiple events, so a week IC would make some sense. But if a week IC is going to pass OOC very quickly, then I'd rather it was more than a week. I think passing off more than every other day OOC is probably faster than we'd like. Having a term where you can plan to be available IC for it would be ideal.

With all of that said, it could be up to the Archmage to delineate the precise timing of the hand off, based off of what they feel will lead to involvement by the whole community of mages, while still maintaining some continuity and semblance of order in the weather/karma (when order is indeed desired).

As for voting for an archmage, we could wait to see if more people show up, or vote now. I agree with not voting for yourself, but that leads to problems when you have so few members, because each of us only has two choices atm.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »

All ideas are good, and yes. That said, with so few people, allowing us to vote for ourselves causes a similar problem - we probably all would like to be archmage.

Let's give it a few days to see how large the start of the guild is before voting, then? Let's say until Sunday.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 09:45:42 pm »

Put me down for membership.

The guild will now officially be tasked with the weather.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:54:55 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 11:01:45 am »

Alright, everyone, what should the weather be? Should we just set it to default clear skies right now, or something else?

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 01:40:01 pm »

Alright, everyone, what should the weather be? Should we just set it to default clear skies right now, or something else?
Default to clear skies for the moment, but we now have 4 people, enough to have an honest vote. I nominate and vote for Glass.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:46 pm »

I'd love to be Archmage too but I think we all know Glass is winning, haha.
I'll just be the éminence gris. :P

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 01:44:22 pm »

Seth Richards is willing to scry to the placement of gold, increasing your profitability from mining, in exchange for 25% of the profits made.

This is actually valid.

But the economy is the domain of the Merchant's, so it would have to be worked out with them.

On behalf of the Merchant's as acting steward, I like it. But it needs a balance. Maybe this skill burns up coins(sending them back to be mined).
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »

Maybe it increases the chances of finding money, but decreases the probability of finding a lot of money? The latter by less than the former; maybe expected gold should go up by 1, but range of gold goes down more.
Also, thanks for the votes, everyone.

EDIT: How's this: it changes from the distribution you've got to a 50-50 small nugget-average nugget. I'll do the math later, but overall, removing the 50% chance of not getting anything makes it worth losing out on the 1/20 chances of getting 25 or 100 gold.
EDIT2: Nevermind, had a calculator, did the math, it doesn't outweigh it. However, a 75% for average and 25% for small puts the expected earnings at the same as the base chance. I'll need to work out a way for it to go up to ~12 expected gold for it to give the equivalent expected profits, though. A moment, please.
EDIT3: 20% chance of a Large, 20% chance of a Small, 60% chance of an Average. 12 expected gold goes down to 9 for the miner and 3 for the mage, giving the miner a .25 gold advantage over people that don't use the mage, and, while removing the chance of a windfall, also removing the chance of a wasted trip. That sound fair to you?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:04:25 pm by Glass »

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 04:06:12 pm »

On a different front, how would you guys feel about me becoming Guild Treasurer, provided we don't have a sudden swing of votes that makes me guildmaster?

I could track our funds, as well as determine bounties/fees for certain tasks related to our guild? I was also thinking that, since we have guild funds, one thing we could do is buy the throne's debt to earn interest over time. Another investment source would be making loans to adventurers so they can spend take the quests that cost gold on startup.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 04:09:44 pm »

I feel like most of that would be more the domain of the merchant's guild, but creating quests for people might be a good role, tying in with our ability to make events.

Anyway, so long as Roseheart gives you the OK, I approve of it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6