Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use the magic system that Bloop has?

Yes
- 2 (100%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Marga Mage's Guild  (Read 5353 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Marga Mage's Guild
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 05:37:40 pm »

You've been given gold and an allowance. How you save and pay(I am addressing this guild as a whole) its' members is by default the guildmaster's duty, though they can assign someone, such as a treasurer, or be more like a union and vote. No right way. Or many right ways.

The mining spell should be useful to the buyer or it wont be used, there are other factors.

The wizard performing the service, and the guild will want to profit. This is also true for the ranger's guild performing the action.
I feel like most of that would be more the domain of the merchant's guild, but creating quests for people might be a good role, tying in with our ability to make events.

Anyway, so long as Roseheart gives you the OK, I approve of it.

The player getting more gold actually benefits everyone. But at no point it should feel like the player is required to use this service.

So knocking out the hundred gold paycheck seems like a good idea, that way the default form of mining is kind of like a lottery ticket.

I recommend on average mathematically they are comparable profits to all parties, and maybe this method overall giving a little bit more. If you want to work out the exact numbers and make a proposal to the merchants Guild we will have a vote on it.

The Rangers Guild will also get to have a response to it.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:20 pm »

Ok. Also, I'll work out an alternate balance, because due to the way the mining earnings work out, it makes more sense for payment to be 1/5 or 2/5 of the earnings, so that we don't have to worry about fractions of Gold. 2/5 is probably better; it works out nicely to needing a 15 Gold average per trip to make it that right amount of "slightly more profitable". I'm not sure what 1/5 would need to be, because 9 isn't really 4/5 of anything.

But yeah. Point is, our method should be slightly more profitable on average, but significantly more reliable overall. Eliminating the jackpot and the whammy seem like good ways to do that.

EDIT: Looking at the Ranger's Guild, looks like quests are not our business. We can probably request them, though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:45:53 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 02:11:19 am »

Speaking of them, who I will at this time also represent as steward guildmaster, they have gotten big. Things I was putting off, it may be the right time.

Ingredients for spells is an option.

Spells could be more powerful if they consumed ingrediants. For example the gold feathers of a canary spider. We, the rangers can make natural resources.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:51 pm »

I'm not necessarily talking about offering quests, I'm talking about offering loans to finance quests and invest our small starting funds so they grow. roseheart has already offered a quest that has a start up cost exceeding the funds of any one individual. If we offered a loan so somebody could take that quest on, then we could have gotten a return on our money.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »

Sounds like a loan office would be resonable extension- of the merchant's guild.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 01:40:41 pm »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:07 pm »

I vote hail for today's weather. Normal nonmagical hail.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 06:17:49 pm »

Let's not do anything like that right now. Hail causes huge problems.
Rain, on the other hand, I would be fine with.

EDIT: Also, because I'm getting support I'm willing to make a vote for myself as guildmaster/archmage. I believe that's 3 votes?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:12:45 pm by Glass »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 01:16:30 am »

You've been a dedicated steward in this position, and on for that effort I cast my vote for Seth.

(I actually thought the vote was over already. Well congrats if that seals the deal.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:53:46 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 01:24:42 am »

I wasn't actually a member of this Guild before (just PTW'd because I found it interesting), but I am now.

+1 to Glass for archmage for taking the initiative.

I have a couple suggestions. I like the karma system, but there are many loopholes. Let's start with your prospecting idea. I've crunched some numbers, and apparently, your system increases total expected earnings for a single mining expedition from 8.75 to 12, and decreases total standard deviation from 21.73 to 6.78. That's a change in a risk-to-reward ratio from 2.48 to 0.57, a decrease of more than a factor of 4! Surely, there must be some kind of karma usage here? It probably would be too OP if you were able to create such vast increases in investment quality without using almost anything at all.

Also, the scope of the karma should probably be revised as well. I suggest that we make karma relative to the Guild, instead of generally everything. Otherwise, it would be far too easy to farm karma by making bad things happen to your enemies and then use that karma to finance good things for yourselves. It would cost karma to make things happen which are aligned with the Guild's interests, and you would gain karma if you make things happen which are aligned against your interests. It would essentially be a giant game of tradeoffs.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 04:29:53 am »

I am going to reclassify the Wizard's Guild as a secondary guild.

This will have no effect on how it may operate or its' duties. But will mean members must also join a core guild. Which seems to largely be the case, already.

The reason, for this is that this guild, while it does a lot of different things, they are enhancements rather than fundamental to the core game. I invite you to consider this as a promotion of sorts, for elite 3K players.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:40 am »

Bloop, I know it brought it up to 12, and I'll be rebalancing it to make that 15. However, that is because we'd be taking about 2/5 of the value, bringing the average profit for the client down to 9 - just a tiny amount over the normal value. The main point was to reduce the variability in the procedure.

Regarding bad/good karma being relative to our interests - bad stuff happening to our enemies costs us Karma, because it's good for us. That had already been agreed upon. That said, it's regarding the town's interests, not our guild's specifically.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 01:21:41 pm »

I would like to join this guild as a historian.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 01:25:50 pm »

You're accepted.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »

Now I'll just go into the corner and invent languages, historical locations, and blabber on about the pet dog of the second son of the bastard daughter of the last king of somewhere else.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6