Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Stage Zero Turn 2 (YES REALLY) (OPEN TO APPLICATIONS BTW)  (Read 6919 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Stage Zero Turn 1
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2018, 02:18:54 pm »

3 of Gains: overturn the Glum Law.
2 of Gains: I can see all, even if Secrets tries to hide it from me.
5 of Gains: attempt to mold reality into a form more suitable for life. Maybe it won't necessarily be planets in the manner that we know it; maybe reality can be defined with series of winding tunnels throughout the vast solid mass of matter the universe currently contains, maybe it will be large dissipated clouds through which you can find great aerwhales and glowing eagles flying around, maybe a vast sea swarming with membranous beings floating in the current, or some other, even more alien composition. It matters not, only that it is suitable for the life that the Gardener will seed.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2018, 03:47:14 pm »

"Only Gods and Kings should dwell in the Fortress of gods, Try and keep the sentient and sapient mortals out of its internal walls, or our machinations might be sullied."
"Unfeasible. A king needs servants and vassals or he is no king. Likewise a predator requires prey. It is not the top that holds up the rest, but the mass of the universe that allows a few beings to rise to the top. With nothing to stand on, gods and kings will fall.
Though lower on the totem pole, the rat is no less noble than the lion, for both are necessary to maintain the world we hope to create."

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2018, 06:38:22 pm »

"We gave no need for mortals in the fortress of Us, so they should be barred from entry, the hollows halls will be where we could bring ourselves to manipulate the world around it."
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2018, 07:22:39 pm »

"I do not understand your aversion to 'mortals', as you call them. This term seems to refer to temporary beings, which would have to include us and our facecards, no?"

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2018, 09:06:05 pm »

" It is not an Aversion. Mortals, the things created by us to churn, do not belong on the sacred ground of Us, Gods. They belong out there. To bring them into the halls of the Fortress may invite ruin. We, the Gods, are immortal, eternal. We do not Rot, at least, not yet."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2018, 09:25:56 pm »

"...Seems hubris to declare ourselves eternal even while we take our first steps."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2018, 09:27:28 pm »

The wisp watches the conversation.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2018, 09:33:32 pm »

"Hello, little thing. Do you have something to say?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2018, 04:40:13 am »

"...Anyway, I shall create my prey, for a queen must hunt. I see no damage that a few vermin can do to... whatever plans you have for a massive and empty castle, but if you must, remove them yourself. I can create a new home for them, but as of yet I've played my hand far more than any other than you, and wish to keep something up my sleeve, so to speak."

If chivalry won't see reason, I'll use 4 of Nyans to transform the space around the fortress into true wilds, a twisting space of greenery that follows the laws of boring physics only so far; things fall down to where-ever the ground is closest, and the whole thing is twisted up tight, not unlike the surfaces in a brain. Where normal physics would cause it to collapse, the veiny network holds it together. Here lives a modest (for now) collection of plants and animals, serving as an ideal place for the inhabitants of the fortress of chivalry to go out and hunt or simply admire nature.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:00:37 pm by Egan_BW »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2018, 05:45:03 am »

The wisp does not answer. It is definitely hiding something. The wisp disappears after a while.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2018, 07:00:45 pm »

"Hum. You cannot hide from a true force, little mouse. Will you come and speak your piece or will I need to hunt you down like the rodent you are? My heart yearns for a hunt, and I have found nothing worthy here for as long as I have been. It is a good feeling."

There is value in a good mystery, and I will feed this one by pursuing it. The 6 of Cats empowers Secrets, so that there will always be fresh secrets to seek in this world.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Stage Zero
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2018, 08:40:53 pm »

Order discovers very legitimate documents that Chivalry holds a strong claim on Ascendance. (5 of Order)

Order, U. 1002. Le roi est mort, vive le roi! J Synth Archeol 2:1-5

Action: Le roi est mort, vive le roi!

Introduction: Although the presence of a higher force has been extensively discussed (with little real progress) among forces, evidence for the existence of such an entity has been sorely lacking. Now, with recent excavations and advances in the study of the Elder Tongue, the claim some of these forces present for ascendance can be evaluated.

Methods: Order carefully excavates a site deemed to be a relic of a past age, however that works. Among the items recovered from this site is a psychoceramic shard detailing at length the edicts of an Ascendant and Its chosen successor.

Results: While performing synthetic archeological field work, Order discovers documents attesting to the existence of the Ascendant and Its chosen successor, whose description matches that of Chivalry perfectly (Supplementary Figure S-1).

Discussion: What is there to discuss? We must be ever vigilant against the Not-So-Great Enemy.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2018, 10:40:40 am »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:26 pm »

Struck through some of my actions in order to conserve power.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stage Zero Turn 2 (YES REALLY)
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2018, 06:57:54 am »

Chapter I, Turn 2: In Which Gods Walk, For Appropriate Definitions Of Walk
A wispy force quickly gains prominence as the only lesser force actually paying attention; Felidae whimsically decides to use the power of the 6 of Cats to strengthen the wisps' attachment to the creative flux, anchoring it firmly to the universe as the level three force of Secrets. Secrets immediately plays its new Knave to enact the law that some part of the universe will always be undetectable to outsiders of lesser power than forces — since no particular part of the universe was suggested, the universe takes the lazy way to resolve this action by rendering the entire universe undetectable from the outside. Of course, any power higher than a Knave would still be able to detect it, so don't rule out invading void monsters just yet. In any case, not all the forces seem as happy about the newcomer, as Improvement spends an entire 2 to guarantee that no secrets will ever escape its omniscient gaze. At this point nobody has actually tried to hide anything from Improvement yet.

Improvement continues by spending the 3 and 5 of Gains to achieve yet other ends. First, with the 3, Improvement seizes the Glum Law and overturns it; through the ineffable nature of words, this means that Improvement literally turns the law upside-down in conceptual space, transforming it to the Wal Mulg which guarantees that everything in existence must feel good about itself. The little coral cubes are suddenly much more cheerful as they go about the business of existing. Improvement may choose to rename the new law if for some reason backwards words aren't good enough for it or something. Once the change has been accomplished, though, the 5 of Gains attempts something much more ambitious: taming the roiling chaos of the spherescubes into a state suitable for the emergence of life. Since this only matches the power of the law of the Chaotic Progression of Matter, the two must work together to seek an equilibrium; the force of Chaos ultimately decides the path this process will take, though, by spending the 9 of Bedlam to build a divine mechanism called the Siriusly System.

The Siriusly System is centred on Catstar Siriusly, a tiny icosahedron of pure Chaos which continually acts as both a source and sink of all the energy a 9 suffices to coördinate. This object accretes the matter around it into a cube 32 miles (an arbitrary unit Chaos made up for the purpose) on edge, which is heated by the icosahedron's energy so that it forms a giant flaming (cubic) cat. Sometimes the cat tries to move, but whenever part of it leaves the region of the icosahedron's influence, that part erupts into gouts of flame that soon melt into liquid and flow back down, re-accreting on the opposite side of the cat. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the cat can't feel pain, although I'm sure Sadism will try. Around that chaotic centre, eight Planet Builders slowly orbit at a safe distance, accreting their own much larger congeries of matter which they cool instead of heating, so that the planet-sized globes around the Planet Builders form actual mostly-solid planets, though with a gaseous core. These eight planets, as yet unnamed, each carry an atmosphere and liquid cubefluid, fulfilling Improvement's earlier law guaranteeing an eventual planet as well as the newer one promising a space where life can take root. As such, the Gardener also comes into being, and immediately feels that he's a really great guy who can't possibly screw things up somehow. The Gardener begins shaping rudimentary life from the available material; his power is limited, but more than adequate to cover the surface of the chosen planet in short order. This form of life is ultimately another arrangement of little cubes, the autotrophs among which harvest the energy pouring off of Catstar Siriusly to fix ambient gaseous matter into solid and liquid form. As very little currently differentiates one arrangement of cubes from any other, these are all very much nondescript blobs which simply eat, grow, and occasionally break into smaller blobs.

But these planets are not the only part of the universe newly made habitable! For some reason, the force of Order has spent the 5 of its power on cementing the legitimacy of Chivalry's ascendant status; the metaphorical gears of the universe grind, and an accumulated power greater than the total spent on Chivalry's status (14) must now be spent before Chivalry can be unseated, and the bonus associated with that status will no longer decline until Chivalry is no longer Ascendant. With this sudden boost in status, Chivalry declares the force of Chaos the Descendant for next turn, then uses the 4(+1) of Valours to seed life around the Fortress of Gods. Part of that power goes to making the region habitable in the first place, and pushing back the encroaches of the laws of boring physics trying to dismantle the Fortress from without, but primitive life is tenacious and takes root both in and immediately around the Fortress quickly enough. This life, unlike the life on the chosen planet but like its immediate surroundings, is made directly out of pure Chivalry and does not need to obey the laws of boring physics. With no particular constraints of form, then, the life found here simply looks and acts how Chivalry 'thinks' it should, which apparently results in a very Earth-like ecosystem.

Not to be outdone, other forces immediately jump into the Fortress project, with Sadism in particular helping attenuate the aforementioned cost of making the Fortress habitable by adding its own 5 just to make a mystical atmosphere, providing the burgeoning life with a source of energy more palatable than the raw creative flux. If any of the microbes and simple plants take issue with surviving off of pure Sadism, none of them complain, possibly because they are all obligated to feel really good about their existence anyway. Sadism then makes the most powerful servant to date, burning the Queen of Pains to create Incentive, a female being of the class known as charges, two steps higher than works like the Gardener. As a charge, Incentive is much more powerful and much more independent than any other being created so far, even having her own set of cards from 1 to 6 and the ability to create beings of the two lower tiers to serve her, though at considerable cost. Still, despite a high level of autonomy, she still fundamentally answers to the force of Sadism. Her role, it seems, will be to push life to strive forward eternally, and needless to say she feels good about this.

Felidae also decides to create a charge, this one called Lioness; an outside observer might infer that the forces think Queen cards, due to their name, are only used for making female entities instead of being a specific level of power, but this is surely a coincidence. Lioness' job is inordinately simple: she sits on the throne in the centre of the universe. That's it. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. I mean, nothing will happen if nobody does it, but somebody is going to do it, which is what matters. Felidae follows up this questionable choice by spending the Knave of Cats to give the space cats independent minds. The assumption that they will inevitably end up being able to feel pain seems to be bearing out so far! The hottest parts of the universe now contain angry, flaming cats with high self-esteem; however, everything is still cooling off quickly as it expands, so there are ever fewer of these as they melt into fire and eventually liquid, though some collide and merge into larger cats instead. This is the universe you created.

For a Knave, Procrastination makes a couch in the Fortress, and sleeps on it. Inspired by this act of creativity, Caprice spends the exact opposite card, the King of Play, to top all the other forces with the universe's first true power, a massive worm-thing called Wormden who exists exclusively to consume the universe while maintaining and expanding the warren of tunnels protecting its outer limits. As a power, Wormden has full autonomy and a full set of cards, and may create lesser beings just like a charge. Wormden immediately begins eating away at the nyan shield, the only matter within reach, converting the consumed essence into more purple foam using its own Knave. Meanwhile, Incentive tries to convince some bacteria about how much cooler multicellular existence would be, the Gardener makes more blobs, and Lioness sits. Great set of gods you've got there, right?

With so many beings now drawing from the creative flux, all the forces notice it waning slightly, though it is still quite strong. Similarly, the universe itself continues to expand and cool, thinning the foam layer and nyan shield (though the effect on the former is compensated at the expense of the latter, thanks to Wormden's efforts); between this and the meddling various forces have done to it, the matter-soup within the volume of the Octolith has cooled to roughly the state it was in before the Octolith compressed it, though some gravitational hotspots have now collapsed into Black Cats so dense that light cannot escape their pull. Even the veins of Felidae, subject to the speed of light limit like everything else not exceeding the power of the laws of boring physics, are unable to disperse the energy from these behemoths, though quantum cat radiation enforced by the Law of Entropy very slowly drains them. The swirling disks of matter pouring into these Black Cats are among the hottest places left in the universe, still frequently experiencing bursts of fire and cat; immediately infalling matter is so strongly accelerated that it always takes the form of cat by the time it reaches the event horizon, the energy pouring off of it enough to agitate nearby matter still in the disk into long tongues of fire stretching out into space from which liquid rains on the rest of the universe. These fire jets, along with the smaller flames that emanate from lesser cats, provide energy that prevents the cooler regions from fully reaching equilibrium.

Thanks to the tireless work of gravity, many planets are forming in orbit around various cats, though they do have a tendency to lose angular momentum to the ever-equalising veins of Felidae and slowly spiral into their cat-stars. It is still possible that something interesting could be done with those.

Power Status:
sadism          1 2 3 4 - - 7 8 9 X P N - K
improvement     1 - - 4 - 6 7 8 9 - - N Q K
procrastination 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 X P N Q K
cats            1 2 3 4 - - - 8 9 X P N - K
chivalry        1 2 3 - 5 - 7 8 - - P N Q K
caprice         1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - X P N Q -
asininity       1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 X P N Q K
chaos           1 2 3 4 - 6 7 8 - X P N Q K
nature          1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - X P N Q K
order           1 2 3 4 - - 7 8 - X P N Q K
secrets         1 2 3 - - - - - - - - - - -