Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Stage Zero Turn 2 (YES REALLY) (OPEN TO APPLICATIONS BTW)  (Read 6927 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Stage Zero
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:15 pm »

Well, the only physical things we have are champions and cats. Will we have planets with a core of champions and a crust of cats?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 08:45:55 pm »

Just because the forces are concepts doesn't mean their creations are.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:27 pm »

Okay wow, turnout way over expectations. Submissions have been pruned to an acceptable number with the help of randomness; the rest of you can be on a waitlist, though, and perhaps you'll get a chance to affect things along the way even from there.

Chapter I
Initially there was nothing. This was generally considered a perfectly acceptable state of affairs by everyone present at the time (viz: nobody), but, as has oft been said, nothing ever changes; so like it or not, change it did.

The first moments of that change were little more than a blur to your forming awarenesses, a swirling rush of energy expanding in every nascent direction. It is as hot as heat and as dark as the centre of the sun, and there is nothing here. Not so fresh and innocent a nothing as the nothing before, though; this is a nothing that's seen some misuse, a nothing showing some wear. As has so often been said, nothing ever changes, and this nothing is ready and eager. That is where you come in.

The first to arise is a thin curl of green smoke winding through the metaphorical plane, serpentine and insidious, the Ace of Pains dreaming of new depths of agony; its reverie is soon interrupted by the charging-in of a fractal flurry of ice-sharp spikes as the Ace of Gains begins to plan horizons to ascend. Their squabbling attracts the attention of the Ace of Valours in the form of a cluster of shimmering lights, closely tailed by a flat orange haze which stares mute and mindless; a shifting panoply of bubbles and a cracked mountain of black glass come into being at almost the same time, while an oddly dripping woolly silver-grey tuft watches suspiciously next to a stack of perfectly identical cubes, and a dense cloud of gently circling maroon specks trails far behind the others. Finally, almost apologetically, a purring spray of light blasts out of nowhere and even sounds the first word in the universe as it names itself Felidae, the Ace of Cats.

The group of budding concepts grow cognizant of one another, while the flood of creative energy washes through them and they feel their power waxing. Each force wields that power through ten increasingly powerful layers, ten concentric sefirot represented by the Knave through Ten of a force's metaphorical suit. For a more personal touch, each force also reserves four powerful face cards, the Page, Knight, Queen, and King, but it's likely that those will not see use for a while yet. Because right now there is nothing, and it will be necessary to change that. To that end, you will have to begin shaping the energy of your home as it cools, a process that will demand you spend your newfound power; and on top of that, forces are always vying on the metaphorical as well as the physical level, and you may wish to act to secure your own advancement even now.

Each force in the universe may spend one or more of its units of power, from 1 to 10, to enact a law of physics with each. Luckily for all of you, no doubt, the universe runs on metaphor and so these laws don't need to be strict mathematical formulae, but simply descriptions. As long as you don't try to break out of your bubble (this would kill you all), the possibilities are pretty vast; you could design anything from a Viking world tree cosmology to a set of elemental planes or a celestial bureaucracy or even, in principle, a perfectly ordinary Earth. Remember, though, that these units of power are not interchangeable, but increasing in value, and the value of power spent on an action will affect the result, especially in the case of conflict.
Alongside that, or instead for any who decline, forces may choose to spend one unit of power at any level as a bid for Ascendancy over the others; the winner of this bid, if any, will enjoy increased power in the next cycle.

Please begin.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:54:32 am by Maximum Spin »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 09:15:57 pm »

Okay, Secrets is the wooly grey tuft?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:36 pm »

No, your color was transparent. The woolly grey tuft is me, Nature.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »

Could we get an overview of how powerful the cards are? Also, do we get our spent cards back at the end of the turn?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:47 pm »

Okay, looks like I'm waitlisted. Sigh. This happens every time.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:55 pm »

Suggests this one that we spread our powers wide, and give each an equal section of universe while the point where meet all would untouched by any remain for now...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 09:22:25 pm »

Suggests this one that we spread our powers wide, and give each an equal section of universe while the point where meet all would untouched by any it remains for now...
*terse nod* Sounds fair. Would need cooperation from everyone, though. Or almost everyone, at least.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 09:31:55 pm »

Perhaps things should have an essence, and that essence will be tied to their realm? Things of Order, for example, might be weakened outside of the Realm of Order. This would let us enforce such an agreement.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:53 pm »

Could we get an overview of how powerful the cards are? Also, do we get our spent cards back at the end of the turn?
The 1-through-10 cards increase relatively linearly. With the raw energy of the universe's birth coursing through you, your powers are almost limitless, and even a one would be enough to do many things; it will not always be thus. Generally, it takes more power to do something the less it directly relates to your force, as well. To take an Earthly analogy, a one should broadly suffice to implement gravity, as long as you aren't worried about gravity being a bit fragile. Electromagnetism might take about a three at minimum. Of course you could try with less, though the result might underwhelm. As for the face cards, they're for embodying your force in the world, when you have one. The Page is about right for creating servants at an angelic level, quite appropriately, and so on from there.

You do not get your spent cards back quite so quickly, of course! There has to be some incentive not to use them all right away. :P

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:34 pm »

You do not get your spent cards back quite so quickly, of course! There has to be some incentive not to use them all right away. :P
Ok then, what's the mechanics for income?

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 09:49:16 pm »

The perfectly identical cubes begin stirring and dividing. (46 of Order)

Action: We Are the World Ordnung muss sein

Introduction: There is a distinct bias toward the chaotic in this world, young though it may be. A proper foundation is required for the proper functioning of all things.

Methods: A fraction of the cubes divides into eight identical cubes and continues dividing well past the point where it is even visible as a coral cloud. On exactly the 64th division, they abruptly cease, indivisible from this point forward barring the effects of other forces.

Results: The Ace of Order invests a fraction of Its essence to provide a foundation for matter and creation

Discussion: No thanks

Errata: Previously, the Ace of Order divided 32 times. This has since been deemed an impossibly low number of divisions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:38:49 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 09:53:58 pm »

Ok then, what's the mechanics for income?
I was going to explain that more fully when you have some, but okay. I can see why you might not want to take risks without further explanation. The numbered cards refill themselves after that number of turns, essentially - so the 1/Knave refills every turn, for example. However, you may also sum lower cards to refill a higher one. Eventually, you will be able to have multiple units at the same power level, as well, but not now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 10:04:39 pm »

"Hmm. This world bores me. Nothing to see, nothing to hunt, nothing to eat."
An eye with a pick iris sweeps over the other forces. Eventually it settles on the green force.
"Ooh, that's a pretty color! I think we can be friends."

Felidae waits, tail swishing, for the others to come up with some decent rules. It idly paws at the Five of Cats, with no particular goal other than to make something. Something... veiny? Yes, a network to transport energy, underlying the orderly foundation of the universe that the orange one is working on.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:34:40 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8