Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I got a great idea for attaining gemstones, shells, and rocks!  (Read 1846 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
I got a great idea for attaining gemstones, shells, and rocks!
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:53:54 am »

Beach combing,
Dwarven Children and Jewelers search around in sandy beaches or brooks to pick up coral, small gemstones, rocks, jewelry or bones!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I got a great idea for attaining gemstones, shells, and rocks!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:54:38 pm »

I vote "to anything bringing shells on every single embark" AYE!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:57:10 pm »

New job added to craftsman workshops - Search for useful materials.

The dwarf will look for things like drift wood, large pebbles, clumps of gems, and small amounts of bones or shells along a designated area (A scavenging area placed along some form of waterway or body of water.)

Pebbles and gems will automatically be pre-cut cabochons, instantly usable for setting purposes or sale. Bits of wood, bone, or shell will be in single units able to be used for making crafts.

Said material is randomly pulled from the available materials to your fort's biome(s,) with water ways of different types offering greater chances of successfully finding a larger amount of materials.

Ponds and brooks might yield the occasional bit of wood, turtle shell, or bone.
Brooks might yield the occasional bit of wood, shellfish or turtle shell, pebbles, or bone.
Streams' river banks have a higher chance of yielding these resources, along with the odd chunk of ore or gems, and Rivers of increasing size even moreso.
All surface waterways might yield amber as well, with ponds having a slightly higher chance.

Oceans and lakes have a significantly higher chance of coughing up wood, shells, and pebbles. Additionally, driftwood may be deconstructed into usable wood. Tropical lakes and oceans might yield coral.

Cavern lakes and if ever returned to us, Cavern Rivers, will instead yield a higher chance of pebbles, ore, bones, and gems.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:46:45 am »

Pebbles and gems will automatically be pre-cut cabochons, instantly usable for setting purposes or sale.
Now why in HELL would they be pre-cut?

All surface waterways might yield amber as well, with ponds having a slightly higher chance.
As far as I know, amber was only ever found washed up on ocean beaches--and while amber technically does exist in DF, no uses for it are implemented.

It seems to me that rough gemstones (or any stones of significant color) would more commonly be located at the bottom of waterways, not the shores. Meaning that the dwarves most likely to discover them would be not children, but Fish Cleaners.

As for stone and wood: rather than searching the ground for pebbles & sticks, it would make more sense to visit the Mason's and Carpenter's shops, take their "scraps" & "rubble" by-products, and use those. If not used for crafting purposes, 3 units of wood scraps can be burned as a single whole log, and rubble (of flux stones, anyway) can be ground into flux--all stone can be smashed into gravel for roadways and concrete.

Randomly-scavenged bone would almost certainly be far too small for crafting purposes.

Embarks that already have access to shells don't exactly need more shells. What would be far more useful is for forts with no such access to have a way to import them. Currently, all imported clams, cave lobsters, turtle meat, etc., is shell-less.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:29:35 am »

Pre-cut presumably because they were smoothed by the water.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 05:04:25 am »

All right, that's a good enough approximation for DF, but I still object for 2 reasons:
1. If a small rock is shiny enough to be immediately used as a gemstone, it's shiny enough for a bird to steal it away to decorate its nest (which currently don't exist).
2. Dwarves are supposed to be renowned for their artistry, and craftwork par excellence. Are we now literally just picking trash up off the ground and saying, "Here, buy dis"?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 05:09:40 am »

This. They've been sitting in the water for who knows how long.

As far as I know, amber was only ever found washed up on ocean beaches--and while amber technically does exist in DF, no uses for it are implemented.

It seems to me that rough gemstones (or any stones of significant color) would more commonly be located at the bottom of waterways, not the shores. Meaning that the dwarves most likely to discover them would be not children, but Fish Cleaners.

The only reason I suggested waterways was presumably amber ending up dropping off trees near the rivers over time, and give you a reason to search the river banks for it, and use tropical oceans or lakes to collect coral chunks.

Additionally, the reason for making it along the riverbank is due to the issues with pathing a running river that's 7/7 deep causes. Easier to just consider say, three tiles out in any direction from the river to be considered searchable "riverbank," while oceans and lakes have their sandy beaches to sift through.

But that is a good point, you'd think you'd find a bit of amber, or a pearl, or bit of stone or gem swallowed by a fish by accident now and then.

As for stone and wood: rather than searching the ground for pebbles & sticks, it would make more sense to visit the Mason's and Carpenter's shops, take their "scraps" & "rubble" by-products, and use those. If not used for crafting purposes, 3 units of wood scraps can be burned as a single whole log, and rubble (of flux stones, anyway) can be ground into flux--all stone can be smashed into gravel for roadways and concrete.

It can be expected a lump of usable rock can sometimes be found having dropped off the ceiling of a cavern, tumbled down a hillside into the water, been rolled by the current or what have you, and usable hunks of wood floating downstream, large-ish branches having broken off trees in the rain and the like.

Still, those are good ideas regardless.  :)

Randomly-scavenged bone would almost certainly be far too small for crafting purposes.

Hence only single units. Bits of fish bone or bird bone left washed up on the river bank that might be usable for some kind of decoration or a bolt tip, if nothing else. May even make a difference for some dwarf if you keep getting animals too small to butcher roaming in and thus no bones.

Embarks that already have access to shells don't exactly need more shells. What would be far more useful is for forts with no such access to have a way to import them. Currently, all imported clams, cave lobsters, turtle meat, etc., is shell-less.

It seems more like this is meant for places lacking in such things in great amount or variety, and could potentially be a life save if your fisherdwarves insist on pulling in cave fish and trouts instead of a mussel or cave lobster your modding dorf needs.

All right, that's a good enough approximation for DF, but I still object for 2 reasons:
1. If a small rock is shiny enough to be immediately used as a gemstone, it's shiny enough for a bird to steal it away to decorate its nest (which currently don't exist).
2. Dwarves are supposed to be renowned for their artistry, and craftwork par excellence. Are we now literally just picking trash up off the ground and saying, "Here, buy dis"?

1. It depends on who gets to it first. Screw the birds, it's our shiny crap now!
2. You seem to think dwarves wouldn't have a few hucksters among their ranks. Or Gem Setters who don't want to wait for a cutter to do his job.  ;)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 05:24:21 am »

A cabochon is simply a smoothed stone, such as one might find in a river.  There is actually a buyers market for "natural cabochons", so they are somewhat more valuable than rough rocks, though less valuable than a faceted gem.

DF already has gizzard stones, which are considered to be a cut gem.  If dwarves can sell a rock found in a turkey's gizzard, they can sell a rock found in a river

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 05:48:23 am »

I don't have anything particularly about this idea but maybe a few thoughts on how to implement it into the game structure.

Scavenging

> Rather than trawling the bottom of a river, you can simply pretend to pan for materials caught in the stream's current via a similar activity to fishing, and rooting around wet dirt for things washed up.

> The actual ability's success rate is determined by RnG and a minor timer between the last time it was searched blocking new spawns, with advancement in this skill for finding salvagable materials increasing your chances, to make it less renewable.

> At some later point when boats are implemented, finding things thrown overboard previously lost in the ocean via scavenging could return them back to civilization.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:57:24 am »

If dwarves can sell a rock found in a turkey's gizzard, they can sell a rock found in a river

On my latest embark, some tree partially fell into river. If Dwarves can find rocks in rivers, then how about wooden logs, few arrows and an animal corpse?

However the point of embarks without shells would be... there is no river!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 06:11:35 am »

If dwarves can sell a rock found in a turkey's gizzard, they can sell a rock found in a river

On my latest embark, some tree partially fell into river. If Dwarves can find rocks in rivers, then how about wooden logs, few arrows and an animal corpse?

However the point of embarks without shells would be... there is no river!

Additionally, if things behaved normally, you wouldn't really be finding shellfish of any sort in rivers in mountains or deserts, at least not in terribly great numbers.

I don't have anything particularly about this idea but maybe a few thoughts on how to implement it into the game structure.

Scavenging

> Rather than trawling the bottom of a river, you can simply pretend to pan for materials caught in the stream's current via a similar activity to fishing, and rooting around wet dirt for things washed up.

> The actual ability's success rate is determined by RnG and a minor timer between the last time it was searched blocking new spawns, with advancement in this skill for finding salvagable materials increasing your chances, to make it less renewable.

> At some later point when boats are implemented, finding things thrown overboard previously lost in the ocean via scavenging could return them back to civilization.

All this sounds pretty neat, and adds on a job for the fisherdwarves similar to the gelders farming got.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:11 am »

Picking up rocks relies on the scavenger skill and upgrades it, the more scavenging skill you have the more visible hidden floor items may be and you'll notice a lot more objects by the sea and rivers in adventurer mode.

Simple stones can be scavenged from any dirt or rough rock tile, the role sort of co-exists as immaterial herbalism.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:11:07 am »

This makes sense. Pebbles should be pretty low-value though.
One wheel short of a wagon

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:24 am »

Dwarves are supposed to be renowned for their artistry, and craftwork par excellence. Are we now literally just picking trash up off the ground and saying, "Here, buy dis"

Those riverstones get encrusted into a lapis lazuli floodgate, you tree person.

Simple stones can be scavenged from any dirt or rough rock tile, the role sort of co-exists as immaterial herbalism.

I don't know man, those plants are physically manifested in the game. I'm not too fond of the infite source of "X" without it being defined by a biological cycle. And what skills would it use? Well how about none, I mean there are allready stones in adventurer mode, tough I'm not quite sure if you can find small rocks on tiles that were empty before (so... good...?!).
let

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:57 pm »

are you calling coral garbage?
coral is considered a valuable gemstone
Pages: [1] 2