Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Boulderhall - An Ogre Outpost (Community)  (Read 3008 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Boulderhall - An Ogre Outpost (Community)
« on: February 10, 2018, 07:36:18 am »

A community fortress - though instead of playing as dwarves, I'll be playing as ogres instead.
I've had this idea for a while - with the current world I have, I figured I might as well go ahead and do it - I mostly want to practise my writing with this, but hopefully an entertaining story will come out of this as well!

I'm using all of my mods together, along with some creatures that were posted in the RAW travesties thread - so don't be surprised if things are more than a little chaotic and occasionally odd.

Updates will be posted whenever they're done - sorry if there's longer lulls between them. I will post some general world info later, maybe the save as well if people want to check legends. I'm also not artistically inclined - so don't expect drawings. Though if any artists are reading, feel free to post your sketches of the events or characters! I'll link them in the opening post.

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The starting...nine? (click to show/hide)

I'll post an update later, once I make some headway. If you want to be dwarfed (or rather, "ogred"), then post your name, profession, gender, some kind of backstory for why your character was sent to Boulderhall, and what caste as well - one-headed, two-headed, or primal/ogre lord - ogron are a separate "pet" creature and we're unlikely to get more than the two we have now.

I'll mostly be writing from the perspectives of the starting 9, as well as any ogres that aren't taken - I'll switch to third-person for whenever sieges or megabeast atacks happen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:40:28 am by ZM5 »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Boulderhall - An Ogre Outpost (Community)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:24:55 pm »

Log of Bork Cageclashes, leader of Boulderhall.

I can't help but think the Imperator has sent us to our deaths. Tokrus is right - this land is cursed.

The trees in this area are...strange, to say the least. Some are purple, jutting spires that seem to be enveloped in shadows - the boys have taken to calling them "glumprongs". The others are...grotesque, to put it mildly. They appear to be made out of raw, exposed flesh - no "branches", instead legs and arms stick out of it, with skin drooping from their ends. I'm ordering the boys to not touch them for now - can't risk them coming alive and mauling us.

I ordered Brok, one of our Ogron, to start digging downwards. The sooner we have safe to stay underground, the better -  I saw something peering from the edge of the eastern river - it quickly retreated back underwater when it noticed that I was looking at it.
I'm ordering everyone to steer clear of it, for now, considering we lack weapons or proper equipment.

Ty'gonk is digging out room for the farms. Before we can start worrying about ore-digging, we'll need a source of food. The wagon we nabbed thankfully had several bags of seeds - we can begin planting as soon as he's done.
I've ordered the boys to construct a trade depot, for whenever the Imperator's merchants come over. I'll have to make up some excuse as to why those twenty guards aren't with us anymore - more important matters come first though.

It started raining - though instead of rainwater, a purplish blood-like substance drops from the sky. I've never seen anything like this before in my life - how long do they expect us to stay here?! If I could, I would just take the wagon and leave this truly god-forsaken place. Whatever we can find underground better be worth dealing with the horrors of this land - I have a gut feeling this is hardly the worst of it.

Dammit. Tulliq came in and said he found Tokrus dead - I don't know what happened, but what remains of his head is just mush. On the bright side, one of the farm plots is finished - atleast we wont be dying of starvation any time soon. I ordered the boys to plant plump helmet spawn immediately.

As I was looking over the ocean, I noticed a waterlogged corpse drift by. Figured I'd check to see if it had any valuables - when I got close, the damn thing sprung back to life and tried to attack me! I managed to cripple it enough for it to drop to the ground. Tulliq and Olar came running - told them to get rid of that damn thing. I gotta say, they got a bit more violent with it than I anticipated - atleast it will trouble us no more.

Farms are completed - stone got in the way of the plots in some cases, but no matter, we can repurpose those for something else. Now that thats done, we'll have to dig out the living quarters next. Furniture for our rooms is being made already, so thats one issue out of the way. I only hope we find some workable ores soon.

Short entry for now - things are still fairly uneventful, though I admit I was surprised at a death of one of our founders before the first month is even up.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:32:59 pm »

Can I get the mods for this? Interested in taking a turn or so.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:15:54 am »

My mods are all in my sig - that said, this is a community fort, not a succession one. I could set one up later if people are interested - I intend for this one to remain a community one.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:22 pm »

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, your evil region monsters are always crazy deadly. Also because I know nothing about ogres, other than that they have layers like an onion.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:14:36 am »

I'm gonna watch this.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

rainbowdashfanboi84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:46:22 am »

what mods do you have in this?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:59:45 am »

what mods do you have in this?
Aside from all the ones in my sig, I'm also using my Merged Megas mod and also the stuff found in the Real RAW travesties thread - both the ones I made and those made by other users. I also have some WIP stuff in the world that I haven't released yet - we're unlikely to see it outside of engravings, however, since the ones I currently have done are good biome creatures.

Ty'gonk's Journal

Boss-lady ordered me and one of the Ogron to dig out a meeting hall and bedrooms for everyone. We're going to be at this for a while.

Given the blood rain, I'm more than happy to stay underground. Last time I went out to clean rock dust off of myself I also saw a large, winged silhouette up in the sky - the others will have to pardon me if I don't want to see what it was up close.

We've dug out quite a bit of ores and other types of stone - what little I remember from my great grandfather teaching me about them makes me think few of these are usable.
Also, Olar came stomping in excitedly. Started talking about "the rain". Turns out, he meant actual rain. With water. Not purplish blood. I suppose it could be considered a sign of hope in this freakish land.

The initial bedrooms are done. Furniture is still being moved in, but for now its good enough.

Olar engraved a crude banner above Bork's bed. It'd be quite fitting if it didn't look like a child's scrawling.

Olm came down in a rush, talking about some Ogres that showed up. Said they were prisoners of the Imperator as well, that were sent down to this colony - how they survived the trip, I have no idea. Bork figured we might as well let them in, no harm in having more working hands.

Good enough spot to end for now - things have been oddly quiet, but atleast we're getting some headway in having a proper home. Most of the aboveground predators went off the map, and in their place a bunch of Kangoose Snailfin Goats popped up.
We only got three new migrants:
O'kigg Toemurders - Cook.
Blokyo Findersjade - Animal Caretaker.
Slos Voicesabre - Bookbinder.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:53:34 pm »

Uh, could you post the description of a 'snailfin goat', because I'm really curious as to what it's actually like to have a snailfin. Or could you just try to describe it yourself?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:15 pm »

Ombragon made those - their in-game description is "A medium-sized herding animal. It have the legs of a kangaroo, the head of a goat, the beak of a goose and is able to swim using slimy fin-like appendages. It's prized for its milk and eggs."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:40 pm »

Hello yes I would like to report a bug. These ogres do not appear to be Shrek.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 06:17:31 am »

You know what they say about bugs, they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 11:15:38 am »

I'll make sure to buy some donkeys if the opportunity arises.

Olm's Journal
Boss-lady ordered us to write these journals. Says that its for anyone else who gets sent here, so that they know to stay away, in case something should kill us. Waste of time, if you ask me - but what the hell, I'll humor her.

One of the miners breached an opening in one of the cavern walls - revealed a vast cavern.

The thing looks muddy though. Would be useful for farms, provided we can get down there and set up a secure area. I have a feeling whatever dwells here would not like us, though.
Some of the trees look like they have fruit growing on them - could use those as well.

There's gold here as well. Should get a smelter going soon, though we need more room for that.

A foreign visitor came today - introduced himself as Gura Spokenrage, a monster hunter. What he's doing here or how he even found our god-forsaken hole in the ground, is beyond me. I've never seen one of his species before - Slos, the bookbinder who arrived last month, tells me he's a Primal Beast - a shamanistic people that worship gods of the elements - outside of mercenaries seeking fortune in other lands, they mostly seem to keep to themselves. She mentioned how the Troggs once invaded their lands - within the first few months of the counter-offensive, the settlements of the Troggs were mostly reduced to rubble - only five of them are still standing. It seems that even now the Primal Beasts actively hunt the survivors.

Gura's own "accomplishments" aren't impressive to any true Ogre. Only killed two orcs in single combat? Bah! Back in my glory days I could kill twenty, while blindfolded! Puny orcs are no match for any real warrior - and yet Bork accepts him into our fold? The others surely must see she is unfit to rule over us!

The miners found another cavern. This one seems far more...unnatural and eerie, than the last. Even from this far away, I saw the mutilated bodies of some creatures near the lake.
The trees appear strange. One variety has a dark purplish bark, with "leaves" that appear to be made out of raw flesh - others are withered and overgrown with insect eggs - I saw a few that appear to be made out of bone, with deformed skulls growing on them. They chatter occasionally as though they're kept alive by something. It echoes through the cavern - bound to get annoying.
Atleast we have a fairly clean water source now - the river aboveground keeps flowing with blood.

Looks like the Imperator's lapdog and her caravan arrived. Atleast they have some weaponry for sale - perhaps they're not completely useless.

Well, that was an embarassing display. A clefthoof charged at the caravan - one of the guards tried to fend it off, but got his neck broken. Another stabbed the thing in the head, killing it. Atleast we can use his armor.
Not much we can get - all we have is some stone crafts that we can sell. Slos managed to get a morningstar and some barrels of beer for all the gems and crafts we sold to the merchants. Miners are still digging out room for the forges - plenty of lignite and bituminous coal here, though - won't be long before we can make our own weaponry.

Well I sure wasn't expecting one of the guards to die to a random clefthoof.

The digging I did shows we have quite a few nice metals on this embark - khorium, glowing cobalt, a bit of felslate too, amongst others - we'll be pretty well covered once the forges are fully set up. Progress is pretty slow, though, given the very small amount of citizens we have, and given I have to take some safety measures so the cavern critters don't wander into our fort and start messing things up.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 12:03:11 pm »

Sorry for the larger delay in updates, I was working on some mods, amongst other things.

O'kigg's Journal

Well, that was idiotic. One of those merchants started fiddling with his wagon for some reason, and ended up breaking the whole thing. The others rode away in shame. Atleast we still bought some goods from them.

On the bright side, the barracks are done - a small hospital was set up as well. They will have to do for now. Olar, Olm and Tulliq have started training as well - though, we only have one dark iron morningstar, currently used by Olm.

A fresh batch of arrivals came in - ten of them. Their visible disgust was amusing - can't blame them, they were completely soaked in purple blood. Two introduced themselves with Dwarven-sounding names. Spies perhaps? Will have to keep an eye on them.

Ug'lok, a ranger, brought a pet goren and a pet riverbeast with her. They're merely adorable for now, but they should prove useful once they grow up.

Stockpile has been dug out. Should do for now - can always dig out more room if neccessary.
Miners are working on bedrooms for the new arrivals as well.

A Zandalari Troll by the name of Ahuklat Gulfstoked arrived to our little home today. Asked the boss-lady to join for the purpose of monster-killing - can't hurt I suppose, we could always use skilled warriors that can help defend Boulderhall.

Not long after winter arrived on the calendar, another mercenary showed up - a Neferset dagger-slinger, named Nadarim Royalgrasp. Supposedly killed a vicious dragon turtle with a well-aimed throw - surely she'll be a great asset to our ranks.

A forge, several smelters and some wood furnaces have been set up. Finally we'll be able to make more worthwhile crafts, and most importantly, some weapons for our warriors. Things are definitely looking up.

Gonna stop here for now - things should be going a lot more smoothly now that we have a lot more working hands, along with a forge and plenty of bituminous coal and lignite for coke-making. Seriously, there's a ton of it on this embark for some reason - I do still hope we find a magma lake in the third layer or something, so I can make magma forges and not have to worry about jobs being cancelled due to not having enough charcoal/coke.
Spoiler: New arrivals (click to show/hide)
We're over 20 citizens now, so we technically count as a "hamlet" now and not an outpost - that said, as you saw the ogre's home is still very simple and ugly. I'm thinking of making a little underground "town" with the space I want to carve out during some ore-digging - should be a fun little project.

GamingMasterAnthony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 03:07:52 pm »

I'm game, if this is still open.... And if I can get DFM Fortress mode to not crash. Seriously, adventure mod works just fine but once I get to the strike the earth screen, crash
Pages: [1] 2