Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monitor Lizard Bite  (Read 664 times)

Kamdiere

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
Monitor Lizard Bite
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:36:55 pm »

So, I added a venom to monitor lizards, because they have them and why not make those bastards even scarier? Maybe I should give them wings and a venom cloud breath attack...

I gave them a necrotic venom (below) with low severity and long duration, though upon further research, it appears their venom also causes a measure of pain (and bleeding, but necrosis covers that, supposedly). Not extreme, but far from pleasant. So, what sort of severity should that pain have? I have no idea and am having a hard time finding a measuring-stick for pain units.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, necrosis on the low end is indicated by gouting, right?
Performing oral sex is like thinking rationally: all humans are technically capable of doing so, but most can't do it well and few choose to do so on a daily basis.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor Lizard Bite
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:13:12 pm »

Is it possible the pain isn't coming from the venom, but rather just the lizard bite itself?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 06:36:45 pm »

uhm

I've got it on fair authority that "gouting" is a horrifying rate of bleeding for anything around human-sized

usually only achieved by torn jugulars

Kamdiere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »

Nah the venom makes the pain associated with the bite worse. It's like being bit two or three times at once in the same spot best I can tell.

As for gouting... huh, I put that condition on a few body parts of this damn clown recently with a monitor lizard man. Most things don't survive long enough to experience the necrosis, but this clown. I bit him early on once or twice and was scouring his descriptions and such for anything that might indicate necrosis. I had to !!SPARTA!! him repeatedly (5 times down 4 z levels)) to kill him. Also the clown was gigantic.

Checked the definitions of 'gout'. It can mean either the disease which is kinda similar to necrosis (plus other uncomfortable things) or a lot of stuff getting shot out, usually in a stream. Like blood or fire. I guess it's good for the guy not dealing with it in either case.
Performing oral sex is like thinking rationally: all humans are technically capable of doing so, but most can't do it well and few choose to do so on a daily basis.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:22:05 pm »

I checked the string dump to be sure, got a little confused by how "gouting" was listed right after all the adjectives for swelling and away from the bleeding terms, kicked up arena mode and chopped a giant's throat open to see for sure.

And major arteries scale their, uh, output to creature size to make sure that a ripped aorta kills just about anything in a few turns no matter what. I'm sure now, this is the biggest descriptor for open blood loss the game knows.

Kamdiere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:40 am »

I see, good to know, thanks.

Well, here's the meat of the syndrome I've put together for the monitor lizard venom.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Errors or goofs? Numbers low or high? Aiming for a slow rotting of flesh that isn't likely to be important in most fights and an also minor, though very unpleasant, pain associated with the bite.

GENERATION 29: