Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Gods Race Rebirth: Light (Turn 3, Design)  (Read 11498 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Gods Race Rebirth: Turn Three
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2018, 03:15:03 pm »

Research Phase 3.

Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: General Knowledge (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:44:31 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Gods Race Rebirth: Light (Turn 3)
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2018, 04:13:19 pm »

We have: -Skirmish
               -Air Superiority
               -Heavy Foot Infantry
               -Armor
               -Piercing/Slashing weaponry
               -Defensive 'Tank' (Archangel)

We lack: -Ranged weaponry/Artillery
              -Healing support
              -Complex Battlefield Tactics
              -Blunt weaponry
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:17 pm »

Veloci Battle Mage
From an early age the aspiring youngsters are chosen and trained to become elites amongst their kin. They are trained in clawed martial art to shape their bodies like Mithril and then they are trained in healing magic. They use chants to channel healing spirits, more complicated spells are done with chants and dances.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2018, 04:35:55 pm »

Well, this DOES assume we're going to see something even SIMILAR to medieval/gunpowderless combat, but to fight a battle we need:

1. Skirmish Force
-Wear down the enemy before engagement, cripple poorly-protected enemy units (i.e., unarmored archers, artillery pieces and their crewmen)
+ Archers, missile cavalry, light cavalry
2. Fixing Force
-Once battle is joined, hold the enemy in place. It's preferable if you also break their formation (i.e., use a wedge shaped frontline so the enemy doesn't maintain a good shield wall, and faces inwards rather than outwards).
+ Pikemen or anyone with a shield.
3. Shock Force
-Once the enemy is held in place, flank them with shock units and smash their exposed flanks.
+ Heavy cavalry, sometimes well-armored infantry with two-handed weapons for the faster attack and heavier punch.

Alternatively, we can go straight to "medieval knights" and equip every unit we deploy with full Mithril plate and a polearm or kriegsmesser (Probably misspelled German for "war knife", very shape, very large sword meant to cut through soft armors) of some sort, and let formation sort itself out. Basically, when wearing plate armor, you don't need a shield and you don't need to keep the enemy away from you, you just take the hits (without feeling much of anything) and keep killing.
In this second case, our lineup looks a little more like

1. Skirmish Force
- Same as above
2. Fixing Force
- Did you think you were getting away without regular infantry? These guys basically keep the enemy from overwhelming your primary combatants.
+ Might be spearmen, might be pikemen (pikes preferred), might be just a bunch of guys with munition armor instead of full plate. Either way, they keep the numbers from getting too much in your enemies' favor, basically just holding the enemy in place (if he moves wrong he gets impaled) and letting the knights kill and retire (plate is really, really hot to wear for extended periods of time, and plate-armored soldiers need to back off to rest and cool down in extended engagements)
3. Shock Infantry
- Same as described above
4. Shock Cavalry
- Kind of excessive given what the primary force is, sometimes you might bring lancers, which aren't quite as well-armored as the knights, but still make use of the force of a charge to make it harder for the enemy to fight.

Either way, we're missing non-integrated weaponry for our soldiers, and we're missing mounted shock units (or equivalents). Also, we don't actually have any sort of ranged weapon, just magic that we can't utilize yet.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »

We should keep in mind that we don't have any idea how effective, efficient, or costly our current designs are at this moment
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2018, 04:45:10 pm »

We will after this turn, though. So, we might as well assume they've succeeded, since any other assumption isn't going to work very well at all.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2018, 07:02:38 pm »

Air superiority is far more effective when we can use that to rain death from above. Should we use lasers, guns, bows, spears, or something else? I'm personally thinking the first one; easier to have a reason that they can be reloaded without eventually having to come down for more ammunition.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2018, 07:16:15 pm »

We should definitely just use the burning-light beams for ranged weapons, though indirect ranged fire (i.e., can be utilized from behind our ground-forces lines) will also be useful.

However, flying ranged fighters can't win every battle. Not in, say, the Earth realm, and not after they learn to carry shields or wear armor or some such. Either way, what tactics should we use? Alternatives welcome.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 02:40:14 pm »

Well Artillery/indirect fire is always great to have access and the idea of monstrous creature being the support mounts for things like ballistaes and catapults has a possibility. Also chariots are really effective shock unit, but don’t expect it to be good in constant melee and we could get those. I mean I have two ideas for designs and/or revisions we could have

Research: Monstrous Reptiles
Many things of mythology have originated from the reptile derivative, such as dragons, war hydras which both have amphibian+serpentine creatures, to even just really large scaled vertebrates, heck even really dragon turtles. The divine god of Order designated their arcane focus on understanding more of the intricacies of large variants of these dry-scaled creatures and of their functioning to how to create them. The role of all of these creatures,  since usually they are of the very large creature variety really only single folds into two roles, that of being shock and direct melee engagers. However some of these creature are perfect for mounting specific war machines on.

Design: Angelic Artificers
Based on the Thevyrns, these are smaller variants of the archangel but built with fine hand manipulation and obsidian-colored eyes, and have the skilled knowledge of construction magic and the art of artifice. They wear silken robes and have a greyish tiny to their angelic skin, and are imprinted with a wide array of knowledge. The current version of them are golemsmiths and can create flesh automatons like the Ressurectionist and Veloci with their own hands, and are still smiths and can crafts and utilize weapons of war.

Reptiles just doesn’t directly correlate to things like dinosaurs, but it has versatility in its usefulness because of many associated creatures that is of the reptilia family, can provide many uses on the battlefield, but usually in the fear-causing shock role.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2018, 02:44:48 pm »

Chariots are not good for shock warfare, not really. Too much weight on the horse(s) and too clumsy, and they can't turn around and get out of the fight after the charge. Single riders on horses and/or a horse-and-rider equivalent (not necessarily a centaur, a larger and fast creature capable of wearing armor and carrying weapons, or being naturally armored and having natural weapons, would likely work just as well, if not better.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2018, 02:51:12 pm »

SC, while that may be a good thing for later, arming our flyers with range should be the first priority. It's just better synergy with what we have right now. Any ground troops should more likely be made to distract from our air guys.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2018, 02:53:26 pm »

Than why aren’t we designing either a longbow?, or a recurve bow?

Also it’s research, meant to make the more advanced designs less difficult.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:49 pm »

Than why aren’t we designing either a longbow?, or a recurve bow?
Because we're designing laser staves instead.

Let's just get a votebox in here...
Quote from: Voting
Laser staves: Glass, Madman

Anyone else want to add stuff, go ahead.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2018, 03:01:02 pm »

Quote from: Voting
Laser staves: (1) Glass
Thevryn: (1) Madman

I'll repost the design when I'm not busy, but suffice to say that I think we ought to invent Thevryn first so we know the roll by next turn. We can worry about the lasers (which might count as a revision, and should certainly be fairly easy) next turn.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2018, 03:05:29 pm »

Well their are a few questions that need to be determined with laser staffs. One is it a “beam” of energy, or does it shoot just like energy pulses out of the crystal orb from the staff. Another one is what is the desired range values?, if it shot out a “beam” of energy than it should have close-moderate range but a lot more armor-piercing + damage properties, while a staff that just shot out pulse bolts of energy would have a greater effective range like up to 100m. Finally is the desired energy battery type it would have, essentially how much “laser” time or bolt could it shoot out before the light crystal orb would have to recharge/be replaced.

I guess it would be the beam variety since it’s based on the Scoring Light knowledge we have
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13