Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why don't my dwarves pick up eggs?  (Read 1526 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why don't my dwarves pick up eggs?
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:42:10 am »

my whole fortress ignored all the eggs for almost one year. why?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why don't my dwarves pick up eggs?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:25:27 am »

I can see two reasons:
1. You've locked to door to keep the birds in place, so there's no path to them.
2. Egg collection is a very low priority task, taken only when there is nothing "important" (like hauling of skeletons from the caverns) to do (unlike harvesting, which interrupts miners two days down so they return up to harvest a blasted plant before trying to go down again). I frequently get eggs that hatch because the dorfs never gets to collecting them (I'm running a very short dwarfed fortress, so I've still got a lot to do to trim their work load).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:20:58 am »

3) you don't have an egg stockpile
4) you do have an egg stockpile, but you accidentally pressed (a) over it, making it a take from links only stockpile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:51 am »

3) you don't have an egg stockpile
4) you do have an egg stockpile, but you accidentally pressed (a) over it, making it a take from links only stockpile

not these cases but still thank you for replying :)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:48:29 am »

I can see two reasons:
1. You've locked to door to keep the birds in place, so there's no path to them.
2. Egg collection is a very low priority task, taken only when there is nothing "important" (like hauling of skeletons from the caverns) to do (unlike harvesting, which interrupts miners two days down so they return up to harvest a blasted plant before trying to go down again). I frequently get eggs that hatch because the dorfs never gets to collecting them (I'm running a very short dwarfed fortress, so I've still got a lot to do to trim their work load).

which labor is used to pick up eggs? food hauling?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:12:42 am »

I would expect it to be food handling, but don't know for sure. Have you checked if the wiki says anything (I haven't)?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:15 pm »

I would expect it to be food handling, but don't know for sure. Have you checked if the wiki says anything (I haven't)?

Forbidding eggs on the kitchen menu will not prevent dwarves from removing them from the nest box — it will only prevent them from being cooked. Similarly, modifying all stockpiles to disallow eggs will prevent hauling jobs, however the eggs remain available for cooking and eating

I think it's food hauling if I'm not taking it wrong