Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could the Workflow Plugin from DFHack be included in future builds?  (Read 741 times)

BionicMeatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DFHack has really spoiled me, and the entire reason why is because of the Aforementioned plugin. It gets rid of so much micromanagement that it makes the vanilla game feel somewhat like a chore.

The ability to tell dwarves "Hey! I want you to keep making barrels until we have 500 of them" makes things a hell of a lot easier

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Could the Workflow Plugin from DFHack be included in future builds?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:26 am »

You can do that. Check the manager screen for work orders.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BionicMeatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:38:03 am »

really? I haven't played in months and I didn't even know that function worked like that

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:24 am »

Yeah manager works just fine for that. It works differently from the dfhack version so it might take some getting used to. I find it does everything I need and can't think of much else I'd want it to do.

But, like with swapping from Windows to Linux and vice versa, there's always people who will tell you that one absolutely essential function they used to use being missing kills the game for them.

By the way, Dfhack is a 3rd party util, it's not part of Dwarf Fortress and never will be. Not much point requesting that Toady include modules from it in his game.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 04:05:48 am »

But, like with swapping from Windows to Linux and vice versa, there's always people who will tell you that one absolutely essential function they used to use being missing kills the game for them.
The issues I know of:
  • It's limited by which job details are implemented. For instance, you can't set material on milling jobs. You need to setup separate workshops (with stockpile links) for checking quarry bush, sweet pod, pig tail, etc., in order to prevent it from overproducing a single category. DFHack's Alt+a works for all workshop jobs.
  • In order to check just bags instead of boxes, you have to add the "sewn-imageless" trait. Lots of other unintuitive workarounds.
  • Only checks available items. No option to include tasked and equipped items.
  • Lacks production threshold feature of DFHack. Instead of being able to start a batch when quantity falls below 10 and then stopping at 100, you'll be queuing up individual jobs every time it drops below 100.
  • Work order cancel spam. Orders don't stop or pause when materials are unavailable.
  • Work order completion spam.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:33:38 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 05:12:31 pm »

• Lacks production threshold feature of DFHack. Instead of being able to start a batch when quantity falls below 10 and then stopping at 100, you'll be queuing up individual jobs every time it drops below 100.

I mean, you could make it produce 90 units when you drop below 10
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:30:34 am »

I mean, you could make it produce 90 units when you drop below 10
If another job uses up the materials, you'll start getting cancellation spam.

Which brings up another issue: Orders don't stop when materials run out.