Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we skip forward to the end of the Prologue?

No, I want to keep going week by week.
Yes, bring on the VIOLENCE!

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68

Author Topic: Eventide University IC: The Fourth Awakening  (Read 31845 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Eventide University IC: Nocte Invidia
« Reply #945 on: August 18, 2019, 09:59:52 pm »

the creatures are slain, the last bolts of crimson lightning draining into the floors and objects surrounding them in a muted flash. For those in the tower, this is a welcome reprieve, but for those down in the courtyard it's a mere breath, a moment of peace before more of the countless creatures that surround them begin to crowd inward again.

"Uh, everyone, i think we should probably get down there, your teammates look like they could use some help... Though I guess Alex could just stay up here and snipe with his cane, apparently." Yggdra twists herself a body out of the wooden cane that she had been possessing, arms crossing, looking worriedly outside the window before gesturing, a whirl of leaves momentarily blinding those in the room before they'd find themselves down with their allies, back to back and surrounded by more and more entities descending from the clouds above... and then they stop. The stick-figure-like beings pause in their advance, looking up into the sky, and begin, in unison, to make a sound like a tesla coil firing up, a sort of loud humming noise interspersed with cracks and sizzling noises... something was happening.

Probably nothing good.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 18, 2019, 11:31:30 pm »

Alex grins smug as fuck as he stands up, looking as light and lithe as a feather.

"I do believe that our grand experiment has quite paid off. I learned more than how to simply show these ragamuffins the full power of the World Tree, but I rather think the other bit of arcane power I gained is perhaps...Not bested to be used right now. Or in any situation outside of a dire emergency." He goes over to the window and takes in a deep breath, like its the sweets mountain air in the world. "Still, I do believe there is yet more trash to be taken out."

He twirls the head of his cane around his wrist and points it down at the strange creatures in a threatening, accusatory motion. "When you see whatever malignant master you worship, of the rest of your misguided fellows in your home dimensions. Let them know that Alexander Wescott Rand does not take kindly to intrusions upon his realm. Now begone, I wish to look upon you no longer."
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Mistwing

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing too much to keep up
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 19, 2019, 05:51:45 am »

Idunna sort of fell backwards against the wall for a short breather as the immediate threat seemed handled. Or well. She would have only the wall disappeared moments later and she was out in the storm. ... Without the right kind of gear or any kind of preparation. Oh joy.

"What!?" Well, shit. Good thing she hadn't had a chance to turn off the seiðr. She raised the improvised weapon like a bat and squinted through the heavy rain whipping her in the face. "I did tell you guys I'm not really the fighting type, right!?"

Meanwhile the rest of the students outside were joining in on the formation. Slowly forming a sort of improvised phalanx as best they could against the growing onslaught. Those with weapons forming the outer circle around those more magically inclined, wounded, or not fit to fight with pokey sticks. No one really got out of fighting entierly though. Not the time for moral objections exactly.

The only one left out of the circle was the chipper black haired girl everyone had avoided earlier. Only they weren't quite avoiding her now. As more of the creatures thundered to the earth in the rain the de-facto leader of the improvised group -- The senior student with the sword -- shouted across the pavement to where she stood on an abandoned car. "Ashnah! Fucking help for once!"

The girl just turned, and grinned ear to ear at the group. "I am helping, man. Chill out. Well, don't. Fight or you'll die. But you'll be fine. Probably."
Is your sexual purity worth more than bringing the dead back to life!?
----
I'M INSERTING MY DOUBLE MAXIMUM REPEATING WIND
INTO YOU DIRECTLY

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 19, 2019, 03:18:47 pm »

Lilly was breathing heavily after the initial fight (despite, you know, vampire) , shaking a little - the initial fight had gone well, better than one could reasonably expect, but this was a bad situation to say the least. She stood in the makeshift phalanx (because of course - she was carrying an actual spear, after all) and tried to ready herself for a rough time, before the monsters stopped in their tracks. "Does anyone know what they're doing...?" she said, although she was fairly sure the answer would be "no".
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #949 on: August 19, 2019, 04:57:36 pm »

Scarlet heaved a sigh of relief as the last of the creatures dissipated, only for it to be cut off as she glanced out the window. The remaining air in her lungs promptly became a high pitched, involuntary shriek of terror as she found herself suddenly inside the downpour. It was all she could do to avoid running for cover immediately, and some primal part of her brain was still shouting at her to get away or face certain death. This, of course, was not helped by the myriad other things to assault her senses and her nerve: the bloodlust still trying to form, the energy Alex was radiating both frightening her and making her feel hungry, and whatever the strange lightning creatures were doing.

The vampire forced herself to take on a proper fighting stance - without realizing it, she'd dropped into a crouch like a startled animal searching for the closest bolt-hole, barely able to form coherent thoughts through all of the other things she was trying to deal with mentally.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 19, 2019, 05:22:30 pm »

Bernie, for her part, looks incrediblly....distraught after the fight ends. She looks more than frazzled as she stares at where the monsters were but a moment before.

This whole thing was a mess. This definitely wasn't what she'd signed on for, not at all. Scarlet was going mad, Idunna was panicking, Lilly was panicking, and nothing was right.

All she wanted to do was learn to play the violin. Not....fight lightning monsters and suddenly find herself in the middle of what looked like a war zone having to fight for her life. That happened to TV show characters and characters in old manga. It didn't happen to people in real life. It shouldn't.

She robotically takes up a position in the phalanx, carrying on almost on autopilot.
"W-what's....going on?"

Zacha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 20, 2019, 10:04:46 am »

The unyielding torrential downpour in the courtyard had caused several puddles to start forming, and as it happened one of the lightning spirits was standing rather close to one of them. Now, some of y'all might be thinkin' I'm gonna do something like say somebody arrives and splashes the water on the lightning spirit and messes it up. And, well, maybe some of that is about to happen. There's gonna be a splash of water, and the lightning spirit is gonna get messed up, and it is gonna be from a character entrance, but it ain't quite so standard as all that.

With a sort of roar-hiss, a thing, shaped like a man eight or nine feet tall, with mottled green scales and a huge toothy maw exploded from the puddle. Yeah, from the puddle. Ain't no way a critter like that could be hiding in a little pool of standing water like that--but here he be! The gator-man's arms wrapped around the lightning spirit in a crushing bear hug as his head twisted to the side and clamped down on its midsection. With a vicious lift and twist, the man suplexed the spirit back down into the puddle, and both disappeared for a moment. Looking carefully into the water, one might see a mighty tussle occur between the two as a sort of blurry reflection within the puddles--the mysterious newcomer had the spirit by the "throat" and had started to roll, over and over, ripping it apart somehow and swallowing the pieces.

There was a brief pause, then--and then the gator emerged once more from a puddle, landing on his feet. Feet which almost immediately looked human again more than gator, though they were clad in gator-skin crocs. Matter of fact, the rest of him looked human as well. Old camouflage pants and a dirt-stained white T-shirt clothed him, and his face hadn't been shaved in a while, but he had a big ol' unmistakable grin and a curious lightning in his eyes.

"Hey, folks," said Bojangles, who burped and released several sparks from his mouth as he did so. "Looks like ah made it back jes' in time fer th' party!"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:02:53 pm by Zacha »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 22, 2019, 01:24:00 am »

Dom looked around in confusion as the elementals stopped fighting and started... doing that. He didn't know what it was they were actually doing speaking honestly, but he did take this break to pull back into the mass of students defending the school. The Texan also took the time to reload, quickly doing so manually before finally with an exasperated sigh he took aim at one of the elementals and let blast a bullet of anti-mana energy. "It don't matter what they're doing 'less it's giving up! Keep fightin' ya idjits!"

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 22, 2019, 08:47:58 am »

The lull in the battle is enough - just enough - for Albert to gain some semblance of control over his mind once again. He plants a foot down into the floor, legs straight, and then its' sibling next to it. He stands, hands clutching his temples, teeth grit tight, tight enough to hurt his gums a little... before he opens his eyes, each pupil glowing bright pink.

"Setzen," he slurs, eyelids twitching as he stares at the shadowy projection, still slobbering all over the room. Its' eyes scan around, at the walls, at the furniture, at the other students, at Albert. "Setzen," he repeats, narrowing his eyes at Dog Eat Dog.

It makes a single paw-step towards him, growling lowly. Albert's hands clench fiercely, his hair bunching up between his fingers. "Setzen!" He commands, a faint flash of pink flaring from his forehead. The beast shakes a little, its' shadowy form spasming and churning, before it collapses - the pile of limbs it devolves into a mere approximation of 'sitting'. Albert sighs with relief.

Relief which is rapidly dashed when he's forcibly transported into the downpour, next to the other students - with more of these electric figures around them. He could probably have read that this was going to happen, but... dammit, dammit. This still makes his legs shake, as if he wants to kneel down in despair.

No. Control. His eyes flick to the projection, getting up onto its' heels even at the mere hint of Albert's agitation. If he loses control, Dog Eat Dog is let loose right with it. Control. Something he always had trouble with maintaining. But that's why he went to Eventide in the first place, isn't it? Further his skills, develop himself into someone who could overcome that? He was lucky he kept the thing from trying to eat Scarlet or Idunna or Alex back in the room, but this time he won't be lucky.

'Cause he'll be in control instead.

"Jagen," Albert breathes simply, and this time his projection follows the command without a second of fuss, diving into the ground to continue it's feast of destruction.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:49:42 am by Sl4cker »
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Eventide University IC: The Fourth Awakening
« Reply #954 on: August 22, 2019, 10:38:29 am »

The twisted forms of the lightning-figures sang. Some of them died, the sparks of their life beginning to drift upward into the sky along with those who had died before.The storm above, they would begin to notice, was beginning to fade. This was not normal, obviously, even mundane hurricanes usually clinging to life for days even after completely being cut off from the warm waters that fed them, and these magical ones were generally worse… Perhaps this was a good thing, perhaps they were damaging it, or perhaps the violent nature of Alex’s ritual had hurt it in some way.

Of course, a few of the students, those with a mind for science and ritual, would see differently. Alex, in particular, having just done something similar, would see a horrifying symmetry between the actions of the storm and the ritual he had just completed. Build up energy below, forge a path to the heavens, and call down the might of the storm in the same way natural lightning courses its route through the sky. But then, if the storm wished to blast them all with some enormous discharge of lightning, surely it could manage it directly?

His mind, trained for such things from birth, racing through the events that had happened so far.

Lightning elementals, laced with uncanny energy, inimical to life and reality, something abhorrent to most elemental spirits, tainted with some primal chaos that had driven them mad.

The storm, with at least the force of an elemental dragon, dying from the inside, the scraps of its soul spinning apart in the air above.

It’s true, they were killing it.

As the creatures below die, their chaos, that malignant blight that had corrupted them, would return, like the rest of them, to their mother storm, and like a subtle poison it was tearing it apart from within, but why? Why create these beings, like some kind of living ritual? What could one possibly hope to gain from…

Then the last piece clicks into place.

The hurricane, an enormous source of magical and worldly power.

The gate, high above, impenetrable, yet clearly still extant, if sealed tightly.

And his own ritual, calling forth the energy of the storm to empower his servant. He realizes then that it would not have worked with just the storm, that it would not have worked anywhere else, some little detail that had slipped his notice in the complex intermingling of forces he had worked. Some part of him had factored it in, but on a level that he didn’t quite notice what he was putting together.

Yggdrasil, the tree of which Yggdra drew the bulk of her power, was a tree that spanned worlds. True it was a force of nature, but it was also the World Ash, and the power of but one world wouldn’t have been enough to cause such a drastic change in one of its agents. No, that would have taken dimensional energy, an energy that spanned worlds itself… such as that bound in the disc of torn space above their heads, a disc which would have been slightly, imperceptibly shifted by the energy torn from it.

And then he realizes: If this is a lightning bolt, the hurricane isn’t the storm in the equation.

It’s the ground.

And then the world exploded, the numberless lightning figures shattering like spun glass, a final scream of static deafening them as crimson lightning streaks up, through the storm, becoming an inverted tornado of screaming chaos that shreds the storm in its wake, pulling the soul of the dragon with it like some enormous, eldritch bore to slam into the Gate hovering above.

The Gate of Domination, some part of him, of all of them, identifies it.

And then the Gate opens, and the sky is blasted clear of clouds as the Fourth Awakening begins.

The sky above was black, black beyond black, the stars blotted out as cracks spread out from the ring of the Gate itself, reality itself having taken a wound from the cataclysmic powers which had been arrayed against it.

but the storm which had surrounded the Gate, the tearing winds which had torn apart any who approached it silenced, and in their place, a familiar crimson glow frames a disc of impenetrable darkness, its unsettling light spreading outward through the cracks in the firmament that surrounded it, and from the heart of the Gate, they could feel that something was approaching, a wordless fear settling into the pits of their stomach.

Except for Alex, maybe, he's generally had weird reactions to nameless terrors in the past.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:50:30 am by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Mistwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 22, 2019, 11:42:43 am »

Idunna, like most everyone else, stood staring upwards at the shattering sky in silent shock and building dread. When someone shoots at you, you hit the ground. When a landslide comes your way, you run. But when the sky comes crashing down there's nothing you can do really, save wrestle with the tangled emotional response such a situation would evoke.

That is, unless you're Ashnah apparently. The girl thrust both fists into the air from her make-shift stage atop the char and let loose a joyfull "Whooooo!" that cut through the heavy silence and jumped off the car to pull (and she had to pull, considering how much taller he was) B.Bob into a grip of her arm hooked around his neck like a older sister congratulating a younger brother at some once-in-a-lifetime event. "Just in time, guy! Just in time to see the moment everything changed! Again!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:46:40 am by Mistwing »
----
INTO YOU DIRECTLY

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:24 pm »

Alex's triumphant grin slowly faded off of his face as he watched the Gate of Domination swing open and the Fourth Awakening begin. He withdraws into himself, both hands resting on the top of the cane, as he looks at it with deep interest and study. "Well...I can safely say that I do not believe we caused this. Though I must confess to have given all ample evidence to this and somehow ignored or overlooked it."

Alex turns around towards the rest of the group and starts to pace back and forth in front of them, walking stick tapping manically on the ground, the backdrop of the Awakening back lighting him in a deep scarlet.
"You see, there is a horrible symmetry, a blasphemous coincidence at work here. Normally such a ritual as we performed should've simply empowered Ygga slightly. Given her some lighting themed enhancement. Nothing as significant of the empowering she received. Only a great release of planar energy could've done that, as the World Ash is a thing of all the planes. In a similar fashion the lighting creatures.The strips of chaotic energy running through their essence should make them anathema to the awakened storm, not its ally." He pauses to breath before continuing. "Stupid for not seeing it before. Their deaths, the death of the storm. All sacrifices. All energy poured into the gate? A natural event? A plot by the storm? By some other party? Doesn't matter now. A ritual was done, the gate was opened. And we simply had the misfortune to be standing under it, doing our own ritual which mimicked the grand tableau above."

While he talked Alex had slowly grown more animated, arms jerking around to make points and random interjections. But now he stops and turns to look at the shattering sky. Suddenly he arches his back backwards and lets out a belly deep laugh, cackling as the red paints his face. He turns to the rest of the group with a savage grin on his face, arms outstretched, letting the crimson light dash over him to create an almost biblical look. "But so what!? Is this not the Fourth Awakening? Have we not suffered through three before and come out strong each and every time? This is not a tragedy, this is a grand opportunity! Let any foul, misformed creature come through that gate. Let all the demons of Hell and the mindless gods of the Abyss come cavorting through! Mankind and his allies shall cast them down and feast upon their power. We shall stand as kings in this new ruby glow. No, not kings. Gods." He raises his cane defiantly at the hole in the world. "Come on then, thou newest pack of fools! I defy you to conquer us! Till worlds be mended I shall spit in thy eye and bind thy power to my will!"

Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Zacha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 22, 2019, 02:03:36 pm »

Bojangles had been entirely ready to go ham on a bunch of lightning creatures. What followed was the strangest turn of events he'd ever seen, and the reaction of the others around him to it was equally strange. Ashnah grabbing him and pulling him down was easier given the lack of resistance he gave to it, and he just sort of remained entirely wordless at the fact that the thing he'd been looking forward to fighting abruptly changed into something that... well, couldn't really be fought. How do you wrassle a sky closed again?

Laughter and celebration from Alex and Ashnah at a moment like this seemed sort of profane to him--the world was changing again, when all he really wanted was to enjoy his bayou, eat gator sausage and fried artichokes, and not worry so much about the way things were elsewhere because he had all he needed with a fishing rod, a duck gun and a roof over his head. He'd come to magic school more to make his family happy than because of any particular desire of his own--if he'd had his way, he wouldn't have been here at all. And now the sky was breaking and the world was changing again and who even knew if there would even be a bayou after this--it was a lot to take in, and the mood whiplash of "gonna fight a thing" to "everything is broken" wasn't helping matters at all.

It wasn't until he'd already sort of slowly sunk to his knees--mostly because of Ashnah with a side of "no reason to keep standing"--that he came to the realization that maybe he'd learned some of this magic stuff for a reason. Maybe with the magic he learned, he could at least keep himself and his safe. Hope wasn't completely lost, regardless of how grim the situation looked--but his smile still hadn't come back. "So much fer th' party," he muttered under his breath.

Mistwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 22, 2019, 02:19:12 pm »

"Oh, Joykill." Ashnah harrumphed and let go of Bojangles, gesturing with her entire arm at the laughing and monologuing Alex. "That guy gets it. I love that guy." She explained and clapped her hands togather. "Fortune favors the bold, kids!"
----
INTO YOU DIRECTLY

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #959 on: August 22, 2019, 02:25:02 pm »

"Damn, that didn't kill me." It took a moment for Scarlet to realize that she'd made her sarcastic(?) comment aloud, and instead of addressing it, elected to move on. Of course, moving on largely consisted of trying not to panic over the massive rent in reality that had just formed over their heads. At least it wasn't raining any more, and the portal provided a distraction from her response to when it had been. "So are we planning on some more insane ranting, or actually getting to cover?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68