Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are my Dwarves going to drown?  (Read 1465 times)

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are my Dwarves going to drown?
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:50:09 pm »

Hi All,

I'd appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to help me figure out what's happening in this fort. I'm not as familiar with fluid dynamics as I should be. I suspect I inadvertently dug under a brook, hence the "dangerous terrain," cancelation. Did I  accidentally flood the fort, or just trap my miner?

Any info would be appreciated. :)

DukeLeto2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are my Dwarves going to drown?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:23:59 pm »

Nope, you're good. You did flood that area, but your dwarves had time to get out. I canceled all digging designations, then assigned every dwarf to an above-ground burrow. I'd upload the save, but I don't have the cash to pay for hosting sites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:35:35 pm »

Nope, you're good. You did flood that area, but your dwarves had time to get out. I canceled all digging designations, then assigned every dwarf to an above-ground burrow. I'd upload the save, but I don't have the cash to pay for hosting sites.
Bay12games have their own file hosting site for saves and other stuff.

http://dffd.bay12games.com

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:55:42 pm »

For future reference, would I have avoided flooding by going a little deeper first? I'm not quite clear on what happened, mechanics-wise.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:31:33 pm »

Besides DFFD, there are dozens of free hosting sites, such as Google Drive, Mediafire, and Dropbox, as the 3 main reputable ones.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:38:04 am »

The wiki article on water and mining explains it perfectly.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:04:09 pm »

*theme music intro*

WHATS THAT IS IT A QUESTION ABOUT WATER AND PRESSURE AND THE SAFE USE THEREOF?!?!?! I THINK IT IS DEFINITELY AN EXCUSE TO RE-POST SOME WATER DIAGRAMS YES IT IS.

*diagrams fly from Dunamisdeos' outstretched hands*

It is also easy to add wells to your underground pipe system. Just make sure that the water flows diagonally from the pressurized pipe to the well area. Your dwarves should have no problem escaping the rapidly filling well area, and the water will not rise above the well level.

*theme music outro* yeah I really like to take any excuse to post this talk about this subject.

*vanishes in smoke*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:09:29 pm »

*boggles at the inaccessible diagrams* :)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 07:42:31 pm »

The third image is excellent!
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »

I'll take your word for it. ;)

More to the point, should I not have gotten a "damp stone," warning? I don't see one in the game log, at any rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:04:34 pm »

You can turn those off (with DF-Hack only, I think?), maybe they've been disabled.

Or at least, you can turn off the pause-upon-damp-stone-warning.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 10:21:44 pm »

Oh my god, Ski-Free yeti for the win. Thank you for the educational images.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:07 am »

You do not get "damp stone" warnings when digging staircases up through the aquifer from below (I haven't looked at the save, so I don't know if that's relevant here).

And, zkline, I think you need to be more explicit, since not everyone may browse all sub fora, and so may not know why a "random poster" can't access pictures when the links seem to be working.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 04:14:03 am »

You don't need DFhack to turn damp stone announcements off. 
The Announcements file configures all the behaviours of these kind of things. I like to make any deaths pause the game and centre on the relevant place.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:32:14 am »

Turing damp stone off in announcements.txt only causes the pausing to stop (and announcements to be suppressed, if that's done as well), but it does not cause the mining to continue, i.e. DF unmarks the wet stone for digging regardless, so you end up with dorf just not doing what you thought you had told them to do. A "dig here, dammit! I know what I'm doing" command would be useful when digging below lakes or above the magma sea and you know you won't actually get any breach.
Pages: [1] 2