Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shop-driven acquisition of resources  (Read 772 times)

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
shop-driven acquisition of resources
« on: February 04, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »

Hey, I have an idea for tweaking jobs...

Right now the way fishing is handled, the fisherman can't also be a fish cleaner. This level of added conundrum means you have to have two dwarfs to fish, or micro manage jobs. This ties in with another thread on this forum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169340.0

The fishery professions should enforce fish cleaning before fishing. That way it will pipeline all jobs so that a fisherman can also be a fish cleaner. And most immigrants that are fishers are also fish cleaners.

A similar tweak, enforcing tanning over butchery, and butchery over hunting, then there is a free way to use one dwarf for all three professions.

Doing things automatic yields no gameplay however. I think that the above tweaks would simply make the previous ideas work better together.

The title of this thread suggests making hunting based on the butchers' workshop, for example, and that's more than just a tweak... it's a new feature. So if you don't want your designated hunter to do his job -> you don't make him do his job in the first place.
-I slew Zolak! -It was inevitable.
-Any troubles? -Bandit Zolak is harassing our hamlet!
-Tell me about Zolak. -Zolak is dead.
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: shop-driven acquisition of resources
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:42:33 pm »

Right now the way fishing is handled, the fisherman can't also be a fish cleaner. This level of added conundrum means you have to have two dwarfs to fish, or micro manage jobs. This ties in with another thread on this forum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169340.0

Fisherman can also be a fish cleaner, you just activate both labours.  What I do with fishing actually is periodically switch off the fishing zone and disable zone fishing, this is to free up the labour of the fishermen (they are fanatical) to do other things. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: shop-driven acquisition of resources
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:13:12 am »

Fisherman can also be a fish cleaner, you just activate both labours.  What I do with fishing actually is periodically switch off the fishing zone and disable zone fishing, this is to free up the labour of the fishermen (they are fanatical) to do other things.

I think the point of the suggestion was to reduce having to micromanage stuff like that.