Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your fortress baron is deserting ?  (Read 1869 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Your fortress baron is deserting ?
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:13:45 am »

On my long 17+ years ongoing fortress i decided to make a backup save and retire it so i could check a bit the legends to see what happened around as the ingame civ -> news isn't any good for any kind of detail you want.

After checking, instead of reloading my backup save, i decided to simply unretire the fortress, hoping the nasty bugs wouldn't happen (hostile non-hostile, thousand of merchants and animals coming out of nowhere and crippling performance etc...)
And it unretired just fine, no problem to be seen.

Oh the old annoying noble "required" bug is still there in 44.05 , but i noticed , out of that for some reason i had now a captain of the guards and a hammerer (despite i didn't assigned those position on purpose in my fort), there was something actually missing
before retiring the fort
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
after unretiring the fort

My baron wasn't listed anymore ?
I thought it was yet another unretiring bug i hadn't ran into before, so i checked the "u" list and quickly noticed that this guy wasn't there anymore ?
He's been in my fort for years before i apointed him as baron, so he wasn't a "baron migrant" .

I retired again the fortress and went to check whatever happened to my baron

What ? the guy just deserted us and went to settle somewhere else ?
That's the first time i have something like this happening, but i wonder can it happen at actual gameplay time or is that only possible in "worldgen" update time like when you leave your fort "living/frozen" and play another one or adventure in the same world ?

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your fortress baron is deserting ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:32 am »

Over in the Strange Reclaim Bug thread, I had a duke and a king leave a retired fortress and hang out in an abandoned ruin.  People like to arbitrarily resettle in worldgen mode.

But no, there is currently no mechanic for a citizen to leave your fort while you still control it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:30:33 am »

Too bad it's a worldgen-only feature. It would make sense for some dwarves that value their life more than their overseer to try to escape a fortress that turned in a place of certain death.

sionlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:47 pm »

Over in the Strange Reclaim Bug thread, I had a duke and a king leave a retired fortress and hang out in an abandoned ruin.  People like to arbitrarily resettle in worldgen mode.

But no, there is currently no mechanic for a citizen to leave your fort while you still control it.
Well I had a fort that was a mountainhome with king. When I retired/unretired I found out that the king and the outpost liason had both emigrated to a fortress that 6 years previously had been taken over by the goblin civ that had been at war with the mountainhome civ. So the king just decided to uproot and settle in the heart of the enemy. I think more logic needs to be applied to migration patterns in the activated world.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:06:04 pm »

Too bad it's a worldgen-only feature. It would make sense for some dwarves that value their life more than their overseer to try to escape a fortress that turned in a place of certain death.

Well then, it's time to wall off the edges, place some guard dogs and create Dwarf Korea
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:51:38 pm »

It wouldn't help. Worldgen doesn't respect walls yet.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:41 am »

Well then, it's time to wall off the edges, place some guard dogs and create Dwarf Korea

God Emperor Kim Jong-Orkel has MY vote.  Not that silly things like votes are a thing he needs.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:55:26 am »

I had an interesting one once.  My civ was at war with the elves.  In world activation, the elves killed the king and laid claim to the mountain home.  At that point my expedition leader became king.  For various reason, I had to retire and unretire the fortress.  When I unretired, my expedition leader (now king) was gone.  I checked legends and it happened that 1500 elves showed up at my fortress.  Then the king resettled in the elf-controlled fortress.  Poor guy...