Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At war with my home civ?  (Read 2668 times)

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
At war with my home civ?
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:21 pm »

I am really not sure what to do here.  Around 3 years ago, the caravan and outpost liaison from the mountainhomes stop coming to Crackedtunnel. It's weird, but not unheard of: we're at war with 3 different goblin civs, two other dwarf civs and some elves and kobolds for good measure.  The capital is being invaded every other week.

Then, I'm going through the civ screen, looking at my home civilization, and this shows up:

So, either my home civ is now run by goblins, or I'm in the midst of a civil war?  Anybody else seen this sort of thing?

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: At war with my home civ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:41:27 pm »

Haven't heard of such a thing before, but unless something really weird is going on my bet is your civ got conquered. You're now all that's left of the old Dwarven ways.

Try raiding your capitol, just in case. Or if you want to be less insane about it probably wait for the liaison to arrive and maybe take him in as a refugee if he's not a goblin.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:02:01 pm »

Just to get the obvious out of the way, you're absolutely sure your civ is The Wilful Net and not one of the other dwarf civs? Going to war with another dwarf civ it's fine (since 44.x), being at war with yourself is a bug (if goblins take over, sites become part of the goblin civ).

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 02:02:49 pm »

Just to get the obvious out of the way, you're absolutely sure your civ is The Wilful Net and not one of the other dwarf civs? Going to war with another dwarf civ it's fine (since 44.x), being at war with yourself is a bug (if goblins take over, sites become part of the goblin civ).

Fair question.  I'm positive, and, according to the civ list, The Willful Net still is my civ, and my fortress is a duchy.  At this point, I'm going to give it a couple more years and see if it shakes out.  If no, I guess I put in a Mantis ticket.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 03:00:40 pm »

Fair question.  I'm positive, and, according to the civ list, The Willful Net still is my civ, and my fortress is a duchy.  At this point, I'm going to give it a couple more years and see if it shakes out.  If no, I guess I put in a Mantis ticket.
You could always take a look at Legends, find out what's going on.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 09:47:48 am »

You could always take a look at Legends, find out what's going on.
How do you look up those Legends in Fortress Mode, vanilla client?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:53:28 am »

- Make a copy of your save.
- Retire or abandon the fortress in the copy.
- Start the copy in Legends Mode.
- Browse or export XML and game parameters for import into e.g. Legends Viewer.
- When done, discard the copy.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »

And since it's tiny, you can just copy/paste your whole DF folder if you're not sure which bit is your save.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:15 am »

I got war with my own civilization when I stole some books from the mountain home.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 04:13:01 am »

I got war with my own civilization when I stole some books from the mountain home.
OK, you'll want to report that. That's not meant to happen. Resulting loyalty cascade if they siege you won't be pretty...

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 06:49:43 pm »

Actually, that's an interesting parallel.  I had my civ's Queen Consort die of either old-age or alcohol poisoning about a year before the caravans stopped showing up. All her stuff was forbidden, including a book.  I, of course, claimed it all and made her a lovely slab in my tavern where she croaked.

I'll have to dig into the legends again and look into that death and book and see if that might have triggered something...

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:53 am »

Actually, that's an interesting parallel.  I had my civ's Queen Consort die of either old-age or alcohol poisoning about a year before the caravans stopped showing up. All her stuff was forbidden, including a book.  I, of course, claimed it all and made her a lovely slab in my tavern where she croaked.

Does the slab list the cause of death? They sometimes do. I'm curious what is the message if someone dies of alcohol poisoning.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:50 am »

Usually "suffocation".  Alcohol poisoning typically causes lack of breathing/aspiration on vomit, which causes death by suffocation.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:07:46 am »

Usually "suffocation".  Alcohol poisoning typically causes lack of breathing/aspiration on vomit, which causes death by suffocation.

So this is how they do whitewash it in the tabloids... and obituaries.