Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eventide University OOC  (Read 2421 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Eventide University OOC
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:08:57 pm »

Alright, so a few things right out the gate this time:

Yes, I know, another one of these. Hopefully this will go better than my previous attempt that started all this mess. I've gotten significantly better at keeping my games under control since then, so hopefully that benefits things. A few differences this time:

The school is not a high school. I know, right? shocker. It's a college now. You all have gotten past the awkward first steps of learning that you're whatever you are and getting used to the changes your body is going through, and are ready to move on to the wider world. This means that characters will hopefully tend to be more mature than previous iterations of the game.

Second, we're at least going to start with a -significantly- smaller cast than previously. I'll be accepting between 3 and 5 characters based off of compatibility and narrative opportunity to start things off, though I may allow people to join in later as things get more into the swing of things. You'll note that I did not mention that mechanics would be part of that decision, and that's because of the third change:

I'm completely revamping the previous stat system I used for games before. Because of this, applications will be character only. Essentially, don't worry about making your character viable or mechanically sound, just figure out what sort of character you want to play, and once we know how things are going and what kind of characters we're ending up with, we'll work on the crunch.

In-universe introduction to follow.

Edit: In order to prevent cluttering up other peoples' chats with this terrible idea I made a discord.

Discord Server

Pop in and discuss characters or something, I dunno.

EDIT: Sign-ins are now closed. IC thread should be up later today.

IC Thread
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:46:55 pm by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Eventide University OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:09:29 pm »

The Awakenings
The First Awakening occurred October 31st, 2056.

This event was a turning point for humanity, as an unknown event caused several massive tears to open in points above the earth, apparently connecting our world to several other dimensions. A rash of disappearances occurred, but more pressingly, several thousand people a day began appearing who were not on any known record, all possessing strange, otherworldly abilities. These were the first type of Awakened, Dimensional Beings. As the oldest of the three types of Awakened, these have the most known about them. Often, they have traits ascribed to legendary creatures in human cultures, such as elves, angels, or other such beings. When arriving on earth, all such creatures are somehow changed to appear primarily human, other than one or two 'tells' which remain after their arrival in our world, even if the original creature they resemble has no human features whatsoever. It is also unknown if it is possible to return to the worlds these beings originally came form, as the tears have yet to be safely traversed through either mundane or supernatural means.

The Second Awakening happened approximately thirty years after the first.

This awakening was more natural than the first, and is generally assumed to be caused by the interbreeding of Dimensional Beings and the bulk of humanity. This produced the so-called 'demihumans'. Generally, demihumans are similar to their Dimensional Being parents, however their Tells tend to be less drastic. They also tend to possess less outright power than their parent, though their control tends to be better because of it. Additionally, some humans with no prior record of non-human parentage developed such abilities as well, generally referred to as 'Type-X Demihumans'. These particular demihumans historically have had rather difficult times as children, due to ongoing stigma growing out of several incidents that had risen out of the First Awakening.

The Third Awakening happened approximately ten years after the Second, and is the final Awakening to occur to date.

The Third Awakening took place due to development of what has come to be known as Thaumic Science, the practice of harnessing energy which is emitted by the tears, and has slowly grown to saturate much of the atmosphere. This allowed previously standard humans to learn supernatural abilities through effort and study, and was celebrated as narrowing the gap between standard humans and their nonhuman counterparts. Such people who make use of Thaumic Science are known as Metahumans.

Tensions are still high between humanity and our neighbors, the older generation still remembering the chaos that first came about as part of the First Awakening, and many of those who had been personally affected by the backlash against Dimensional Beings and their Demihuman offspring still bear resentment against the human governments that oversee them. Many jurisdictions have passed laws which limit the number of thaumically-enhanced individuals can be enrolled in public schools, and still more have opened special schools under the auspice of providing a special curriculum for these unique students, but many of them are more focused on keeping them away from human children than anything. Perhaps the future will be brighter, but today is a time of change and uncertainty, and we do not know quite how things will turn out in the end.

Eventide University

Founded in 2057 in response to the First Awakening, Eventide University is the premiere school for the training of demihumans, metahumans, and those of extradimensional nature. Our curriculum caters to the unique needs of those seeking higher education within our halls, seeking to educate all manner of students about the unique quirks of both their and others' gifts. Overall, the class structure of Eventide University consists of three branches.

Personal Development: Classes in the Personal Development block include Esoteric Energy Studies, Metapsyche Enhancement, and Physical Training, all classes designed to improve or hone the unique skills of our student. Eventide University is unique in that it offers these classes not only on a basic level, but at all levels of education and for all types of students, so as to allow them to reach the peak of their personal potential.

General Studies: Classes which focus on developing worldly knowledge, academic excellence, and other such practices fall under the General Studies branch. These classes are well suited to any individual who prizes knowledge, housing such things as the arts, sciences, and specialty courses such as engineering, computer science, and the thaumic sciences.

Awakened Being Countermeasures: Unique among the three types of study which take place at Eventide University, The Awakened Being Countermeasures department works in direct cooperation with the United Nations Awakened Being Task Force to allow our students to directly engage in learning activities outside of a classroom setting, offering opportunities for our students to not only get real-world experience with their unique talents, but also to give back to their communities and their world. These events can take the form of disaster relief, emergency response, or in the case of some of our more gifted students, temporary internships with several different partners which can grant both life experience and contacts for life after college.

Ultimately, our goal at Eventide is to prepare you for what comes next, whatever that may be.

If you would like to apply to become a student at Eventide, please fill out the below form and submit it along with a copy of your official transcript for consideration.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:17:36 pm by ragnarok97071 »
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:09:46 pm »

Characters

Spoiler: Lilly Mycroft (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scarlet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Albert (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dom (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bernie (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alexander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Idunna (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:50:20 pm by ragnarok97071 »

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:14:53 pm »

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:29:29 pm by Sl4cker »
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:21 pm »

This actually looks interesting, let's see here...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:13:05 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:11:08 pm »

>2106

You're really going far out with this game, huh?

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:02:21 am »

>2106

You're really going far out with this game, huh?

I might adjust the year. Idea is to be far enough forward that I can just make up whatever technology I want for cool things. Also because FUTURE.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 05:52:55 am »

ptw

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:09:08 pm »

Would it be possible in this setting for someone to be a construct created by an asshole mage?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:50 am »

Turns out I didn't post here even though I'm interested. Whoops.

Spoiler: Lilly Mycroft (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alternate: Evelyn (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:06:55 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:36:02 am »

Reserved

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »

Hmm... I’m interested.

Just gonna reserve a spot here until I’ve got the time to post an actual character sheet...
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 05:34:31 pm »

Spoiler: Warning: Very scary. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Stats and things (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:26:49 am by kj1225 »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:57 am »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:47:54 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile