Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is raiding a ruin a Really Bad Idea?  (Read 1681 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is raiding a ruin a Really Bad Idea?
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:18:56 am »

My first attempt at sending out an expedition was to raid a ruin of a dark fortress that was occupied by humans at the end of world gen and sacked during the 2 week pre embark frenzy (presumably by the goblin dark fortress in the tile beside it). The distance was described as half a day's walk, but two months on they haven't returned.
What I hoped to achieve was for them to scoop up some of the artifacts rumored to be there, or at least bring back info that they're there/not there, and certainly not go on a quest into the unknown (raid the humans instead? try the goblins (a VERY bad idea)?). A ruin ought to be a rather safe first attempt, as they shouldn't get into a fight there (greenhorns all of them).

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
Re: Is raiding a ruin a Really Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:27 am »

If you sent them after a specific artifact, and it was no longer there, they may have gone to seek rumors. Keep us updated though, this is all still new stuff, and the !!science!! hasn't settled.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 05:24:35 am »

No, I sent them on a general raid. Since there's nobody to raid, I'm getting nervous...

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:25:43 am »

please do more !!science!! for us :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 02:53:37 pm »

Have all of the soldiers you sent actually departed (easiest to check in the military interface)?
For me it happened that one of the soldiers I sent to raid a ~10 goblin fort had decided to do several hauling jobs first, so the rest of the squad had to wait...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 03:56:39 pm »

I think all the soldiers have left, yes (they're all marked as traveling on the military screen).

After 4 months there's still no trace of them. I've tried looking in legends (where my search skill is poor), but there's no entry for the site I sent them to, the militia leader is not marked as dead (and has no recent entries).
I've tried to use DFHack to find the militia leader as an army controller, but have failed to do so (which might be because I haven't searched correctly).

I'm probably going to give up this world anyway, as the goblin fortress that should send sieges at me has been sacked by elves(!). 10000 gobbos gone just like that... No further goblinite deliveries and half the fortress pop just AWOL (and no migrants, as the civ is dead). So much for a simple test of the new mechanics against a very simple target...

My conclusion so far is that yes, it is a Really Bad Idea to try to raid a ruin (although I guess it might be used to get rid of buggers you're too squeamish to kill). Others may continue the investigation...

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »

Sometimes when a megabeast destroys a site it'll decide to settle in the ruins.  Dwarven fortresses can be destroyed and occupied by forgotten beasts as well.  Did you check legends or are you just guessing that it was sacked by goblins?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 11:32:04 pm »

Sometimes when a megabeast destroys a site it'll decide to settle in the ruins.  Dwarven fortresses can be destroyed and occupied by forgotten beasts as well.  Did you check legends or are you just guessing that it was sacked by goblins?

Raid itself is a bad idea. I raided a elven village in a earlier version and after several years still no news from those soldiers

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 02:03:59 am »

I'm curious how food and drink is handled, are raiding units self-sufficient or can that be a problem too?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 03:17:24 am »

Legends info showed no megabeast there, and if the party had been killed there it ought to result in an entry in the legends mode info for the site. I did not care to check who sacked it, though.

Food and drink is abstracted for the time being. Logistics is intended to be implemented eventually. Artifact seekers who did not find the item at the starting site bar hops to find rumors, and the assumption is that they'll eat (abstractly) and drink there, I guess.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 10:45:34 pm »

An easy way to check if your dwarves have died is to open the military screen and see if they are still listed in their squad. They get removed immediately from it even if they die abroad.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.