Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Game Balance  (Read 4141 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Balance
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 11:33:46 am »

Mechanisms shouldn't be able to be made of stone at ALL, in my opinion. They should be made from metal only, and not the softer metals like lead or gold.
Spoiler: And *wood*? (click to show/hide)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 01:29:23 pm »

Windmills are amazing.  So much science went into that, like finding the right species of tree for each part, or the secret of prime numbers (worth a king's ransom in gold at the time) for reducing wear on the teeth to an absolute minimum. 

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 05:08:30 am »

Mechanisms shouldn't be able to be made of stone at ALL, in my opinion. They should be made from metal only, and not the softer metals like lead or gold.
Spoiler: And *wood*? (click to show/hide)
Hmmm, that's true--although we're already limited to wood for all axles. And I do have to say, in all load situations except purely compressive, wood is a good deal stronger than stone, because it's not brittle. Yeah, I know, "anything the humans can do with wood, dwarves can do with stone", but . . . stone drawbridges? Really?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 08:27:24 pm »

I agree with all this completely, but would add one more suggestion to top them all:

For all these balance fixes, make the sensitivity raw configurable.

That way, players have the ability to rebalanced the game themselves to their liking, and allows better feedback for what optimal values would be.

A good idea, and something that's even already been done for grazing (the [GRAZE_COEFFICIENT:100] in d_init.txt), which is another feature that had well known balance problems.
Pages: 1 2 [3]