Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Try to make a minimized airlock dealing with dangerous FBs  (Read 1100 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Try to make a minimized airlock dealing with dangerous FBs
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:12:43 am »

I was thinking is it possible to make the airlock only 2 tiles, with a statue and a pike trap, and of course bridges.

just don't know if it is possible. what if FBs stay in the tile that is not a pike trap?

smaller the room, it will be easier to rebuild the cave-in trap, I think.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Try to make a minimized airlock dealing with dangerous FBs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:06 pm »

FB cannot stand on a statue, statue is impassable.
Won't work cause building destroyer wants to stand 2 tiles away from statue. Furthermore, statues, since impassable, cannot be pathed through, so FB's won't use the corridor unless they get close enough to spot the statue, in which case they will stand on a bridge and destroy it, with you being unable to raise the bridge because there's an FB standing on it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:56:02 pm »

Code: [Select]
# = wall
+ = floor
D = door
B = FB

#########
+++D+B+++
#########

FB stands at B to batter the door. At this point, you can order a lever pull to either raise the bridges on either side of the FB (not shown), or drop a floor tile on the FB's head. You don't need a bridge to hold the FB in place -- the moment the game pauses to tell you there's a cave-in, you can navigate to the FB corpse.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:23:18 pm »

I typically do this (which is not minimal):

Bbd.scccBb

where:
B = "joint" of raising drawbridge.
b = "smashing part of drawbridge (to get a graphical indication of whether the bridge is up or down)
d = bait door. Can be locked when needed. The door is expendable (i.e. it will eventually be destroyed)
. = empty space. Can place a cage trap here.
s = menacing spikes (usually 10 green glass) hooked up to a minecart repeater.
c = Cage trap to capture desirable critters, and keep undesirable ones from getting into the fortress.

Normally the outer (right) drawbridge is raised (as I normally don't access the caverns).
When an FB is spotted the menacing spikes are installed (I do that as they're needed, but once done, that's taken care of).
Once the spikes are installed and hooked up, I raise the inner drawbridge, test that the spike trap actually works, and then open the outer one.
Once the FB enters I order the outer drawbridge to close, so it's contained. If it's too tough for the glass spikes I eventually engineer a cave-in (which will destroy the cage traps, spikes and inner drawbridge).

Minimal setup:

dBsB
This carries the risk of the door being destroyed before you close the inner drawbridge

You don't need a drawbridge to keep the FB in place if your bait is an artifact, but anything that can be destroyed will eventually be destroyed, and dorfs have a tendency to ignore urgent tasks in favor of old bone hauling and harvesting (and if you lock them in with the levers they'll probably be asleep when a lever needs to be pulled).

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:59:05 am »

I typically do this (which is not minimal):

Bbd.scccBb

where:
B = "joint" of raising drawbridge.
b = "smashing part of drawbridge (to get a graphical indication of whether the bridge is up or down)
d = bait door. Can be locked when needed. The door is expendable (i.e. it will eventually be destroyed)
. = empty space. Can place a cage trap here.
s = menacing spikes (usually 10 green glass) hooked up to a minecart repeater.
c = Cage trap to capture desirable critters, and keep undesirable ones from getting into the fortress.

Normally the outer (right) drawbridge is raised (as I normally don't access the caverns).
When an FB is spotted the menacing spikes are installed (I do that as they're needed, but once done, that's taken care of).
Once the spikes are installed and hooked up, I raise the inner drawbridge, test that the spike trap actually works, and then open the outer one.
Once the FB enters I order the outer drawbridge to close, so it's contained. If it's too tough for the glass spikes I eventually engineer a cave-in (which will destroy the cage traps, spikes and inner drawbridge).

Minimal setup:

dBsB
This carries the risk of the door being destroyed before you close the inner drawbridge

You don't need a drawbridge to keep the FB in place if your bait is an artifact, but anything that can be destroyed will eventually be destroyed, and dorfs have a tendency to ignore urgent tasks in favor of old bone hauling and harvesting (and if you lock them in with the levers they'll probably be asleep when a lever needs to be pulled).

I see, so I can always expect FB stand 2 tiles away from the bait door. thank you!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:41:57 am »

Yes. It's actually even worse. If a building destroyer gets next to the building, e.g. due to having moved diagonally, it gets locked into trying to destroy the building without being able to do it, and without the smarts to move out one step to reach the destruction distance. They can sometimes be snapped out of it at the sight of a juicy live target to chase.

I haven't tried if it works, but you might be able to trap building destroyers without harm to the bait:

W.W.W
WWBWW
W.W.W

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 05:45:12 am »

Yes. It's actually even worse. If a building destroyer gets next to the building, e.g. due to having moved diagonally, it gets locked into trying to destroy the building without being able to do it, and without the smarts to move out one step to reach the destruction distance. They can sometimes be snapped out of it at the sight of a juicy live target to chase.

I haven't tried if it works, but you might be able to trap building destroyers without harm to the bait:

W.W.W
WWBWW
W.W.W

Do you mean all building destroyers attack buildings 2 tiles away? I can't confirm it in wiki

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 06:17:57 am »

Do you mean all building destroyers attack buildings 2 tiles away? I can't confirm it in wiki

Yes, this is correct. Put a door someplace accessible to the next goblin invasion and watch how the trolls go about attacking it.  It's pure speculation on my part, but I suspect it has something to do with (most) workshops being 3X3.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:20:30 am by Colonel Sanders Lite »

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »

Yes, this is correct. Put a door someplace accessible to the next goblin invasion and watch how the trolls go about attacking it.  It's pure speculation on my part, but I suspect it has something to do with (most) workshops being 3X3.

Thank u so much! This works perfectly with my save! Only that I forgot to set the two bridges to lock the FB as raise ones lol. I'll rebuild them.

And PS, it's possible to have both plan A & B, just build 3 bridges.

WWWWWWW
BbDBSB.....
WWWWWWW