Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 4184 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution (Interest Check/Sign up)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 05:22:20 pm »

Scientific Name of Species: Colotes Vergrandis
Species Nickname: Smiling Lizard
Description of Species: A small, skinny, salamander-like animal. It is covered in soft, moist scales, brown in shade. It has two black eyes, suspended up on short stalks to allow for 360 degrees of vision, and seems to have a grin on its face. four limbs extend out from its body, ending in short fingers, three per limb. It has a pair of gills along the sides of its head. It has a few tiny teeth in its mouth that it uses to hold on to prey, and it lays eggs to reproduce.
Number of Species: 33
Size of Species: 6x1
Trait: None.
Carnivore/Herbivore:-9 (Eats Insects/Small Fish)

Avanti!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 06:01:24 pm »

Ok, there ended up being several submissions more than I think I could reasonably handle, so I rolled five and picked two from the remainder. In no particular order:
Spoiler: Lucky Players (click to show/hide)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 06:13:23 pm »

Aw, that's a shame.

Everyone who did make it in, have fun.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 07:02:46 pm »

Spoiler: Horror (click to show/hide)
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »

Looks like I didn't make it. Crap.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 10:16:40 pm »

There is a good chance, especially near the beginning, that a species or two will die. In that case, I'll draw from the players who weren't lucky the first time. They would just be flavored as invasive native species.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »

Okay, so there is hope for my shrimp.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:14 pm »

Yes. And I may add new players if I find its not too hard to keep up with too. We shall see.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:11 pm »

Yes. And I may add new players if I find its not too hard to keep up with too. We shall see.

By the way, what is the population cost for web-spinning?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 10:32:12 pm »

1/3 reduction. Pretty much everything was reduce population by 1/3 this time round.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:31 pm »

There is a good chance, especially near the beginning, that a species or two will die. In that case, I'll draw from the players who weren't lucky the first time. They would just be flavored as invasive native species.
In this case i will hope for the  merciless force of extinction to give me a chance than.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 10:45:32 pm »

1/3 reduction. Pretty much everything was reduce population by 1/3 this time round.

22 should still be enough to set up a colony. Remember that the Heavy webs could be used to make fortifications to protect from predators.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 01:07:22 am »

For generations your species has survived, hidden deep within a comet hurtling through space. Your icy spaceship held within its core a micro-ecosystem that endured the long journey through space. In those cold waters several species evolved and survived for an untold amount of time. Yet now, that age has come to an end. Your species has arrived at its destiny, a planet. As your home enters the atmosphere it breaks apart and crashes into an alien ocean, spilling its contents into the strange unknown waters.  Those lucky enough to survive find themselves plunged into a body of water incomprehensibly vaster than the one their species evolved in. Only a handful of the dozens of alien species survived the landing. Now only the strong will thrive in this strange and alien world.

Walking Polyp
Spoiler: Info (click to show/hide)
A large colony of Walking Polyps managed to hold on during these tumultuous times, largely due to their calcium carbonite tunnels. These unique corals do not create exoskeletons, but instead secrete the hardening mixture into the environment to make tunnels. This large colony remains attached to a meteorite chunk. Their polyps waving in an underwater breeze, the water here is rich in algaea and the polyp's manage to net a good deal of food this way. Occasionally a wormlike shrimp will wander a little too close and become stunned by the tentacle's mild sting. While algae in this area is decent, there is little else to eat. A few hexapods have begun infiltrating the tunnels. At first the polyps ate them, but that made them sick. Now they simply ignore the intruders and leave less large food decaying around.

Snapping Trilobite
Behaviors: None
The Snapping Trilobite was one of the largest creatures aboard the comet. Their population had always been small, due to their extreme size. The small enclosed lake simply could not support many of these behemoths. And when the comet crashed into this strange and alien planet, most of this species's population didn't survive the shock. However, two individuals managed to survive. Will this proverbial Adam and Eve pair populate this new world with their offspring? Or will it simply be too much and they fade away shortly after their fellow trilobites? Time will tell. For now they are doing quite well. The Trilobites managed to find a small kelp forest and are using their tentacle arms to pull the kelp into their mouth. Interestingly enough there is a species of grazing sea slug living on the kelp, which the trilobites seem quite happy to consume as well. The trilobites manage to gorge themselves on kelp and slugs and produce an offspring.

Nightmare Shrimp
The nightmare shrimp adjust to their new home better than most. It seems this environment is quite well suited to more insectoid life and herbivores. The lack of sensory organs is a distinct issue, but your shrimp find themselves in a thick pool, rich in green algae and plankton. They gorge themselves on the abundant food in the marshy soup. Yet not all is well among them. Several individuals are lost to predators or unfortunate accidents. Still, there is ample food for the population to grow and prosper. The majority of the diet is composed of plant matter, with a few slugs and polyps as opportunity prey.

Scavenger Hexopod
The hexopods find their new home to be incredibly full of food. These strangely long and wormlike hexopods are one of the few species which has some degree of vision. While little more than photosensitive patches, used to detect biolumanescence in a bygone age, they still greatly assist in orientation and spacial awareness. The hexopods know when they are exposed to light, and seek to avoid that. Furthermore, they dig into the substrate finding it rich in delicious detritus. Occasionally they will find tunnels with especially good meals.These areas seem both safe and full of food and slowly the hexopods begin hanging around these places. However, there is a predator out here, however without true senses its impossible to identify it.

Lesser Sardine
The sardines swim forth into the green thick waters, full of oxygen and food and life. It is a bright and glorious world, completely unlike the one your species was living in. The world is no longer a few beeps of biolumanescent signals, but is a vibrant wash of greens. Prey is thick in the water, and your sardeens gorge their little fish stomachs on the stuff. In even greater concentrations is algae on every surface, and devouring that is incredibly easy. However this new world isn't without dangers. A strange ambush predator devours several of your species, and some are lost to your natural predators. Still, among the thick foliage, these small fish thrive.

Scavenger Scarab
The sea scarabs do fairly well for themselves in their new environment. They find that the substrate here is nutrient rich, but there simply aren't many large carcasses to consume. Most scavenging materials are too small for them. Perhaps moving on to greener pastures will help with that. However, they do alright. There are large leafy kelplike plants in the shallows, and they are nutritious and filling. The scarabs consume a great deal of that, plus some of the inhabitants of those plants. Unfortunately at least two individuals are lost to poison or disease.

Smiling Lizard
Of all the creatures to survive the crash, the smiling lizards have the least luck. There is a distinct lack of food to devour and those that could began to contemplate living. Algae is not very edible by your species. However only two were lost to a large white predator. Besides that, their first era here was quite uneventful. Many ate and mated, making new population .T he population increases in by a fair amount, but it could takes some. Perhaps specializing or generalizing your species would help.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:45:51 pm by Roboson »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 10:45:31 am »

Colotes Vergreandis evolves its behavior to be able to ambush. It first burrows under the loose sand with its fingers, covering itself, & hiding. Its eyestalks emerge just a small but above the water, and are able to see prey. Using this strategy, they conserve energy by staying still, and when prey is found- the lizard pushes itself through the sand to begin feasting. It can also use this stategy to hide, in some cases.

Avanti!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 11:05:29 am »

PTW
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5