Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Awesome, WTF, and Funny DF Moments?  (Read 3042 times)

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Awesome, WTF, and Funny DF Moments?
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:22:11 pm »

Anyone have any any funny/awesome/WTF moments they want to share? I'll start.

• So I just had a minotaur at my fort. He spawned next to a river where 2-3 fisherdwarves were fishing. The first fisherdwarf with no combat skills of any description broke the neck of the minotaur with one attack. He did suffer a broken knee, so he went to the hospital, got a crutch/splint/whatever, and then went back to catching mollusks, without even seeing the bone doctor. I like to imagine that my dwarf went "Pfff, puny cow interrupting me fishing...."
  • A bronze colossus showed up at my fort. He died to a dwarf with a steel spear. He attempted to attack my militia with a bronze statue, that he got from god knows where. My fort doesn't have any bronze statues (well, I guess we now have one...)Where did he get that? Why was he just carrying it around? It's literally just a statue of a random Kobold.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome, WTF, and Funny DF Moments?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:56:43 pm »

From the wiki, "Upon its death by means other than melting, a bronze colossus becomes a masterwork bronze statue (worth 1500☼), a great decoration for a grand entrance hall. "
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:20 pm »

From the wiki, "Upon its death by means other than melting, a bronze colossus becomes a masterwork bronze statue (worth 1500☼), a great decoration for a grand entrance hall. "
This makes so much sense. Wait, can I kill a steel colossus and get a steel statue?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:07:29 pm »

A novice marksdwarf just one shot'd a giant with a bone bolt to the head. I was completely surprised.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:26:03 pm »

This makes so much sense. Wait, can I kill a steel colossus and get a steel statue?
Well, if you can kill it.... heheh.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 01:50:03 am »

Wait, there are steel coloss... What's the plural of colossus? Colossi?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:46:10 pm »

Colossus are only made of bronze, unless you mod the raws. There are FBs that can be made of steel, and you better have some candy spears/pikes ready on some legendary warriors if you see one coming. Unless it's a blob made of steel, at that point you just pull the lever and seal the cave.

A Steel Colossus would probably be immune to most forms of damage, except dragonfire, magma and of course, the most evil weapon of all... Cage traps.

My wtf moment. In one of my forts i once managed to capture an enormous one eyed steel cobra (Iirc) by having my GCSs shoot webs at him while on a cage trap. FBs are usually [TRAPIMMUNE] but webbing them removes that immunity.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:58:33 pm by Nefarian »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 03:17:07 am »

This makes so much sense. [...]
Until you realize it's not likely a statue of a colossus.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:31:06 am »

Well... that word is sort of a mess.

English has loaned it from latin, which loaned it from greek in turn.  The greek pluralization would be colossoi, the latin colossi, and anglicized colossuses.  Strictly speaking, the greek would be more correct but seems rare.  Using the latin plural because we loaned it from latin, while ignoring that latin loaned it from greek seems like an arbitrary hypercorrection, even if it is common.

Honestly, just pick your poison there.  No matter which one you pick, you're bound to piss someone off.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 05:32:02 pm »

My empire's goblin King arrived, accompanied by an equally goblin outpost liaison.  This may or may not have been what caused one of my Axedwarves to go berserk and start chopping everyone in sight.  The outpost liaison sprang into action, biting the berserk man's throat and killing him.  Our glorious green King received a warm welcome after that!

On a side note, the King wept with horror while passing by our corpse stockpile.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:11:59 am »

I recruited a hunter into the marksdwarf squad seconds before a siege showed up.
I station the marksdwarves across the bridge.
Hunter decides not to hightail it there, but instead plant himself and fire at the troll that just appeared and charged him.
Good shot, planted a bronze bolt right into its gut.
Troll immediately pulls the bolt out and repeatedly stabs the hunter in the face with it.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:47:52 pm »

That's delightfully trollish behavior.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:20:40 pm »

I recruited a hunter into the marksdwarf squad seconds before a siege showed up.
I station the marksdwarves across the bridge.
Hunter decides not to hightail it there, but instead plant himself and fire at the troll that just appeared and charged him.
Good shot, planted a bronze bolt right into its gut.
Troll immediately pulls the bolt out and repeatedly stabs the hunter in the face with it.
This is why we all love DF
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:23 am »

Well... that word is sort of a mess.

English has loaned it from latin, which loaned it from greek in turn.  The greek pluralization would be colossoi, the latin colossi, and anglicized colossuses.  Strictly speaking, the greek would be more correct but seems rare.  Using the latin plural because we loaned it from latin, while ignoring that latin loaned it from greek seems like an arbitrary hypercorrection, even if it is common.

Honestly, just pick your poison there.  No matter which one you pick, you're bound to piss someone off.
same in german, but (until generation snowflake showed up) one used the latin terms for both singular and plural forms.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:33 am »

Colossus are only made of bronze, unless you mod the raws. There are FBs that can be made of steel, and you better have some candy spears/pikes ready on some legendary warriors if you see one coming. Unless it's a blob made of steel, at that point you just pull the lever and seal the cave.
Is it wrong that I'm disappointed that there are not steel colossi by default? I've seen them on player streams and I always thought they were part of the base game. So my army has no challenges left in the world besides hell, angels, and Zombie whales/orcas/etc.? How disappointing.
Pages: [1] 2