Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: noble titles  (Read 2046 times)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
noble titles
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:45:46 am »

Do dwarven noble titles ever go extinct?

In the past, I always quit the game when one of my dwarves inherited noble title to another fortress, because putting up with multiple barons/counts/dukes is a pain.  Then I started wondering if the titles to conquered fortresses keep bouncing from dwarf to dwarf, if there are potential heirs, even if the fortress might be overrun with goblins or whatever.  If you kill off these "foreign" nobles in unfortunate accidents, do their heirs inherit their titles gain, forcing THEM to be killed off, or do these titles go away if these guys are killed off?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: noble titles
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:38:22 am »

I don't know.

However, I believe a lot of people fear mandating nobles more than they should. I would never quit over extra nobles. Bring on those mandates.

I just ignore most mandates. Dwarves don't die from some prison time. In fact, those dwarves that get to bring them food and water will actually be able to fulfill those hard to get needs of 'being able to help someone', plus the imprisoned dwarf gets a happy thought when released (some even get positive thoughts for being in prison; 'Urist felt repentant while being in prison').

If you have a hammerer appointed, justice can be deadly. Fix that by either prepping a dwarf that likes hammers for an aluminum artefact warhammer mood, or if you have candy, make a candy warhammer. Do make sure that at no point you have any other warhammer just laying around in your fort, because your hammerer will just grab the nearest available hammer to deliver hammerstrikes. Warhammers assigned to, and worn by military dwarves are safe, a hammerer won't touch those.
Ofcourse this whole alinea can be skipped if you never assign a hammerer in the first place.

If you have too little jail cells, and perhaps as standard too once you get a king, dwarves can also be sentenced to 'beating'. Prevent danger by having enough jail cells, by making sure every dwarf is wearing full armor, and by making sure that your sherrif and later, captain of the guard squad, are not too strong. Not sure if beatings use assigned weapons, to be safe make sure they don't have weapons either. Or give them candy warhammers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:44:40 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:18:58 am »

or if you have candy, make a candy warhammer.

Only in DF...

I love Nobles, bring much needed storylines and narrows the focus to specific characters for huge forts. As for OP question I don't know. Also put in one tile food storage one drink and one meat in the prison next to the chains and you are not even dependent on people feeding your prisoners. Also strip mining and producing endless crafts usually takes care of all mandates. As for export mandates breaking them are not that severe in punishment.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:47:57 am »

To be precise, punishment for ignoring export bans is dealt to the specific dwarves that carried the contraband goods to the depot.
This allows for quite precise manipulation of which dwarves you would like to see punished (by toggling trade good hauling).
Careful though, punishment is cumulative. Urist who carried two banned items to the depot will be punished more severe than Urist who carried only 1 item.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:50:07 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:40 am »

Well, I had a rather extreme incident a while ago when I wound up with 4 barons (all "foreign") who wound up jailing almost half of my dwarves for export violations of different sorts.  Granted, that's not quite that common, but that did convince me that nobles can be too much of a bother.  :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:27 am »

There is one mean little thing about export ban violations:
Normally, when there's an export ban, the items will not show up in the trade depot list unless you press the cull mandates button.
And even if the export ban comes after they are hauled to the depot, but before you traded them, they show up in purple in your trade list, warning you.

BUT. If the export ban is instated after you have already traded them to the caravans, but before they leave the map, there will be punishments after they do leave the map.
So yeah it can be a bit of a hassle. You do need to be very aware of which goods can be export banned, and export them with care if at all.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:41:48 am »

What I find annoying is that export bans often come into effect just as caravans are about to leave.  I have to rush my traders back to the depot to buy back now-banned items, or risk having multiple dwarves get imprisoned (and worse, get strange moods while imprisoned) which is not always possible in time. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:41:01 pm »

Don't set up dwarven injustice system. It's just not worth it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:23:44 pm »

Seriously. I made this mistake recently.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:37 am »

Is it even possible to avoid it?  You need to have a captain of the guard some time somehow to set up the militia, or so I thought.  Without jails, the captain beats accused criminals to death left and right.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:55 am »

You don't need a captain early on. I guess the captain becomes required around the time you get a mayor.

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:36 am »

how to prevent? don't appoint any  Captain of the guard? what will happen to those criminals if so?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 03:20:09 pm »

how to prevent? don't appoint any  Captain of the guard? what will happen to those criminals if so?

Don't appoint a Captain of the Guard or a Hammerer. You're mayor/baron/etc will get unhappy thoughts periodically from not having justice served. Give them a posh room or have them have an accident seriously, though. DF player ethics is weird, especially when it comes to nobles.

Is it even possible to avoid it?
Yes, yes you can.

You need to have a captain of the guard some time somehow to set up the militia, or so I thought.
Nope! Just make a militia squad. First one will become militia commander. The Captain of the Guard works more like a sheriff, and his squad act like deputies.

Without jails, the captain beats accused criminals to death left and right.
Yes. Building a jail before getting the nobles is the best idea. If you have a Hammerer, getting them a candy hammer (or buy a wood hammer from the elves) reduces the damage done.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »

if you go for a wood hammer, buy featherwood.

I still completely disagree with people saying dwarven justice system should be avoided. Really, it's no trouble at all as long as you don't make stray silver warhammers and have enough jails (1 per 10 citizens). Production mandates are so slow, you can afford to have one or two dwarves in prison each month. Export bans can be completely avoided, if you so wish, or manipulated and used, if you are like me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:07:25 pm by martinuzz »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 04:58:33 pm »

Export bans are rarely disruptive anyway. If Vucar McNoble doesn't want catapult parts sold abroad it isn't that hard to indulge him, and even if they do forbid something inconvenient like a particular type of craft you can just produce the others separately now. The days of slade bed demands are long gone as well, and similarly it isn't too hard to just make Vucar his cabinets.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: [1] 2