Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digital Calamity (Android)  (Read 1369 times)

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurked for a very long time
    • View Profile
Digital Calamity (Android)
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:36 pm »

I'm currently making a game that's broadly similar to Urban Dead/ilk, for Android. The setting is cyberpunk styled, but it doesn't come across very well due to the programmer art :P

The standard 'level and improve your character' stuff is present, but the big difference is that the game is built around allowing players to form 'factions' that seek to take control of (and thus win) the game's worlds.

The gist of how this is supposed to work is:
+ Players create factions (aka corporations, gangs, or however you want to style it)
+ Factions grow (factions can be combined in several different ways, or even just completely destroy each other)
+ A faction wins after it controls > 50% of territory by itself
+ Everyone has had a fun murder fest; repeat

I've reached the stage where the intended 'beta' features are present, and I'm about to start working on adding content (and, after I sort out an artist, art). This means that it's at a good point for a few more people take a look at (and help refine) the game - so if the concept interests you please give it a go/come chat with me on the development discord :). Uh, notably the current regions are using settings that make testing easy, so balance is non-existent.

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.tthsk.digitalcalamity (or search Digital Calamity, possibly) - it should ask if you'd like to join the alpha test
Development Discord: http://discord.gg/2WUVnGS

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Calamity (Android)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:32:24 pm »

Well, it works. I'll give it a quick play and poke around for bugs etc, later on today.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:56:14 pm »

I really don't know what I'm meant to be doing. I hit the terminal and my character does the typing animation, but nothing happens.

My character screen doesn't scale on my phone, so I'm not sure if some things are off-screen or not at the bottom.

Fighting appears to work. Or I killed something by clicking on them repeatedly.

That's about as far as I got. It works, but yeah. I'm not sure if the terminals work on the first map (test 3x3), or at least they didn't seem to do anything in either the start square or the one below it with just one enemy. I've got a feeling that them working is important.
It's a game. Have fun.

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:21:48 pm »

I really don't know what I'm meant to be doing. I hit the terminal and my character does the typing animation, but nothing happens.

My character screen doesn't scale on my phone, so I'm not sure if some things are off-screen or not at the bottom.

Fighting appears to work. Or I killed something by clicking on them repeatedly.

That's about as far as I got. It works, but yeah. I'm not sure if the terminals work on the first map (test 3x3), or at least they didn't seem to do anything in either the start square or the one below it with just one enemy. I've got a feeling that them working is important.

Thanks for taking a look; sorry it's still quite confusing. Does the tutorial (hidden by the ? in the top right) help explain things? I've realised just now that I should probably have it pop up the first time someone sees the game map >_>

I'll also change the character screen so it scrolls, thanks for noticing that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:10:31 am »

Well, I loved Urban Dead, Shartak etc. back in the day and I use an Android phone, so I should give this a go at some point.
Looks interesting!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:37 pm »

Urban Dead was pretty neat for a while, I'll give this a try tonight
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:30:12 pm »

The game is nearing a beta release so here are some new screenshots (featuring non-programmer art):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still very interested in any feedback, so if the what-is explanation in the first post intrigues I'd love it if you gave the game a go :)