Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tavern but no visitors?  (Read 4339 times)

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern but no visitors?
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:23:37 pm »

Hey I am playing a fort with 9 dwarves (pop cap 9) and visitor cap 20 but I still didn't have any visitors after one year.

This is my world population

46 Dwarves
   2 Humans
   112 Elves
   6981 Goblins

My own civ has a goblin queen and a pop of

203 goblins
   25 dwarves

So I was hoping for many Goblin visitors (migrants are always dwarves, seems to be a bug because they are made of "air", even after the 2. wave), so I reloaded the world and didn't change the pop civ after it was 9.

Now my question, does the pop civ blocks visitors or what I am doing wrong?

I have a tavern and a temple both set on "Welcome all" and one tavern keeper and one performer.

And another question... can a exp-leader accept residence-contracts like a mayor? Or do I need a mayor to accept long-time and even full resident citizens?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:26:20 pm by Marianne »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern but no visitors?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 03:30:56 pm »

-,edited...

Pop cap shouldn't effect visitor numbers. But you have a pretty tiny world, presumably with not much history so probably not many visitors around. Just to check, are those really the population figures? Not just the number of historical figures? A low history usually results in a pretty boring world with not many visitor types around.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:35:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 04:34:53 pm »

In the beginning of the 0.43.X arc I used pocket worlds and received a total of 1 visitor over half a dozen fortresses or so. As far as I understand you need healthy numbers of civilized citizens for any of them to be available for visiting other sites. One might also guess that most goblins are members of goblin civs, and those won't visit, I think (definitely not the neighbor one, if you've got one).

There is a separate visitor cap which does not interact with the pop caps when it comes to visits (I don't know how they work with petitions).

Void dwarves are fairly common when your civ is struggling, and I don't think that's a bug.

The expedition leader takes care of all leader business. That's later split between the mayor and the highest ranking noble. That is, an expedition leader handles petitions in the absence of a mayor. The mayor (expedition leader) handles labor issues, which basically includes being yelled at by unhappy citizens and petitions, while the noble (expedition leader) handles diplomatic issues such as the trade liaison and the holier than thou elven insulters (won't show up before you have the noble, I think).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:00:48 pm »

On lowest settings, you get off with Goblin civ, Dwarven civ and Human/Elf civ. 3 civilizations in total on lowest settings smallest world. I know I play it. It doesn't help much with fps though. In 0.44.05, if you use "c"-ivilization interface and scroll over settlements you can see their population. Except your own settlement, for some reason known only to Toady.

On my embark I have goblin tower +200 population, my own fortress 110 pop, mountain home 0 civilized population and Human town +100 population. In locations you can set your restrictions for visitors. On my embark it took like one month, not even whole season, for a Human singer to show up, when I put in my first location in, which was tavern. However, I did build pretty extensive fortress by then like almost 20k quartz blocks and i had already quite few adamantine artifacts, worth like 1m each to back it up. I slapped "citizens only", as soon as I saw the visitor. After few years singer was still idling in my fort. Visiting guards of Human diplomat were constantly giving him beatings. Probably because he was nude. There was lots of blood each time and teeth. He wasn't leaving or applying for anything. Just idling in my general meeting area for ever. I just got tired and atom smashed him in my mass pit. I just see no point with visitors. Plus underground they get cave adaptation and above ground Dwarves refuse to clean. So it is just too huge harassment to keep visitors and try to keep fortress clean. DF is just bad with cleaning filth. Rain and bath do spawn entire new blood pools annoyingly, which is illogical. But this is not on topic now.

Make sure your fortress is worth few Dwarf bucks.
Make sure except your civilization and Goblin one, there is at least Elven or Human with some civilized population.
Wait a month.

However I have no idea, if there is some minimum population required for visitors too. I didn't see anything about that in init files.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:36:23 pm »

On lowest settings, you get off with Goblin civ, Dwarven civ and Human/Elf civ. 3 civilizations in total on lowest settings smallest world. I know I play it. It doesn't help much with fps though. In 0.44.05, if you use "c"-ivilization interface and scroll over settlements you can see their population. Except your own settlement, for some reason known only to Toady.

On my embark I have goblin tower +200 population, my own fortress 110 pop, mountain home 0 civilized population and Human town +100 population. In locations you can set your restrictions for visitors. On my embark it took like one month, not even whole season, for a Human singer to show up, when I put in my first location in, which was tavern. However, I did build pretty extensive fortress by then like almost 20k quartz blocks and i had already quite few adamantine artifacts, worth like 1m each to back it up. I slapped "citizens only", as soon as I saw the visitor. After few years singer was still idling in my fort. Visiting guards of Human diplomat were constantly giving him beatings. Probably because he was nude. There was lots of blood each time and teeth. He wasn't leaving or applying for anything. Just idling in my general meeting area for ever. I just got tired and atom smashed him in my mass pit. I just see no point with visitors. Plus underground they get cave adaptation and above ground Dwarves refuse to clean. So it is just too huge harassment to keep visitors and try to keep fortress clean. DF is just bad with cleaning filth. Rain and bath do spawn entire new blood pools annoyingly, which is illogical. But this is not on topic now.

Make sure your fortress is worth few Dwarf bucks.
Make sure except your civilization and Goblin one, there is at least Elven or Human with some civilized population.
Wait a month.

However I have no idea, if there is some minimum population required for visitors too. I didn't see anything about that in init files.

Toady is fixing the "lingering visitors" in .06 so you won't have them doing nothing for years, instead leaving the fort properly after some time.

DFhack's "clean all mud snow items" command is a godsend for removing thousands of spatters off the map (and improving FPS sometimes).
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:17:58 am »

So as I understand this right my "map" with its 130 years has the problem of beeing too small of having historical figures in numbers giving me a chance to receive any visitors?

Is there a huge fps drop between pocket and small world 1x1 embarks? If not I will create a small world and try to get visitors, then I have to live with a gobo baron, it would be nice to have a full gobo fortress (including the king) but if there is no chance to get any gobo visitors with my current embark, so it be. :/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:32:39 pm »

World size and history seems to have almost no effect at all on fps. Save times increase a fair amount though. Fps death is caused by in-fortress issues for the most part.

Just for reference, just genned up a vanilla medium-region world, which is the size I usually play on these days. World civilized population is 112,107. That's 23,301 dwarves and 37,658 humans.

You can see how the chance of visitors increases dramatically, right? With your population of 342 (plus whatever gobs live with the humans) you're just not going to have the same number of people opting for a travelling profession.

World I'm playing in at the moment (285 years) is population 460,319...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:51:34 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:21:36 am »

You can see how the chance of visitors increases dramatically, right? With your population of 342 (plus whatever gobs live with the humans) you're just not going to have the same number of people opting for a travelling profession. World I'm playing in at the moment (285 years) is population 460,319...

I wish someone told this to those 100 Humans in the lone hamlet of their own civilization half day travel away in my 3x3 embark in this fresh pocket minimalist world at year 8th-10th year of its entire existence, so they didn't bother my 110 Dwarves settlement's tavern and in turn my mass pit's atom smasher with their Human artists. :P

Still, fancy how every year I can mange to sell their caravan few thousand same type items. Are they reselling this merchandise to 200 Goblins population in the Dark Tower? It could explain, why they are at peace with Goblins. Even better with my mountain home's Dwarven caravan. Though mountain-home misses entirely any civilized population and still at war with Goblins. To whom they sell their merchandise eh? There no other  settlements then just those 3 of mine, Human hamlet and Goblin Dark Tower. :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:29:56 pm »

Also remember, humans might not have artists at all if they don't value art (or might spawn tons of them). Each human civ has different values.