Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dragon Crossing  (Read 1639 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon Crossing
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:40:46 pm »

The legends say that the world of man was once one of the grandest in the realm. Spreading from the Desert of Wonders in the west to the Primdwayne east. Yet when the reign of the Last King brought about the endless darkness, the kingdoms of humanity shrunk into a few final bastions. Many of the original tribes of man we're lost, and for longer than any could know, darkness reigned. Only with the death of the Last King did light return to the lands... In the generations since the death of the Last King, the magitocracy became the established governing body. Humanity has taken their first steps out of their strongholds and found a world completely unimaginable...

This is the world you were born into, untamed, unknown and full of unimaginable wonders. Magic, monsters, and most importantly, dragons, lay beyond the high walls of humanity. Your parents and grandparents have told you of the world they lived in, one of endless inundating darkness, of a terrible gloom with drowned out the sun and smothered the world. Yet you know nothing of this world firsthand, to your generation the world is bright, and full of endless discoveries and wild magical lands.

Or at least, that's how it appeared. Through one misstep or another, you wound up in debt to the Consortium, a large and wealthy alliance of craftsmen, with underlying criminal elements. Some of you owe your debts directly to the Consortium, others have had their debt bought by the organization's shady underbelly. The world seems so much less bright and exciting with the mob on your back. You find yourself aboard the Sky Wanderer, a rickety old air ship produced by Quill enterprises during the Age of Darkness. You and the fellow crew members of this ship collectively owe the Consortium one million coin. With no other options, and perhaps with a bit of real excitement, you turn to the one job that can possibly free you of this burden: Dragon Ranching.

You and your crewmates will depart tomorrow morning, and that leaves you little time to prepare for your journey and vote upon a destination. Whats more, you must choose what dragons you will start this journey with, buy supplies, and all sorts of last minute preparations for your new life. You each have a bit of personal spending money, the last coin you have left to your name, as well as a dragon voucher courtesy of the Consortium. Furthermore, you have a budget with which to purchase supplies for general use by all crewmembers.

Inventories:
Spoiler: Jeremy Leiden (Glass) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zalam (Darkwarlock3) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sean Silver (Spin) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Sky Wanderer (click to show/hide)

With your money in hand, you head over to the local Consortium Guildhall to purchase supplies, information, and redeem your dragon vouchers. Their most common items are listed with prices, but there are a wide variety of products available, simply ask one of the employees. There's an adjoined tavern where you see several grisly gentlemen drinking green ale, judging from their scars and armor, they may be willing to sell you some information on dragons, locations, and technique.

Spoiler: Guild Hall Supplies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tavern Goers (click to show/hide)

You make your way over to the stables around back and find that they are particularly poorly stocked. They only have a few species of dragons, and apparently the guy who normally works this department quit a month ago and they've yet to find a suitable replacement. No one seems to know much about these dragons, or really seems to give you the time of day. You'll just have to go off of what you can see.

Spoiler: Forest Green Dragon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pale Yellow Dragon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Khaki Dragon (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Crossing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:51:33 pm »

Is there armor and weapons available? While I don't plan on killing any dragons, it's always good to have something to defend yourself with, and besides, not all potentially dangerous enemies are dragons.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:08:17 pm »

Deyou goes to one of the two lady dragon hunters and asks them questions without revealing that he is indeed a dragon rancher.

"You are well-known hunters around these parts, and I as a studier of the mythical and assistant to helping others deal with dragon hunting and other dragon affairs, can I ask you some questions for you? There questions for general dragon information around these parts, and I am willing to spent some gold on information of dragons around the lands.

Deyou waits for a bit and than sees if the huntresses are willing to sell information and if so...

"I have questions and maybe ways to take down for specific dragons, mainly asking for information about if there are any plant-based or nature-associated dragons, and maybe you have information about the elusive eggplant dragon? If you have no information about those nature-oriented winged lizards, than maybe you have information for shadowy, black, death-associated wyverns? Primary on the shadowy aspect of them. I ask information about their nesting grounds, hunting grounds, and their primary form of attack and whether... they like to kill and hunt other humans or even other dragons. In exchange for this information, I shall appropriate some gold."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 07:20:59 pm »

A rather shabby looking employee brings out some equipment. It all looks fairly well made, but it's a bit on the expensive side. You spot a clearance bin off to the side too. Most of it is meant for dealing with people and small monsters, but you spy a few things that may serve your purposes.

Spoiler: Equipment For Sale (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clearance Bin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:29:47 pm by Roboson »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:36:43 pm »

I Buy a small net, a wood axe, a 20c Knife, and an animal trap. (Total Spent:60)
For dragons I grab a Khaki dragon while I can.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:43:37 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:39:48 pm »

Jeremy buys a buckler for 50c, a hunter's knife for 20c, and the other animal trap for 30c.

I'm thinking we should use half of the trip budget for medium nets (one for each of us). Any other ideas?

Also, Jeremy likes the pale yellow dragon and would like to have it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:07:57 pm by Glass »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:44:52 pm »

Sean snatches up a forest green dragon and buys 5 units of vegetables and a large net for his personal use, before turning to the others and suggesting "I think we should make a point of getting the full plate armour and fishing pole."

He then asks the wizard about if he has any magical wisdom to share, like if there is any ritual involving dragons that could, say, cause one to ascend to godhood?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:48 pm »

One of the women, the shorter one in red armor made of some sort of slain monster, waves you off and goes to drink. The other, a taller bulkier woman in mixed plate with a huge mace agrees to talk to Deyou.

You don't look like a hunter to me, and you don't look like a book mage neither. Her eyes narrow as she looks you up and down, then shrugs and waves over a bar maiden. Fuck it, you're paying for drinks, I'll give you some tips. Xanxerwild has a good mix of dragons, it's a mix of forests and river deltas.
At some parts in the southern regions, it's more of a jungle than forest. 'Specially if you venture out towards the islands. I don't know jack bout no eggplant drag, but if you're lookin' for freak dinos, those islands are the place. No map of them though. As far as death drag goes, yeah, seen a few out in the Steppes. Evil fuckers though, nastiest breath attack I've seen. Rots the flesh right off ya. If i we're yous, wouldn't look for one of those until I've slain a few dragons. Alright greenfoot, gimme 25c. And hey, don't get eaten out there.
You hand the huntress 25c.

Sean, little green dragon in a cage on a cart with him, asks the wizard about ascending god hood. The wizard looks at you, then at your dragon, then at his suspiciously green ail, then back at you. No. I'm a botonist. He then makes a face that clearly reads, 'I can't tell if you're real or not, either way, go away.'

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:31:10 pm »

buy a short sword, buckler and get female Khaki dragon
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:49:04 pm by darkwarlock3 »
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 09:34:05 pm »

Sean nods to the botanist. "Beg pardon. Do you happen to have some sort of business card? In case I need to consult someone about plants in the future."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 09:49:30 pm »

Sean nods to the botanist. "Beg pardon. Do you happen to have some sort of business card? In case I need to consult someone about plants in the future."
Well that depends on a lot of factors. The mage, who apperantly studies plants examines you closely. You look like a chap who ventures into dank and dreadful places. I could use an errand boy. If you bring me back some specimines of exotic plants, I would pay you handsomely. The mage hands you a small handwritten note with his information. Interested?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 09:54:32 pm »

"I'm absolutely interested. I would prefer to be called something slightly more dignified, though. Perhaps a procurer."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 10:02:47 pm »

"The five net plan sounds fine whether it's all large or we exchange one for a small and large, and I do recommend we give someone that plate mail so they can act as a frontliner and be the distraction while we are capturing dragons or taking their eggs. Than 45 can be spent on the map of the wilds that I have information is a good place of dragons, and has variety as well. The rest of your money that should be spent on rations for the dragons in our pockets.

Buy a short sword, and than 2 of all the rations except the crackers. 64 spent, remaining 11. Than go and procure a Forest Green Dragon in its cage.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 10:06:24 pm »

Sean already took the green on.

Takes the pale yellow dragon.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:22 pm »

The magus, who you now know as Dr. Bartholomew Cinabal, Head of Research of the Saint Ludwig Mages Association, rolls his eyes hard enough to cause a minor earthquake. Errand boy will do just fine until the quality of your work leads me to conclude otherwise. Now, for your assignment. I am particularly interested in the anti-coagulating properties of a particular species of orchid which grows in sheltered crags in The Frozen Sierra. I am willing to pay one thousand coin for a live and healthy specimen. Of course, if you decide to venture towards warmer weather, I could make a list of less valuable specimens I could use samples from.
Pages: [1] 2 3