Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves are fighting a strand of hair.  (Read 2053 times)

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves are fighting a strand of hair.
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:29:40 pm »

I was bored, so i tried to raid a necromancer tower expecting it to start a war with them. Unfortunately, my dwarves are just so skilled and they did not get caught stealing bunch of books. Seeing a silver lining, I built a library so my dwarves can read the stolen books. As expected, some dwarves acquired the ability to raise the dead. And one dwarf by the name of Udib Etesshorast the armorer necromancer raised a dead piece of a forgotten beast's head hair near my depot. As soon as the hair moved, everyone around started throwing punches and swinging hammers to the piece of hair; everyone who did so passed right through the hair or 'bent' it's neck and twist it's head. As the hair got into a fight it pushed the dwarves fruitlessly, hurting them like how a piece of hair would.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are fighting a strand of hair.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:38:54 pm »

Are you playing the latest version? That was supposed to have been fixed in 44.01.

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 11:45:03 pm »

Are you playing the latest version? That was supposed to have been fixed in 44.01.
Yes I am. 44.05

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 12:04:13 am »

Do you have a save? Could do with being reported as the fix didn't seem to work.
Although the exact phrase was "Made animated skulls, hair and other bits easier to pulp" so it's possible swords and axes don't work as well (ever tried to kill a hair with a broadsword?).

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 12:21:34 am »

Also worth uploading the save for all those "bends the neck" messages. Should a head hair even have a neck?

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:16:38 am »

Forgot to mention. This save is created from the version 44.01

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:18 am »

Also worth uploading the save for all those "bends the neck" messages. Should a head hair even have a neck?

Hair follows the same rules as bones when it comes to animation.  You're not fighting a hair, you're fighting the hollow outline of a creature composed of the hair they once had.  A hairy ghost, if you will.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:13 am »

hair golem seems easier to envision.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:13:01 am »

Do these hairy golems have even any body parts? To me they always look like a single-part entity. I don't know how they are killed, apart from "pulping". Normally separating a head from upper body, or destroying upper body, would kill anything, but these hair don't have such things, I think.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 12:52:08 pm »

Do these hairy golems have even any body parts? To me they always look like a single-part entity. I don't know how they are killed, apart from "pulping". Normally separating a head from upper body, or destroying upper body, would kill anything, but these hair don't have such things, I think.
Yes, they do have a full set of body parts which can fly off in an arc just as easily as with the whole creature. Decapitation "kills" the hair but even then the head hair can be re-reanimated. Then the head hair will have all the detachable features like nose and ears intact, like an ordinary head would.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:22 pm »

When you butcher things in reanimating biomes you frequently get reanimated skins and hairs. Once you kill those (which may yield multiple skin/hair parts that may get stuck inside your butchery/tannery/farmer's workshop), the head ones can reanimate again (e.g. sheep head hair). The primary ones were no big problem, as they were fairly easy to kill, but the head ones were unkillable with weapons (or close enough not to make much of a difference) until the recent fix. If that correction didn't work, the issue still remains.