Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Workflow df hack pluginn  (Read 1920 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workflow df hack pluginn
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:59 am »

Well if i can use both: the DF jobmanager or workflow DFHack then i can compare their functionality and ease of use.
I don't know if the DF jobmanager was a answer (further improvement) for the  workflow  DFHack pluginn?

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:04 am »

No, it's just inferior as initially believed when compared to Workflow.

Q:  Is there a way to make up to a certain number of something?
A:  It does not appear so.

Q:  Is it possible to change the number created by the work order after the work order is set up?  I.e., can I change my amounts as my fortress grows?
A:  No.

These were the bread & butter of Workflow. Just means more work for us I guess. *sighs*
It might have bugs right now, but the option to stop when a maximum amount is reached is part of the basic setup (or at least, not start any new orders if you're at the limit).

Slightly bugged is quite a bit less "inferior" than 'doesn't work at all', which is why you started this thread, isn't it?

I did not start the thread. I'm merely highlighting that there is a big difference between a "design flaw" & "bug". In addition, I would like to add that I've used Work Orders alongside Workflow in the past, because Work Orders have Never been as useful for threshold ordering. They have other uses (i.e. place orders quickly via the managerial screen, or certain orders that work best without thresholds)

Just for example, the first thing you type when creating Anything with a Work Order, is how many you'd like produced after a check is made.
So, what you're saying is, you want 100 barrels in stock. In this scenario, I have to input 100 initially as I presently have zero. It's checked daily. Oh, day 2 I have 99 barrels? Let's make another 100, says the manager. Either 199 barrels or spam of alerts cancelling jobs because I didn't provide the materials for it. (Though, utilizing this flaw, one can work the system in tandem with the below point, it's just more complex & a hassle in comparison to Workflow's beautiful design.)
Okay, let's go with initially ordering 5 then. Day 1, made 5. Day 2, made another 5. It's going to take a couple of weeks just to even reach 100 now, huh..? Okay, now we're at 100. We're at 99 barrels? Make 5. Ever day, my workers maintain that level. But they don't need to, as we only need to re-stock to 100 when their quantity is particularly low i.e. below 10. But they're forced to waste their time maintaining a strict level of 100 every single day, from the start of the order until I cancel it. It's just not efficient. Rimworld sorted this out spot on, lav it.

Again, just musing about the current work orders vs workflow. Since we can't have such complexity, I just do yearly orders in big sums with a guesstimate of the amounts. I can get on by just fine. It's the difference between having the spam enter for every single non-materwork item when trading (default - KeyPresses: possibly hundreds) & pressing shift before pressing the down arrow to cumulatively designate items at a high speed for trading (dfhack - KeyPresses: possibly 10). One is a hassle (default), whereas the other is a blessing to Quality of Life (dfhack).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:56:47 am by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 07:53:24 pm »

But they don't need to, as we only need to re-stock to 100 when their quantity is particularly low i.e. below 10. But they're forced to waste their time maintaining a strict level of 100 every single day, from the start of the order until I cancel it. It's just not efficient.
How is it not efficient? What's the trade-off between doing them all at once, versus doing a few every day?

I guess it may depend on how many workshops you have, and if you've got other jobs queued to prevent your carpenters from going on break.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 10:58:00 am »

But they don't need to, as we only need to re-stock to 100 when their quantity is particularly low i.e. below 10. But they're forced to waste their time maintaining a strict level of 100 every single day, from the start of the order until I cancel it. It's just not efficient.
How is it not efficient? What's the trade-off between doing them all at once, versus doing a few every day?

I guess it may depend on how many workshops you have, and if you've got other jobs queued to prevent your carpenters from going on break.

If done on a daily basis due to the the stock constantly fluctuating around the threshold, it adds a lot of commute time as they go to other jobs, then back, then another, then back, etc.
If done on a threshold basis, there's a couple days dedicated to raising the stock, and the rest free. During the quota-filling period, there are (beyond biological reasons) no distracting factors, allowing for optimum efficiency.

More noticeable with smaller colonies where Dwarrows have to multi-task (Brewer takes up as hauling & a cooking).
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.
Pages: 1 [2]