Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Your most complicated artifact?  (Read 9359 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most complicated artifact?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »

All that on an earring?

Those must be some really tiny pictures (or a really large earring.)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

Not so hard. It could be a long earring, with each successive image displayed below the others.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2006, 02:51:00 am »

Nestithdadsat, "The Largeness of Mountains", a iron pick.
On the item is an image of dwarves in rope reed. The dwarves are burning.
On the item is an image of dwarves in rope reed. The dwarves are melting.
On the item is an image of dwarves in obsidian. The dwarves are in a fetal position.

That's a pretty damn morbid/pyrotechnic pick.

Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DuncanFrost:
<STRONG>Nestithdadsat, "The Largeness of Mountains", a iron pick.
On the item is an image of dwarves in rope reed. The dwarves are burning.
On the item is an image of dwarves in rope reed. The dwarves are melting.
On the item is an image of dwarves in obsidian. The dwarves are in a fetal position.

That's a pretty damn morbid/pyrotechnic pick.</STRONG>

Geez; was his friend the miner that struck a lava flood, or have you had alot of fire-breathing dragons around?

And how can a Dwarf melt, anyways?

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2006, 10:42:00 am »

Messily. The only thing that ever remains are their beards, which represent the dwarf's immortal soul with their invulnerability.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »

I figure it's something like that scene in Raiders where they open the ark.

Flamester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2006, 12:10:00 am »

I wish I had a item like this.
code:

googlerus brean eda, "gresant, the everlasting onyx ",a onyx ring..

this is a onyx ring. all craftssdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is decorated with bands of onyx.
On the item is a onyx ring, on the onyx ring is a onyx ring on a onyx ring on a...

Well you get the idea    ;)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2006, 05:24:00 am »

Dwarf cancels Decorate Item: Planck length reached.

Azeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2006, 11:00:00 pm »

I'm extremely surprised I even managed to pull this off. First, a little backstory.

Yesterday, my carpenter created an artifact table from a single log and catapulted immediately to legendary carpentry. Which is fantastic, even if he's now lugging around a table of godly destruction. A few minutes ago, my metalsmith became possessed. I practically begged him not to take over a forge, because I had no metal bars and no charcoal. Wouldn't you know it, he runs right to the forge. He runs to collect a couple pieces of ore, then he grabs my cut ruby (the only cut gem I have)...and stops. Fearing the worst, I check what he wants. 2x ore, stone (I see he likes Schist, which is plenty available), cut gem, and...cloth. Cloth could be a problem. I have tons of silk, though! Desperately, I command several craftsdwarves to start weaving again and toss the silk onto the loom (I disable weaving on everyone because, otherwise, they just spam that they can't find any more webs to collect). A few minutes later, it's silk cloth and...the metalsmith isn't budging. This is when my heart sinks down all the way to my bowels, because I know I'm screwed. All I'd been farming was plump helmets, this being the start of my second year. I look over at my kitchen and...one pig tail, from when I was gathering plants earlier. Okay, progress. I don't have a farmer's workshop, though, so I command my miners to dig out another 3x3 section. My good miner has had a broken leg for over a year (the other good miner was slaughtered recently in the same attack, when four snakemen jumped them), so I've got a pair of newbies running around and they take forever. This does nothing to increase my spirits. With one square of the 3x3 area left and over half the way dug...the miner goes on break. HE GOES ON BREAK. I practically screamed. I yelled for someone to go destroy my clothing shop, because it was the most expendable at the time, but the miner went off break before someone tore it down. Cancelled that, prayed a little and the 3x3 area was done. Now to build a farmer's workshop there! ...except nobody has farming (workshop) enabled. Time to quickly go enable that on a few people. They finally get it built and I yell for them to process the pig tail. Now, you have to understand, nobody has any experience at all with this, so it takes the second longest minutes of my Dwarf Fortress career. It's finally done, though, and I scream for someone to hurry up and loom the new thread, because I know the season's changed and the metalsmith is a ticking time bomb that'll go off any second. Nobody's very experienced with weaving, either, and a peasant jumps on the loom. This is where the first longest minutes of my Dwarf Fortress career come in, in case you were keeping track. With seconds to spare, I'm sure, the cloth is finally done , the metalsmith runs to grab it and the schist, and begins construction.

Crisis averted. Barely. Oh so barely.

What's possibly even more interesting is the longwinded, completely ridiculous artifact that came from it:

Sedilabir Eshomdumatallas Ritas, "Angelromance the Silent Rough Sea of Owls," a silver floodgate. Yes, a silver 400 weight floodgate.

This is a silver floodgate. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of silver, pig tail and marble. On the item is an image of dwarves in silver. The dwarves are laboring. On the item is an image of a dwarf and mangrove trees in rose quartz. The dwarf is surrounded by the mangrove trees.

400 weight, he's going to be carrying it for years, and I haven't the slightest clue how much it's worth because I don't have any way to check yet. I'll go do it manually in a minute and edit this post.

Edit: Looks like it's 42,000, plus 120 * (Marble * 10). I'll look to see if I can find a marble artifact in this thread and reverse-engineer it to find the value. Barring that, I'll search the forum for one and, failing even that, I'll wait until I can check its value in-game and add to the wiki. Oh, and he didn't gain any skill from it. Meh.

[ December 04, 2006: Message edited by: Azeral ]

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2006, 02:29:00 am »

Marble is white stone: x2 value.

Azeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2006, 03:30:00 am »

Ah, right, I forgot about that in the passion of my rant, thanks.

My craftsdwarf just made my new cheapest artifact, too. Used three logs to build an artifact cedar earring encircled with bands of cedar with spikes of cedar, sporting a cedar image of a lizardman (menacing) and a dwarf (plaintive). Not that you can tell, since it probably just looks like a solid block of cedar. Worth a whole 4,800. Again no skill increase, either. At least this one didn't make me a nervous wreck.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2006, 05:40:00 am »

I have one of those blank idol artifacts, with a single decoration of spikes of turtle shell.

value?  2400 units.

Name?  I'll get back to you on that:

ùshrirshedim Zèlergòstangmirstal, Quakeshadows the Prime Awe-inspiring Velvet,

and it leaves off there.  For a one-item artifact, my dwarf thinks big.

What does this thing mean?

Azeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2006, 07:08:00 am »

That's definitely the end of the name, looking at the 'velvety' artifact already in this thread shows that to be the word 'mirstal'. It's an impressively cheap artifact, especially for its name, I must say. Did it at least net you a legendary skill?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2006, 09:24:00 am »

I guess the rest of the name just says, "a idol"

But yes, he got a skill for it.

Incidently, I decided to look at one of my cooks.  He just finished making

"This is a stack of 7 Muck root buiscuits.  The ingredients are minced Bloated tuber and minced Muck root."

No wonder they go for a nice plump helmet ;-)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »

That's just mashed potatoes with chives.  Could use a little tallow, though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12