Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple dining halls + 1 tavern; Result: Goblet insanity  (Read 1155 times)

Aditia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Multiple dining halls + 1 tavern; Result: Goblet insanity
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:46:17 am »

Couldn't find this discussed anywhere, but because my fortress lay-out is a bit spread out, I made some extra dining halls, each with a prepared food, a drink and a goblet stockpile.

The result is that I now see dwarves hauling goblets from one end of the fort to the other to drink in a specific area, and then store the goblet far away. If the bin where they want to store is in use, the turn around and go to the other end of the fort.

I can think of some fixes to this in game, was just wondering if this is a known issue.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple dining halls + 1 tavern; Result: Goblet insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:49:06 pm »

In my fort I don't even make stockpiles for goblets because they just always end up in a pile with the drinks. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:29 pm »

In a general sense, it is known and there are different ways players handle it. Your solution will be the result of what you think is important within your fort. I consider these things when developing a system...
- dwarfs will seek out drinks they prefer, ignoring other drinks
- dwarfs may also seek out goblets they prefer or more valuable goblets
- goblets are highly used items and storage in stockpiles causes long distance hauling tasks
- I like crafting high-value goblets of different materials for the dwarfs to enjoy

With those things in mind, I keep one centralized booze stockpile that gives booze barrels to 2-tile booze stockpiles elsewhere, and have one binned goblet stockpile near the trade depot that only accepts non-masterwork goblets. The result is that masterwork goblets end up discarded on the booze stockpiles and non-masterwork goblets end up binned and ready for trade, and trade removes them from the fort. Over time, goblets and booze selections settle according to dwarf preferences and activity within the fort (this is probably a hopeful delusion on my part). At some time, I will follow a dwarf who likes a particular material and see if he seeks out goblets of that material.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 06:24:10 pm »

Tavern goblets go in a chest in the tavern. Isn't that working?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:35:45 pm »

I never make goblet stockpiles, they create completely useless jobs.
Apart from that, I only make 1 mug per 10 dwarves, and store a maximum of 2 goblets in a tavern. I never see alcohol poisonings, and my few mugs that aren't designated to a tavern just travel from barrel to barrel, whenever a dwarf goes for a drink.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479