Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Life in Space  (Read 10193 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Life in Space
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:22 am »

Wait

Spoiler: Unit data (click to show/hide)
You wait. It doesn't become any more interesting than the last bit of waiting.

Think. Become aware of myself and my surroundings. Examine myself and my enviroment. What do I feel? How do I feel?
Feel? (3) you feel the floor beneath your paws. You feel like a slime riding a corpse. That is, the nerves are not active, so you have to actively engage them in order to sense your surroundings. You see when you are trying to see, you hear when you are trying to hear, you feel external contact when you are trying to feel.

Your surroundings are a tightly packed arboretum. a mist is falling on the various plantforms. Some of the plants are clearly dying, and there are insects crawling over a dead thing not far away. A space rat or some other vermin, from the size of it.

Step out of the queue and move past the meatbags. Approach the mysterious object.
Okay, now you are standing beside the large gumdrop, and the people stuck under it. By now, actually, someone has managed to get the attendants loose from the big blob, and the attendants are trying unsuccessfully to push the blob through to a wider location. Can't get muc hgrip on the thing, really, and pushing tends to dent the creature rather than move it's bulk.

"Seems like the thing's in nutritional distress. Set course for the nutrient station!"

Get some sugar water to dispense at this creature to see if it'll feel any better as a result. Maybe commandeer a sugary drinks machine utilizing my security privileges.

Spoiler: Crew Sheet (click to show/hide)
Line jumping eh? (4) well, you explain your situation to the clerk, who seems half amused, half frustrated by the blob situation. When you point out that the thing is malnourished or whatever, the clerk lights up a bit and makes a couple calls. Before long, a couple orderlies come along with a bucket, some sponges, and a hose. They shove the hose into the gumdrop up near the top - possibly into an orifice, but maybe just up under a fold in the skin - and some whitish liquid oozes out around the edges of the fold. The orderlies begin scrubbing the gumdrop with their sponges. It seems to be helping, and the gumdrop starts to kinda shlorp forward and to the side, leaving a two foot wide gap in the doorway.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 09:19:44 am »

Enter the now blobdropless doorway.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 10:22:32 am »

Ooze: Try to repair any damaged tissue and nerves. Attemp to make a more "permanent" connection with the brain and become one with this host, transfering conscience from the slime to the brain of the corpse and fully reanimating it.
Body: Wake up?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 06:18:44 pm »

Wait

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 01:25:33 pm »

"Right, order's being restored. Thlayla, activate loudspeaker!"

Get the line moving in an orderly fashion!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 07:10:15 pm »

Enter the now blobdropless doorway.
alright, you approach a rather harried looking sapient with a datapad. She asks you the standard questions regarding species, dietary requirements, immunizations, citizenship status, and the like.

Ooze: Try to repair any damaged tissue and nerves. Attemp to make a more "permanent" connection with the brain and become one with this host, transfering conscience from the slime to the brain of the corpse and fully reanimating it.
Body: Wake up?

okay, you begin the arduous process of integrating. You'll need more energy and nutrients to continue, of course. Reanimating once living tissue and neural networks is a complicated process, even for a slime. For now, I'll semi-automate the integration process, but you'll need to remind me of it from time to time, because I am a lazy GM.

as for the body, you experience a brief flicker of anxiety.

Wait

(5) you have arrived at your destination.

"Right, order's being restored. Thlayla, activate loudspeaker!"

Get the line moving in an orderly fashion!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5c2f5d72-612a-4b34-8cc6-32dc984d3f3d the line begins moving, at least. looks like some being jumped queue in the confusion and is currently answering questions at the kiosk. The attendant doesn't seem to mind, and no one is raising a stink about it, but it does set a precedent.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:32 pm »

"Hello. Are you able to receive electronic communications? I find those more comfortable."

Communicate with the attendant via audio as such. If possible proceed with communications over encrypted radio or wired connection. (I'm not keeping any secrets at the moment but secure comms is a good habit.) I am applying for a licence to perform medical duties here, which should have some demand on a refugee ship.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 05:28:00 am »

Tell the sapient what she wants to hear.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 07:28:56 am »

Spoiler: Reminder (click to show/hide)
Attemp basic movement with limbs. How many do I have? Try to become aware of what parts of the corpse are damaged and continue transforming into a slime zombie.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2018, 07:59:16 am »

Brook no further line-jumping while maneuvering the ship into line - wait patiently to receive requisite resupply.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2018, 04:29:25 pm »

((Sorry for long absence.))

Fill the form:
where did the refugee ship pick you up? - From a damaged military vessel that was in nieghboring space sector.
From where are yo ucoming? - RX-A162
what is your citizenship status? - Soldier
what is your current destination? - An iron rich planet in neighboring space sector
how long do you intend to remain at your current destination? - Until rest of the crew is found and a vessel is assembled.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2018, 02:52:30 am »

"Hello. Are you able to receive electronic communications? I find those more comfortable."

Communicate with the attendant via audio as such. If possible proceed with communications over encrypted radio or wired connection. (I'm not keeping any secrets at the moment but secure comms is a good habit.) I am applying for a licence to perform medical duties here, which should have some demand on a refugee ship.

I don't see medical listed in your skillset. In your inventory, yes, in your  skill set. no. Medical license is denied. You do get to communicate via wireless transfer though, at least with the attendants who have those devices. For others, it'll be a case by case basis.

Tell the sapient what she wants to hear.
The attendant directs you down a hallway toward one of the storage rooms turned pantry, with an actual piece of paper as a nutrient chit. You are instructed to hand over the 'chit' and receive your meal. Along with the meal, you will receive a second meal chit for the following meal cycle. it will be printed on different colored paper, to distinguish it from today's meal chit.

Attemp basic movement with limbs. How many do I have? Try to become aware of what parts of the corpse are damaged and continue transforming into a slime zombie.
There are three limbs, including the prehensile tail. The othe rtwo limbs end in three manipulator digits each. they are simple manipulators, capable of grasping, turning, twisting, etc. They aren't exactly suited for fine manipulation though (threading a needle, typing quickly,twirling batons ...

Brook no further line-jumping while maneuvering the ship into line - wait patiently to receive requisite resupply.
Upon arrival at the front of the line you are presented with a paper chit for nutrient resupply. Yo are directed to the locations of several wall dispensers in the habitation areas opf the ship. additionally, you are directed to the officers' kiosk, in case you want to apply as an official crewman. Being a refuge ship, they are naturally shorthanded - shortstaffed - they don't have nearly enough tiny floating blimps to help keep the peace.

((Sorry for long absence.))

Fill the form:
where did the refugee ship pick you up? - From a damaged military vessel that was in nieghboring space sector.
From where are yo ucoming? - RX-A162
what is your citizenship status? - Soldier
what is your current destination? - An iron rich planet in neighboring space sector
how long do you intend to remain at your current destination? - Until rest of the crew is found and a vessel is assembled.

No worries about the absence. It's not like "milling about in a refuge cargohold waiting for paperwork and food" requires a lot of attention.

the attendant files your information, informs you that the closest to an iron rich planet on their route is Station H-977, affectionately called "Cracked Bartholemew" for some reason. that is, the station is located closest to an iron rich world - not that the station is iron rich itself.

Since you are listed as a soldier, the crew person directs you to the security wing, to fill out another form and answer some rather important questions (AKA "are you planning to instigate hostilities or blow up the ship or something rash and dangerous like that?")

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2018, 04:59:48 am »

While I get my nutrients I shall discreetely eavesdrop on the conversations of other people here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 05:22:24 am »

"Ah, right. Don't technically have our lawman license yet. Liffin, compose our list of references, we're gonna blow these yokels away for sure."

Apply for that security job! Also make sure to mention that we've got a fairly modular sort of vessel that could accept, say, a railgun attachment or maybe a nanotech razor swarm for peacekeeping use.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2018, 06:08:55 am »

Attemp activation and stimulation of the various sense organs in the corpse. Can I see? Hear?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6