Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Life in Space  (Read 10204 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life in Space
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:43 am »

Spoiler: Ooze (click to show/hide)

This is a WIP, will write the character once you tell me if it's good. I didn't knew where to put the rest of the information so I added a section at the end where I link to the other posts.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 12:59:58 am »

Name of race: Masorkian Arti-tellegencies (MasART)
Planetary origin: Ringworld, generally rocky and temperate environment with minimal geological activity.
Gravity range. 0 to 1.8g due to mechanical nature. Potentially much higher if specifically hardened.
Breathe: None required, though heat dissipation is a problem in vacuum. Water may or may not be hazardous depending on the rating on your core shell.
Consume: Electrical charge. Most are powered by a rechargeable battery that can be plugged in during hibernation hours, but some opt for chemical fuel or even solar power, especially explorers.
Temperature range: -75 to 90. Heat dissipation is an important issue.
Sensory abilities: Varies wildly depending on individual tastes and means, but generally some form of visual, audio, and radio.
Limbs: Seven tendril-like mechanical limbs mounted radially around a circular disk, containing the core and power systems. Generally four of the limbs are dedicated to locomotion, while the remaining three are specialized for various means of interaction with the world. Usually at least one of these limbs doubles as a sensor package. This is just the standard model; the core itself can be adapted to any mechanical body, up to and including warships.
Communication: Radio or wire for direct communication with fellows or other mechanical species. Auditory language only for communication with those unable or unwilling to receive data directly.
Genders: "Female" only, for the benefit of species with only gendered pronouns. Reproduction is artificial, but usually directly handled by one or more "parents", who act as mentors and guides.
History: The Masorkian ringworld was created long, long ago, by a now-extinct space faring species. When those precursors left, the life remaining on the ringworld continued evolving, eventually resulting in a sapient species of flyspiderlike squidmonkey. These creatures quickly built a world-spanning civilization, and then promptly nuked themselves into extinction. Only a few years before the end however, they created truly sentient and sapient artificial minds, who just barely survived the hellfire and began a different sort of evolution on their own.
Technological level: Interstellar

Name: Casia-#c4cfdd / AIMU04-LS:oh28107
Race: MasART
Skills: Datascrubbing, Alien issue management, Information security, Biological unit direct incapacitation

Model details:
Standard disk and seven limbs format.
Three locomotion limbs with surface-gripping feet for navigation defying gravity. In addition one limb is equipped with "spider thread" extruder.
One standard manipulation arm. In addition equipped with multi-wavelength optical sensor.
One standard datalink manipulation arm.
One Military-grade stunner arm.
One specialized Biological unit maintenance and repair arm.
In addition several tools for repairing biological and mechanical units are attached to the outside of the central hub.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:04:33 am by Egan_BW »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 03:53:29 pm »

I've been sick the last couple days. My apologies if y posts are a bit spotty for a few more days.

So, I have four race applicants:

an iron eating cave dweller
a corpse loving slime
a miniature spaceship and its crew
robots

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 03:54:31 pm »

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »

So I'm down to three applicants. you guys want to play, or shall I go ahead and write this game off?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 04:18:13 pm »

I'm still waiting for you approval on the ooze sheet before I make a character. I wanted to make sure that everything I put was allowed.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 05:05:12 pm »

So I'm down to three applicants. you guys want to play, or shall I go ahead and write this game off?

I dunno, whichever you prefer I guess?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 05:27:00 pm »

Well, I do want to play as a slime zombie. Or just a slime waiting for someone to die.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 05:58:59 pm »

Still in.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 06:13:31 pm »

Of course I want to play, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 06:46:53 pm »

Alright. hmm, let's get started then.

Random, your race is approved, though I reserve the right to nerf/modify certain points if necessary. Same for everyone else.

Let me see:
Random, corpses that a slime infests do not achieve true life. They act essentially as an organic vessel for theslime. however, neurological (or whatever passes for such) pathways that remain in the corpse can be triggered. Thus, the corpse will retain a significant amount of that race's traits and characteristics. As for gravity, the slime will not thrive very far outside it's own gravity range even in a host - not without significant alterations to the slime's make-up, essentially causing that slime to be bound to that race.

Harry, Your ship's internal artificial gravity can interfere with and be interfered with by other artificial gravity sources. The main settings of the game tend to operate on either centripetal/centrifugal gravity, or natural gravity (a.k.a lots and lots of mass) so, this shouldn't be a major problem in daily life. However, I think I will require a rather regular "charging up" of your ship's supplies, to avoid essentially a unidirectional interaction with the world (that is, I don't want it that you affect the outside world, but the outside world has no effect on yourself).

Dark One, I have nothing to add to your race, really. It's pretty standard in terms of abilities and structure and the like.

Egan, Robotic creatures require regular maintenance and debugging, as well as communication with some form of central organizing entity to avoid data decay which would lead to madness.

Do you guys see any potential game breaking issues that I missed?

If you are good with your races, and the suggestions I have made concerning them, I will go ahead and start you guys out. Random, just place your character in the setting below when you've 'fleshed it out.' heh heh.

The Unnamed Freighter
It's everything you would expect from an interstellar refugee ship. Large, dirty, repurposed from some forgotten model, malfunctioning and incompatible systems, slow, and above all, crowded. There are actual hull leaks in this tub, like something out of an ancient horror holoflick, or the early attempts of some of the less functional species as tehy try to achieve reliable space flight.

The ship is durable, though. you expect it could sail through stellar nebulae, and across the Void between galaxies before dying of entropy, long after you have gone beyond this mortal plane. Or long after you've simply up and ceased to function. Philosophers from a thousand civilizations have yet to resolve what actually happens after death. Interstellar wars have been fought over the answers various beings cling to so fanatically.

There are lines for everything here. Lines for food. Lines for waste disposal. Lines for bunk time. Lines for documentation and record keeping. And every line is longer than the last.
You find yourself in one of these lines (your choice), in one of the several large, wide spaces the architecture of this particular ship offers.

Further up the line, you spot the familiar grey uniform of the Spiritual Guild: a recognized religious, philosophical, and psychological order. The Spiritual Guild accepts entities from a wide variety of philosophical and theological backgrounds, so long as they adhere to certain strictures, and are demonstrably competent in their given field. The four you spot bear the insignias of "Crisis Counseling," "Occupational Guidance," "Ceremonial Activities," and "Scholarly Metaphysical Discussion."

There is some kind of obstruction in one of your lines, as something further up is causign some confusion and delay, while in another line, an unpleasant cacaphony has been going on since before you entered the line with no sign of abating in the least.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »

Name: "Juub" / Nameless.
Race: Ooze / Unknown sapient corpse as of yet unidentified.
status within the race: Inside an infested corpse about to be reanimated. / Abandoned body forgotten and lost.
skills: Fast learning. Nothing yet. / Brain too damaged to remember.

Adquire full control of the corpse and complete the reanimation.
Wake up. Examine "my" body and try to identify what "I" am.

(Is this good?)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »

Long lines. Inefficient allocation of resources. Likely to make the more impatient saps unpredictable and disruptive. Whoever is in charge here is either incompetent, or powerless. Oh well, it is not my problem.

Waiting patiently for a licence to practice maintenance on biological aliens, or "medicine" as it is called here. I control my own clock and was not programmed or trained to experience boredom, so waiting will only become a problem if I need to wait so long that I require maintenance in the meantime. I do carry a few tools to tune up my body, and have a wireless connection to this place's network, so that shouldn't be a problem on the time scales we're talking about. A more likely problem is that a less rational sap decides to attack me, in which case I'll speed up my clock, route power to my military stunner arm, and incapacitate it.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 06:10:11 am »

Peer from the line to see what the hold-up is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 10:11:44 am »

Captain Zolla wiggled in her captain's receptacle as the visual feed resolved around her. Docking procedures made her uneasy. All of these large bodies crowding together.

"Karhall, get me an active scan of the premises. The whales must be at it again."

Have my girl at the sensors, Karhall, perform a deeper scan from where we are to get a better idea of what's happening up ahead and if we need to shoot anyone. We might be here to replenish our organic precursors but security detail is a job as sleepless as it is thankless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6