Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monarchs right at the start  (Read 536 times)

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monarchs right at the start
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:17:08 am »

Random dwarves in dwarf fortress mode can become monarchs if the current monarch dies or if the position was vacant (common in dying civilizations). If the position no longer exists (i.e. the civilization is truly extinct) then no monarch will be appointed until the civilization is "resurrected" (by retiring a fortress, for example).
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Monarch

So I created some worlds with the following settings:
https://imgur.com/a/wOuQ6

And in most cases all dwarves are dead - and that's the way I want it (I want a monarch at the start and the only fortress remaining against the Gobo hords). But now I have the problem that no dwarf claims king- or queenship.

Any idea on this? The wiki says "i.e. the civilization is truly extinct", how to see if a civ is dying or dead. I remember older versions where I always got a monarch in the beginning when now dwarf was left from world generation.

Would be nice when some of you can tell me what to do in this case.

A nice Sunday to you all!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monarchs right at the start
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:56:29 am »

There is one certain way to tell if a civ is dead, and that is to embark and check the civ screen's civs. If the civ is merely struggling you'll find your own civ listed, quite possibly with the message that there are nobody upholding any important positions. If the civ is truly dead the screen is blank, i.e. no civs listed until another civ is encountered (caravan, siege or kobold theft attempt) at which time you'll get your own plus the one encountered.

If you've got more than one dwarven civ to select pre embark they're most likely not dead, as DF culls dead civs unless all civs are dead.

If your civ is "merely struggling" you get a monarch at the two year mark at the latest (usually earlier). You'll also get a dwarven caravan and a third migration wave, both of which shows the civ is not dead.

Legends mode can give you some indication if the status, although it can only show you the civ is in a bad shape. No dorfs left will cause void dorfs to arrive in the migrant waves (2 waves for dead civs, unlimited for "struggling" ones).

There is no way to get a monarch immediately, although struggling civs can get them soon after embark (with a higher chance if the position is not filled at embark), but I don't know what/if triggers a self appointment of a monarch. Conflict might trigger it, but I've also had cases where killing DF and replaying from the last save resulted in the self appointment while the one killed didn't, despite playing it basically the same way.