Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136582 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »

Note however that for DF physics, movement in the SE-NW and SW-NE directions is the same as in the N-W or W-E directions.

No. This is true of dwarf and other creature movement, but not for fluids
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »

Note however that for DF physics, movement in the SE-NW and SW-NE directions is the same as in the N-W or W-E directions.

Dwarves can move diagonally too. :U

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2009, 01:03:14 am »

...That's what I said. Dwarfs and other creatures.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2009, 01:05:00 am »

...That's what I said. Dwarfs and other creatures.
I am famous for misconstruing writen phrases.
Anyways, I just make a generic 3x3, with the basic needs of a dwarf, a bucket stockpile, and a well.
The very middle square, and one the squares not diagonal to it is clean of any furnishing, appliance, or buckets.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:07:38 am by Foa »

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2009, 04:29:48 am »

This is perfectly true for water except when water pressure is concerned.

In the presented situation, it is planned to route an underground river onto the roof of the building. This has absolutely nothing to do with pressure rules you linked to.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2009, 04:35:14 am »

This is perfectly true for water except when water pressure is concerned.

In the presented situation, it is planned to route an underground river onto the roof of the building. This has absolutely nothing to do with pressure rules you linked to.
Okay, okay, I'll lay it on the line.

Water flows in all 10 directions ( up, down, N, S, W, E, NE, NW, SE, SW ) .
BUT, AND ONLY BUT Water PRESSURE ( and gas ) only flows in 6 directions ( up, down, N, S, W, E ) , so if you want to depressurize water, make it flow diagonally, in the xy plane.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2009, 07:30:05 am »

Okay, okay, I'll lay it on the line.

BUT, AND ONLY BUT Water PRESSURE ( and gas ) only flows in 6 directions ( up, down, N, S, W, E ) , so if you want to depressurize water, make it flow diagonally, in the xy plane.

HMmm...

Been playing Castle Wolfenstein, have we?

No.

Keep'em coming!

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »

It doesn't flow up, but it does use pressure to go up like you said.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2009, 06:02:28 pm »

A modified design of the hexagonal.
Slightly more space (5 squares), allowing each dwarf for 1 bed, 1 chest, 1 coffer + 2 accessories (chair + table or "carpet").
Code: [Select]
  #     #    ###    #     #                                                     
  ### ### ##  #  ## ### ###                                                     
   #+ +#   ## # ##   #+ +#                                                     
 #   X   # #+ + +# #   X   #                                                   
 ###+X+###   XXX   ###+X+###                                                   
   #+ +#   ## # ##   #+ +#                                                     
    ###    #     #    ###                                                       
 ##  #  ## ### ### ##  #  ##                                                   
  ## # ##   #+ +#   ## # ##                                                     
  #+ + +# #   X   # #+ + +#                                                     
    XXX   ###+X+###   XXX                                                       
  #+ + +# #   X   # #+ + +#                                                     
  ## # ##   #+ +#   ## # ##                                                     
 ##  #  ## ### ### ##  #  ##                                                   
    ###    #     #    ###                                                       
   #+ +#   ## # ##   #+ +#                                                     
 ###+X+###   XXX   ###+X+###                                                   
   #+ +#   ## # ##   #+ +#                                                     
X are stair, + are doors, # are floors.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2009, 07:31:15 am »

I'm glad someone bumped this thread, I always forget to beg for a response here:

In a portion of my fortress, I'm planning to build a sort of dorf apartment building.  The idea is that it will be a perfectly circular cylinder with an overhang of one tile. The idea here is that each room has a 2x1-tile balcony beneath this overhang such that when water is constantly poured onto the top of the building (via the underground river), the balconies willbe one tile away from a constant, uniform waterfall.

Short version: Does anybody have a perfectly circular series of bedrooms? Specifically one with an "odd" number of tiles in diameter so water dumped onto its center flows evenly in all directions?

Or.. does DF work like that?
Well, it's not quite easy to fit the requirements. I got a pretty-looking result after a bit of tinkering, with 28 2nd class rooms and 4 1st class rooms per floor (2nd class is 1x3 room with 1x2 balcony, 1st class is 2x2 room with 2 1x2 balconies). There's also a large space inside with roughly-rectangular shape, you can use it to fit additional 3rd class rooms, staircases or whatever.

Note however that for DF physics, movement in the SE-NW and SW-NE directions is the same as in the N-W or W-E directions. So to provide a truly uniform (statistically speaking) waterflow from all sides of your tower, the tower must be a square, not a circle. With a circle design rooms located in the NW, NE, SW and SE sections of the circle will get much more water and thus more mist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just wanted to say epic thanks here. Out of curiosity, will water pressure be a part of this equation? I will be dropping water from 2-3 z levels above the roof fixture.

Edit: Wait, square, or diamond?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:00:58 am by DorfDorfingdorf »
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2010, 01:49:58 pm »

Basic design is in small clusters of 4x4 rooms. Probably more efficient ways to do it, but this one looks good. Here's an example of how to expand it:

The bottom-right-most room can be used as an office or noble housing. ( just take out the boundary wall )

EDIT: And to answer DorfDorfingDorfs question, square.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:59:04 pm by Nobbins »
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2010, 01:44:45 am »

Worked on this for a few minutes. Not sure how it compares to the rest of the thread, but figured I'd contribute it.
EDIT: Seems some of the doors don't work, now that I try building it. I'll edit it later if I get it working.
EDIT2:
Works thanks to this:
You can place a door nekx to a constructed wall, then remove the wall, and the door will stay up.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:06:49 am by tobias »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2010, 05:44:06 am »

Here's one I made to use with a smaller fortress around a 3x3 central stair.
It looks kind of cool if you use a tile set with diagonal smoothed walls.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2010, 07:57:38 am »

Since code confuses me, I'll just describe mine.

I have a central cross-shaped stairway, like a + sign. I do one Shift+space out from the center in each direction, and connect them all up. This gives me 16 3x3 rooms, or 4 larger rooms for nobles. If done on multiple floors, I occasionally give my legendary dwarves a personalised workshop on the floor above or below, with a staircase leading to it with a hatch cover.

And of course, it's all smoothed and engraved.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:52 am »

It's not terribly efficient, but it was designed in mind for the waterfall that will soon be running through the central stairway. The large rooms can be modified as noble housings, or like I will and use them as mini dining rooms to relieve congestion. The 2X3 rooms can be used as noble housing again, or for favorite dwarves.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28