Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136627 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2009, 01:05:02 pm »

Good luck when someone falls. The bottom of the tower will turn red of blood.
Wait, they still fall?  I have never, ever seen a dwarf fall, and I've got some long-ass stairway shafts.  I was certain it wasn't still in.
I have heard they sometimes have a penchant to fall down up/down stairs when tripping. Could have gotten fixed however, i thought the problem was still there.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »

Yah.  It's a 29-level ring stairway.  I thought it might be better for efficiency.
Eleven years, no-one's fallen yet.  Not even when I deconstructed some stairs and the blocks fell all the way to the bottom, right past the worker who did the task.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »

This is my current standard layout for the bedrooms.
For the peasants it is 3*3 with 1 Bed, 1 Coffer and 1 Cabinet, in "blocks" of 5*2 rooms surrounded by 3-wide corridors.
Code: [Select]
.==#===#===#===#===#==.
.|...|...|...|...|...|.
.|...|...|...|...|...|.
.|.B.|.B.|.B.|.B.|.B.|.
.=====================.
.|.B.|.B.|.B.|.B.|.B.|.
.|...|...|...|...|...|.
.|...|...|...|...|...|.
.==#===#===#===#===#==.
The Administrators and most nobles live in 9*9 combined quarters (bedroom/office/dining room) with 1 bed, 1 table and 1 throne and all other junk they might want.
====#====
=.........=
=.........=
=....T....=
=....C....=
=.........=
=....B....=
=========
Have not been allowed to have the King arrive, did notice a message in noble screen that he/she was due to arrive soon, but quit with the fortress before he/she arrived.
The highest noble I have had so far in a 140 dwarf fortress was a Baron which was promoted to Count 1 or 2 months after he arrived.
For the king I was thinking about a 13*13 Combined room or 3 seperate 9*9 rooms (or bigger depending on my mood)

I did notice some annoyance from all the Nobles for having a lesser room then my administrators, appearently their rooms were completely Obsidian and the rooms I gave the nobles were part Alunite.
I was actually tempted to relocate the DM to better quarters because he/she is the only usefull noble I met so far. The Baron/Count can stay in the Alunite room... ;D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2009, 04:47:38 pm »

I just hollowed out the top of my mountian for the king, When he arrives im gonna use all the platinum ive collected to make a full platinum room.....hope he likes platinum  ;D.

However despite how long ive waited the seasons dont change....i have 10 FPS so how long will it take in real time for the seasons to change?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2009, 05:44:58 am »

I was bored, so i tried an inefficient yet FUN design.

On a collab fortress, my guy was called "Mudkip" for some reason. I promptly dug out an even more inefficient design.

Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2009, 09:59:14 am »

Deze foto is enkel toegankelijk voor vrienden van VertigoEagle.

But yes, the inefficient artsy ones are the best. I always imagine making a tower fortress of them by just repeating the general design over and over on new z-levels.

My favorite appears to be missing from this thread. I shall have to research the amazing design it was.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:39 am »

I think the more efficient ones are best, personally.  The more efficient the bedroom design, the less time the dwarves spend making and travelling to/from them and thus the more time they have to spend making giant statues that cry tears of magma.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2009, 11:52:10 am »

Wait, they still fall?  I have never, ever seen a dwarf fall, and I've got some long-ass stairway shafts.  I was certain it wasn't still in.
I have heard they sometimes have a penchant to fall down up/down stairs when tripping. Could have gotten fixed however, i thought the problem was still there.

I think the falling down the stairs is fixed. However, it is still possible for dust from a cave in to knock a dwarf off the stairs and plummet. I had that happen once and I thought everybody was safe inside, but somehow cave-in dust (or maybe the minor quake as a result of it bieng a massive slab) caused one of my forgeworkers to fall 15 levels straight down the stairwell. He was a legendary metalcrafter at that.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »

I build rooms of 5x5 combined bed/table/chair rooms. Minor nobles and admins gets a 5x5 bedroom and a 5x5 office/dining room. major nobles get whatever they require.

The peasantry get their rooms laid out with a two or three wide hallways, one room on either side of the wallway with gaps in between

.   ..   .
.   ..   .

.   .
.   .
.....etc

That way both sides get enravings and they all get a lot of room without taking up too much space. All rooms must be in flux.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2009, 04:45:34 pm »

Deze foto is enkel toegankelijk voor vrienden van VertigoEagle.

I'm sorry, should be fixed by now, it was only the second one I hope?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2009, 05:04:52 pm »

Dunnno if anyone else uses this or has posted it already:

###################
#########B#########
####   #C H########
####   ##D##     ##
####             ##
####   ##D##     ##
####   #C H### ####
##### ###B##C# #H##
###H# #C###B D D B#
##B D D B###H# #C##
###C# #H##B### ####
##### ###C H#   ###
###     ##D##   ###
###             ###
###     ##D##   ###
#########C H#   ###
##########B########
###################

# = wall
  = floor
D = door
C = chest
H = cabinet
B = Bed
Rinse and repeat.
The main part to pick out is the 1x5 corridors between the alternating 3x5 rooms. After that, just fit in the cross-shaped rooms where you can.

Efficient, fractal, lotsa walls for engraving, a door for every room. You can put the middle 1x3 of each 3x5 space as stairs, or a statue in the centre, or whatever.

I find its both easy to designate (after awhile of getting used to it), space-saving, and quite pretty when it's all smoothed. If i knew how, i'd get a screenie up of my current fort's room system, but i don't.

Will if someone shows me though :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2009, 05:05:23 pm »

I use ether a diamond or a circle.

The empty spot in the circle can be used a dining room. Or you can add more rooms. And still have plenty of room for dining.

Alternately you can use the circle for workshops and stockpiles.

Blue=stair

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2009, 11:17:57 pm »

Here's an interesting one I came up with:

+: door
.: floor

++++
+...
+...
+...

Just repeatedly tile it for as many rooms as you need
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:39 am »

++++
+...
+...
+...

Just so you know, doors need to be next to a wall, so that wouldn't work as advertised.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2009, 02:12:38 am »

++++
+...
+...
+...

Just so you know, doors need to be next to a wall, so that wouldn't work as advertised.

You can place a door nekx to a constructed wall, then remove the wall, and the door will stay up.

Or, build it like this:

O:wall

O+O+
+...
O...
+...
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28