Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136662 times)

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2008, 02:55:18 am »

someone should develop vertical bedrooms. with stairs in them. would definatly soilve some problems

The stair will take up a square which can't be built on I don't really see how it can help save space for individual rooms. Dunno about ramps though...

It'd eliminate the hallway around outside of each room, and thusly allows more compact bedroom design without hallways by using the miracle of Z axis  ;) (it'd almost double the density over my current design anyway )

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 03:29:10 am »

2x2 bedrooms would work quite well for vertical stacks. The topmost level would probably work quite well as a dining room, although I don't have a potential design on me right now.

You'd want to avoid stacking it too high, however, due to the fact that the stairwells will essentially be single tile wide halls...

Perhaps have 5x5 blocks of 2x2 bedrooms, four levels above and four below the main dining hall. Just need to get a decent design up for the dining hall.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:57 am »

Mostly I use 2x2 rooms like this.
Code: [Select]
║+++╔═┼╦═┼╦═┼╦═┼╦═┼╦═┼╣
║+++║π+║π+║π+║π+║π+║π+║
║+++║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║
║+++╠══╬══╬══╬══╬══╬══╣
║+++║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║
║+++║π+║π+║π+║π+║π+║π+║
╝+++╚═┼╩═┼╩═┼╩═┼╩═┼╩═┼╣
>+++++++++++++++++++++║
>+++++++++++++++++++++║
>+++++++++++++++++++++║
╗+++╔═┼╦═┼╦═┼╦═┼╦═┼╦═┼╣
║+++║π+║π+║π+║π+║π+║π+║
║+++║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║ÆΘ║
I put a bed, cabinet, and chest in each room and call it a day.

I decided to be bit more "grand" in my latest fortress, and most of the hallways are 5 across and the personal rooms are the same size as the workshop rooms: 3x3.

This is the first design in this thread that I would actually use, and I have used variations of it many times in the past.

Hallways one-square wide are needlessly bad for frame rate and efficiency because dwarves are constantly pushing each other over or trying to find an uncluttered path. A two-wide hallway is also too small if you have a very populated fort. Really, no hallway is big enough if you have enough dwarves passing through it, it's just a matter of how much space you can spare for the sake of efficiency.

At a minimum, I dig a path two squares wide anyplace I want dwarves to go, even so far as creating a path at least two squares wide going to any promising ore veins or clusters of rock crystals. Three and five are nice widths though, at least for the way I design my forts nowadays. I use grids measuring 11x11 for most things, because you can just hit shift-arrow to move 11 squares. it can easily be bisected into nine 3x3 rooms (bedrooms) or four 5x5 rooms (workshops). For stockpiles, I like to have any entrances to a given stockpile only accessible from one direction, it's an inefficiency but one has to make sacrifices for aesthetics sometimes.

My bedrooms usually consist of a 3 to 5-wide hallway that are adjacent to an enclosed 11x11 area. In this I can either dig four deluxe rooms that are 5x5, eight or nine (depending on if I want them passing through eachother's rooms) 'artisan' that are 3x3 rooms, or I start digging out 1x3 or 1x2 shaft rooms with either 2-wide or 1-wide tunnels. In this case, since only a limited number of rooms are accessible in each 'block', I feel it's okay to use narrow hallways.

It's just a matter of trying to blend playability, efficiency, and once all that's done, aesthetics into a package that makes me proud of my fort.

2x2 bedrooms would work quite well for vertical stacks. The topmost level would probably work quite well as a dining room, although I don't have a potential design on me right now.

You'd want to avoid stacking it too high, however, due to the fact that the stairwells will essentially be single tile wide halls...

Perhaps have 5x5 blocks of 2x2 bedrooms, four levels above and four below the main dining hall. Just need to get a decent design up for the dining hall.

I normally don't like my dwarves to travel along the Z-axis unnecessarily, but if each bedroom is isolated and accessible by its own stair this could work very well. They wouldn't be fighting to all use the same stairway, so they shouldn't be blocking the path of other dwarves, ergo that would eliminate one cause of pathing lag.

Then again, every dwarf that wants to 'check chest' would be constantly going up and down stairs, and that can build up. If Z-level pathing inherently causes more lag, this would be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:13:49 am by Stromko »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2008, 01:14:23 pm »

2x2 rooms are also great, because four of them fit into a 5x5 frame. I always use a 5x5 frame, it's very versatile.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2008, 07:23:58 pm »

I get picky.

I always build 7 wide, 3 tall rooms with one bed, and one door.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2008, 05:01:11 pm »

I try not to be too repetitive.  I try to stick to 2x2 rooms, with variations.  Here's one corridor of pricey rooms in my new fortress:

#####################
#++D+#++#+++#++D+D++#
#++#+D++#+++#++#+#++#
####+######D####+####
+++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++

The opposite side of the hall will look the same, but varied.  Nobles get slightly larger rooms, maybe 3x5 or so, usually stacked as office-dining room-bedroom.  The peasants get 1x2 (1x3 if they're lucky) rooms, but I try not to pattern them too much.  I'll angle the room perpendicular or parallel to the hall, switch up orientations, and throw in hallways liberally.

I could say I do it to keep the design more natural and aesthetically freeform, but really it's to keep my OCD from eating me alive.  If one section is patterned, all must be patterned, and if the pattern doesn't (usually because it can't) flow naturally from the previous section, then it's magma flood time.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2008, 06:12:45 pm »

OneRaven, why do you need make the rooms 2 x 3?

Spoiler: 3x3 Version (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: New!!! 4*3^6 (click to show/hide)
Modified the same base so that there isn't so much blank area.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:19 am »

How do you call this design? Ultra-nazi 2008?
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2008, 11:36:07 am »

Um...

Anyways, while the fractal designs are in a way very pretty I for one dont like 'em that much.  Nor do i like the ultra effecient designs very much simply because its not very livable if considered in a human sense.  My bedrooms got to have the three furnitures, and a tile of floor space at the very least.  A door per beroom is prefered (rather then a door for two or four or whatever) and by all means stairs should be avioded, they are ugly and tacky.

As such my bedroom layouts tend towards areas that would appeal to property buyers and not monks and slaves forced into their living conditions.

Typical low rent rooms end up like this:

#####
##B##
#C F#
##D##

B = bed
C = Container
F = wardrobe
d = door
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:47:15 pm by Jingles »

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:30 pm »

I keep it plain and simple...
[][][]                        [][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[B D           or            []B[]B[]B[]B[]B[]B[]B[]
[][][]                          D   D  D  D  D  D  D

[ or [] = wall
B = bed
D = door

P.s : I don't know how to use code on this forum

Lucifer
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:27:29 pm by Lucifer »
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2008, 12:28:59 am »

Use [ code ] and [/ code ], without the spaces.

Main use for it is to create a uniform size for the text...makes ascii drawings easier.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2008, 06:37:35 pm »

*shrug*

SekiSelu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2008, 01:27:49 am »

I'm a fan of T apartments as well, and tried to find a way to fit as many into as small a space as I could. I came up with this design, which retains hallways and stairs wide enough for my taste.

Lobby (Usually expanded out for use as a barracks):
#############
#..>>.......#
#..>>.......#
#.........>>#
#.........>>#
#....<<<....#
#....<o<....#
#....<<<....#
#>>.........#
#>>.........#
#.......>>..#
#.......>>..#
#############

Then the housing, 16 dwarves per floor:
###################
######.############
#####...###########
######.##.###.#####
####.#XX...#...####
###...XX#.###.##.##
####.##.###.#XX...#
######...#...XX#.##
####.##.###.##.####
###...###_###...###
####.##.###.##.####
##.#XX...#...######
#...XX#.###.##.####
##.##.###.#XX...###
####...#...XX#.####
#####.###.##.######
###########...#####
############.######
###################

Time consuming to designate and fill with furniture, but I have macros to do that for me. The hole in the center is a well filled from a pipe on the bottom floor, with pressure keeping the water level high. Though I suggest having a barracks OR a well there. Sparring soldiers have lousy footing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2008, 03:30:27 am »

someone should develop vertical bedrooms. with stairs in them. would definatly soilve some problems

The stair will take up a square which can't be built on I don't really see how it can help save space for individual rooms. Dunno about ramps though...

It'd eliminate the hallway around outside of each room, and thusly allows more compact bedroom design without hallways by using the miracle of Z axis  ;) (it'd almost double the density over my current design anyway )

plus you dont have to worry about loud noises from workshops above or below.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2008, 05:39:06 pm »

Interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28