Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136625 times)

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #315 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:01 pm »

But how would you make sure that the engravers only carved historical events, rather than pictures of plump helmets?

easy, have lots of fun and have master engravers :D

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2011, 09:44:40 pm »

Here is the bedroom layout I use for my non-noble dwarves, (i have around 20 nobles and this hosts pretty much the rest of my whole population). Yes, I use lots of stairs. It doesn't have much lag, although I do play on rather shallow (z < 35) worlds.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Excel: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WV4VXM9O
Quickfort csv (start at 27 steps west, 27 steps north from the central point of central stairwell): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DFC8MVD3

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:59:41 pm by ffaerie »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2011, 05:03:36 pm »

*breathes life back into the thread*.

I have a thing against diagonal entrances to rooms. Here's a square layout I've been using, after modifying a previous bedroom design to not have diagonal entrances anymore

An even 20 rooms per level, with 16 3x3 and 4 1x3 low-class rooms for your poorest and most inconsequential dwarves.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

I typically construct 5x5 clay huts and place a bed, chest, cabinet, table and chair for each dwarf.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2011, 09:36:29 pm »

All you need is a hallway with 1x3 bedrooms branching off it.  They'll love them.  door, cabinet, bed.  That's all they need and they'll be happy.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2011, 10:07:34 pm »

My preferred design:

Each room contains two cabinets and a bed. The down stairs on z1 and the up/down stairs on z0 are covered by hatches. I usually carve out my forts on one or two z-levels, so this is an easy way to triple my bedroom density.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Broseidon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »

I like this bedroom design because it gets the job done and uses the least amount of space.  Also to me its easiest on the eyes.

The main reason why I am bumping this topic is because i was looking through my chests and i realized about 99% of them have nothing in them.  Was wondering if it would be better to do double cabinet and just keep the chests for the soldiers or just keep it the way it is just in case. 

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2012, 10:20:40 pm »

From my experience, dwarves use cabinets a lot more then chests. They use the cabinets to store old, worn-out clothing, but there aren't really a lot of owned items that go into a chest. I don't even build chests in my bedrooms anymore.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2012, 10:59:33 pm »

*breathes life back into the thread*.

I have a thing against diagonal entrances to rooms. Here's a square layout I've been using, after modifying a previous bedroom design to not have diagonal entrances anymore

An even 20 rooms per level, with 16 3x3 and 4 1x3 low-class rooms for your poorest and most inconsequential dwarves.

Nice.  :o Mind if I steal that design? I'm getting a little bored of my square apartment blocks.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »

I always use a 1x5 space "tube" for my bedrooms. I can cram an epic shitton of them in a small space very efficiently.  (Counting the door, the bedroom has exactly 6 tiles of floorspace.)

They can also be made into perfectly square "swastika" like configurations opening onto 2 tile wide corridors in an orderly grid pattern. The swastika configuration has some other advantages, in that nearly all of the walls are shared between bedrooms, giving maximum value from smoothing and engraving. (If you feel the need.) Alternatively, if you are using constructed materials, it increases the economy.

I should take some screenies...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:45 pm »

But how would you make sure that the engravers only carved historical events, rather than pictures of plump helmets?

easy, have lots of fun and have master engravers :D

In current version, engrave only the floors.  If they make a picture of plump helmets, just build a constructed floor on top. This destroys the engraving, and the smoothing.

Rinse, repeat.  I don't have a solution for walls.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2012, 12:06:27 am »

The vast majority of my bedrooms are 2x3 . . . large families and officers/minor nobles usually get an anteroom. I give each one a bed, table, & chair, but I'm only just now discovering cabinets. I also hear that building some "slums" for some dirt-poor dwarves will come into play later on, but I'm sure I'll be ready for that when the time comes.

As far as I know, the only solutions for badly-engraved walls are:
1) Savescum. I *insist* that the entryway to the mayor's audience chamber be engraved with the symbol of my fortress on one side, and the symbol of its parent civilization on the other.
2) Don't read the descriptions of the engravings. I also see that the Designation menu has a "Toggle Engravings" tool, which sounds like it makes engraved walls look like regular smoothed walls to the player.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2012, 12:29:19 am »

You could also make all your walls out of obsidian and recast as needed if the engravings aren't to your liking....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2012, 12:38:38 am »

I love experimenting with bedroom design. My bedrooms are usually either hopelessly tiny or overtly luxurious.

This is one of my favourite compact designs, which I discovered on the wiki:

In my current fortress my dwarves have both an office and a bedroom, with a window in each room that shows them our beautiful aquarium. There is a sewer being built underneath it and soon holes will be knocked in the floors of their offices to provide my dwarves with private restrooms.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:40:30 am by Doughnut189 »
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2012, 08:28:19 am »

Is there any real bonus to 2x3 rooms?  I've been sticking my dwarf in 1x3 rooms with a bed and a cabinet that have engraved walls and floors.  They all seem ecstatic almost constantly.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28