Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136595 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2011, 04:21:23 am »

I've actually never tried to use the record function.... if it can make macros, that could be pretty usefull.

Planning out those spiralling staircases tends to get tedious and invariably at some point you make a mistake, ruining the aestetics of rough stone.(And a miner plummets to her death)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »

I've actually never tried to use the record function.... if it can make macros, that could be pretty usefull.

Planning out those spiralling staircases tends to get tedious and invariably at some point you make a mistake, ruining the aestetics of rough stone.(And a miner plummets to her death)

Yes, you need to learn this.  It is so nice.  For example, I use one to place my bedroom doors 5 squares apart for rooms.  Hit b,d, place your cursor on the first door location, hit ctrl-r  to start recording a macro, place the door, move to the next door location, and hit ctrl-r again.  Then everytime you hit ctrl-p it will place a door at the current location, and move to the next doorway.  (you need to hit "b,d" before you run the macro) Hit ctrl-p 10 times in a row, and it will place 10 doors.  I also use it a lot to dig out pump stacks, and stairwells.  Important things to remember is having the cursor end in a location that you can immediately start it back up after it completes to do several at a time.

On topic, I am trying to find a new more efficient bedroom design, I had been doing main hallways, with branches that led 3x3 or 4x4 rooms.  My current fort has 5x5 rooms, with no hallways, just a grid of rooms with a door on the center of each side, so dwarves walk through bedrooms to get to their own.  I am not looking for space efficient, I have plenty of space, I want to try to ind fps efficient rooms, not sure what works best though.  I also like spoiling my dwarves.  They are digging out the riches of the earth, they shouldn't like like poor humans in poverty.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:52 am »

Here's my extensible, pseudo-circular design for noble quarters

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, I just have a bunch of rooms designated, which I dig doors for as needed. So if one of my nobles wants an office, I just knock the middle wall out between his bedroom and an adjacent room. It's also fairly easy to extend by adding more rings to the configuration, and the rooms are fairly big.

My common quarters are less spectacular.

Yep, commoners get a hole in the wall.  :) At least it's a smoothed, engraved hole. Also, large dining room and statue garden, with the ambitious goal of a waterfall.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2011, 01:21:28 am »

Your design for dining halls isn't great, those diagonal chairs will give unhappy thoughts if used as they don't have a table to use. Likewise the chairs 'sharing' a table will give an unhappy thought if the table is being used by the chair opposite them.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2011, 08:35:43 am »

Your design for dining halls isn't great, those diagonal chairs will give unhappy thoughts if used as they don't have a table to use. Likewise the chairs 'sharing' a table will give an unhappy thought if the table is being used by the chair opposite them.

Huh. I didn't know chairs couldn't use diagonal tables. I guess I sorta knew about the sharing tables thing though. Well, good thing I haven't built it yet!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:27 am »

This thread could use more views.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:10 am »

Commoner Rooms

Upper level : b = bed, + = hatch
Code: [Select]
#######
#.b#.b#
#.+#.+#
#######
#.b#.b#
#.+#.+#
#######

Lower level : < = upstair

#######
#.<..<#
#####.#
#####.#
#.<..<#
#####.#

Essentially all the Dorfs live in a neat grid of rooms while their access is underneath

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 26, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »

What I've been doing lately is making a 4x4 room, putting in beds in the corners, tables and chairs

b= bed
c = chair
d= door
t= table
h = some sort of coffer

######
#BCTB#
DTHHC#
DCHHT#
#BTCB#
######

[/font][/font][/font]

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2011, 03:10:40 pm »

Fortress Actionpaints, year 506, main living room level.  At the left we have the still leaking(until a better power output mechanism is installed) water reactors that run the mist generator, in the middle of the dining room, a z-level lower.

Easy to make, 84 rooms each with a 5th tile for statues etc. to later increase room value, food storages in the middle and a legendary dining room. Now that the big one downstairs is ready I think I'll just remove it, though.

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 26, 2011, 04:32:35 pm »

My current bedroom pattern is more like a fortress pattern. Top layer is farming, underground pasture, and underground trees.  I also keep hives here for my modded in silkworms, pearlworms, and for the honeybees that I modded to provide better mead and more of it per hive. This also houses a stockpile for seeds and a stockpile for potash when I finally get that industry up and running. Above this layer is the above ground fortress, including barracks for military, the Depot, open tiles for the hives in the farming layer, a wall matching the outer pattern, and a drawbridge system with watchtowers for my alert-blue-peacocks.
My next two levels are basic stockpile layers. Wood, furniture, finished goods, etc. sit here. Refuse stockpiles are here. Any stockpiles duplicated on one layer take from the other layer, taking wood down towards my workshops, and tradable goods going up toward the surface. Stockpiles on these levels go on the outer "wings" of the fortress, except for refuse stockpiles, which are based in the center rooms.
The next level is always planned out to support a fortress wide waterfall system to be implemented after vital things like defenses and stability are complete. However, what portion of it isn't used as the plumbing for the waterfalls is a basic workshop stockpile level, plus bedrooms on the outer rings. Tall pumpstacks, driven by water reactors off to the side feed water to the four central hatches, which are open almost always.
Most of the remaining levels are based on this one, which I have a convenient macro written for.  Bedrooms on the outer ring, stockpiles or workshops right outside the doors, some walking room, and a ring of statues around the 3 by 3 open space where my waterfalls constantly wash mist over everything.  These levels can be converted into dining rooms by lining the statues with tables and chairs, leaving room for a lot of prepared food and drink storage where the workshops usually go. Hospitals can appropriate the bedrooms for nice hospital rooms, leaving more than enough space for the coffers and traction benches. Statue gardens are an obvious possibility on any floor considering statues line the inner column of empty space.  The bedrooms can be combined, or built out from for nobles needing larger space.  Minor administrators such as the mayor or the captain of the guard get small two level room systems, with an entrance only using two rooms of one level.  Barons and greater nobles get a set of four rooms converted on one floor for their entryway, with two to three levels of rooms outside of the basic pattern.
At the bottom of all these is a simple water reservoir that feeds the waterfall pump stacks. If desired, magma plumbing could be easily provided to the bottom most level, providing everything you need.

The pattern is 15 tiles from side to side, excluding bedrooms, and when the last pattern is stacked 16 levels high it will give you enough room for 256 dwarves.  This leaves enough extra bedrooms to accommodate prison chains, hospitals, and noble quarters.  It gives a huge amount of room for workshops and stockpiles of any sort, and if there's room below, there's more than enough room for tombs and crypts. At 16 by 15 by 15, pathing is extremely efficient, dwarves tend to walk almost directly to where they need to go, though you have to be careful not to wall a bedroom in with workshops like the jewelers shop.

Considering the waterfall in the center that every dwarf enjoys nearly constantly, as well as the ubiquitous statues on almost every floor, my dwarves are rarely unhappy once I have this all set up correctly.  Combined with replacing lower quality furniture with masterwork every now and then, you can keep a fortress so happy that what noise there is from being right next to industry is insignificant.
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

It's so disturbing to look at a tileset... Took me a while to understand it all.

I use hallway rooms on 3 z-levels, with the hallway in the middle level, giving an average of 4.5 rooms per hall length. Regular rooms are 3x1, 4x1 or 2x6. Dwarves can walk on the closed hatches, but I set them as low traffic to avoid excessive stunning 1-z-level falls. The main floor rooms are less valuable since they are smaller, and some of the upper rooms have the added value of the hatch cover.

The printscreens show three 20-tiles-long hallways, giving over 250 rooms.

As for furnitures, 1 bed per room, plus 1 masterwork copper cabinet. No chest since they are currently useless and can't be melted. All doors and hatches are copper and of masterwork quality.

Copper base value is 2, meaning those copper stuff are worth 240 dwarfbucks. Not much (it gives quarters or decent quarters), but it's still above every common dwarf's standard, meaning they consider it as a great bedroom or something and get a good thought. And nobles/administrators are not jealous.

It's so easy to melt every low-quality furniture, I couldn't resist...

I tend to use hallways only once every 3 levels, even for working areas. It's too easy to access the level above and below with a ramp. I love the 3rd dimension.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »

Nano Fortress bedroom design

- Space-saving vertical layout
- Roomy (2/3 8 tiles, 1/3 9 tiles)
- Good looking (confirmed by my girlfriend)

My fortress is centered around the 3x3 central staircase. The additional 6 staircases only exist on bedroom levels, and start at the dining hall level.

Dining hall complete with dwarven bathtub, waterfall, and 5 activity rooms for such fun as: levers, zoo, arena, well, graveyard.

Hope you like it. =)
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2011, 03:06:47 pm »

Here's mine
████
█BT█
█..█
█+██
Put a bunch of those in walls, and there's how i do them.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:57 am »

if you designate a room everything inside the room designation belongs to the assigned dwarf, right? even the door?

or at least they can admire it and have happy thoughts?

What about floor hatches?? If they are inside the room (as in on a floor tile that belongs to the room designation) they behave like a door in the wall in terms of ownership and thoughts??

What if the hatch is in the ceiling? Like inside the room there is an up-stair and the down-stair in the upper z-level has a hatch, does that hatch belong to the room??

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2011, 10:04:06 am »

Nano Fortress bedroom design

Looks great, but i think i can see a way of making all the rooms 9 tiles with a small modification.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28