Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136601 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »

I use a fractal design as well, with 27 beds per "leaf": http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/images/6/69/SavokisLeaf08a032.png

I like it since with three leaves, you've got enough space on the fourth side for your workshops (without noise being an issue), and you only need 2 levels for your housing. For me, that's important since I like building my housing near the surface (hopefully in a flux layer), and the top layers don't go very deep.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 01:16:26 am »

OneRaven, why do you need make the rooms 2 x 3?

Spoiler: 3x3 Version (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: New!!! 4*3^6 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:54:23 am by Foa »

ShamedShadow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • AMERICAAAAAA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2008, 06:48:20 pm »

Just a thought, Foa, but the design you posted is incredibly inefficient from what I can tell. There's too much open space for it to be truly labor-efficient. My thought would be that your miners would spend more time digging the pathways than the rooms, which if you experience a large immigrant wave could cause them to have to wait and sleep in a barracks until the rooms have been dug and furnished. Admittedly it looks cool and is visually appealing, but overall could harm the efficiency of your dwarves after sleeping in the long run. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:19:54 pm by ShamedShadow »
"Faith is like an empty cup. When you're small, the glass is small and easier to fill. But as you grow, so too does the cup, and it becomes harder and harder to fill."

Canaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 08:42:57 pm »

I see nothing wrong with spoiling your Dawrves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though my original 7 usually end up with even better accomodations, and I bunk all migrants in one large room until I dig them more private lodgings.

ShamedShadow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • AMERICAAAAAA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2008, 09:06:48 pm »

I never said there was anything wrong with it. I was just saying that if you're looking for the best way to get your dwarves back to work quickly that design wouldn't be the one to use. But if you're not worried about that and have the time for it, go for it. :)
"Faith is like an empty cup. When you're small, the glass is small and easier to fill. But as you grow, so too does the cup, and it becomes harder and harder to fill."

_Acorn_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2008, 09:59:37 pm »

How many local area tile's does that room fill?

That big blank spot in the middle should be a volcano.  Workshops and noble's bedrooms up against the magma, then a layer of stockpiles, farms further out, more stockpiles, stills farmer's workshops mills and looms just outside the first rooms, kitchens in the first rooms, more stockpiles for food and booze, and the peasants sleep along the edge.  Nobles and skilled crafters can get bedrooms closer to the magma on different z-levels.  You could even make the whole fractal level nothing but workshops and stockpiles, and give everyone a bedroom above or below their job.

ShamedShadow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • AMERICAAAAAA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2008, 11:37:19 am »

The only problem I see with that is that workshops make noise, so if dwarfs are working nearby to other dwarfs who are sleeping then that could make unhappy thoughts. And we don't like unhappy thoughts. Haha.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2008, 12:04:25 pm »

I see nothing wrong with spoiling your Dawrves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though my original 7 usually end up with even better accomodations, and I bunk all migrants in one large room until I dig them more private lodgings.

I agree with this as long as you have means to make a better room for nobles and/or kings though I make 4x4 or even 5x5 rooms (depending on space and general fort layout).
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2008, 12:22:21 pm »

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2008, 08:22:37 am »

NECRO.
SPAMMER!
No, seriously, what does black magic have to do with my bedroom design? :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:00:21 pm by MC Dirty »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2008, 04:12:25 pm »

As has already been noted, once you get past the second or third iteration, you are losing too much space in the middle to be efficient.  Better it would be to drop multiple blocks and connect them on other levels.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2008, 05:01:11 pm »

As has already been noted, once you get past the second or third iteration, you are losing too much space in the middle to be efficient.  Better it would be to drop multiple blocks and connect them on other levels.
You know you can RECYCLE the wasted space, for like say barracks, noble lodgings, and other uses.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2008, 02:07:50 am »

i make 3X3 rooms on thewir own floor for all my dwarves, then once the economy kicks in i use the space thats too small for 3X3's to make custom rooms. and make them better or worse

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2008, 12:40:36 pm »

My current fortress is using a private bedroom/dining room setup for each dwarf. Very modular.
Code: [Select]
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
D is door, # is wall, + is floor space. Those are surrounded by 2 tile wide hallways. Enough room for every dwarf to have an armor stand, weapons stand, cabinet, coffer, statue, and a bed. Every dwarf has a private dining room with booze and food and when nobles start coming I simply make the rooms bigger.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2008, 01:36:11 pm »

My current fortress is using a private bedroom/dining room setup for each dwarf. Very modular.
Code: [Select]
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
#+++D+++#
#+++#+++#
D#######D
D is door, # is wall, + is floor space. Those are surrounded by 2 tile wide hallways. Enough room for every dwarf to have an armor stand, weapons stand, cabinet, coffer, statue, and a bed. Every dwarf has a private dining room with booze and food and when nobles start coming I simply make the rooms bigger.
2x3, peh, 3x3 is the way to go, because it can house all necessities, and give them enough space to walk through and be able to access the utilities.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28