Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136606 times)

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2009, 05:14:53 pm »

Can't go wrong with this.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2009, 05:55:40 pm »

I have a very boring basic floor plan.. this is a 116 bed complex:

Normally I would have the kitchens above, and the stairwell would run right into the middle of the dining hall.

I didn't do it here for some reason though.

I usually plan the whole thing out and then seperate it into chunks by removing dig designations to the outer halls.  I always try to keep 20 rooms ready for migrants at all times.

Must be a gracious host, after all.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2009, 08:18:34 pm »

I tend to use max efficiency designs in my temp forts while setting up permanent residence. When I move the team into their rooms, I make sure families get their own space (inc. kid room if nec.) and that everything is laid out more house-like than efficient. I also leave walls 2x thick so inner surfaces can be engraved regardless. I find it so hard to make dwarves live in horrible conditions once a few years have gone by and you get fond of them all! :)

Of course, then one of the bastards leaves a rock in the door during siege season. Then you get assigned to the pits.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:24 pm »

I currently have a fort with 110 dwarves in 3 different styles of rooms. I never have problems with fps, I am always in the 60-100 range, though I may go lower when I tell my dwarves to clear the rock from the royal rooms, then it dips severly as all the dwarves path to their precious little rocky friends.anyway, my rooms are like this:
The Noble House
nobles get ornate, styled rooms designed to conform to the natural curves of wherever they may be. my baron has a stone floor, and clear glass windows with a view out into the river. he has made friends with a salmon, I don't know how.
The Villa
the classic 3x3 room, shaped, based on, and made (mostly) by workshops. they are distigushed by three things, denoting the importance (or luck) of the dwarf who resides ther. these three things are:
a coffer: only the most prestigeous of my dwaves get these tricked out villas. Legends among the populace, like that stonecafter who made a boot, or the retard with the leather hammer.
a cabinet: This is the second highest non-noble room a dwarf can get he or she now has the ability to store the materwork pig tail sock they stole from the dead fisherman.
a bed: yay. you can sleep.
the cottage
this is a simple 3x2 room, set up to look square as apposed to the more common rectangle. humble, and good for the dwarf who works, but not that much.
The Hovel
a 1x3 room stick, you lazy bastard. look forward to all the hauling you'll do.
The WTFZOMGBBQ Room
sometimes, I just can't leave my dwarves the hell alone. Sometimes, I get bored, and when I get bored, bad things tend to happen. Or good things. Those can happen too. Usually, this is the room that looks like some drunk dwarf smoked some rat weed and decided to carve out his own room. this room is usually occupied by the dungeon Master. Or the philosopher. Or the Prophet (Got to Have one. He does the rain dance!) It is also ingraved with CHEESE!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:51 pm »

NEat-o

Keep'em coming.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2009, 12:11:50 am »

I tend to be very space-conserving with my fortresses, sticking to Z-levels as much as possible.  The upshot of this is that I don't ruin my fortress proper while digging out veins, and can link the mining tunnels straight up to my many-Z-level stockpiles that are stairway-connected to the main fort.  Here's my design as of late for my entire fortress, in a repeating Z-level fashion.

It works surprisingly well.
Sanity is for the weak.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2009, 01:21:04 am »

My bedroom and workshop level plans, respectively. Red is stairs, green is coffin alcoves.

Advantages:
-Fits into a single embark tile snugly.
-96 dorfs bedded on each bedroom level, with four dining rooms attached.
-Plenty of coffin space without digging out catacombs.
-Tonnes of storage right next to workshops

Disadvantages:
-I go absolutely insane any time I try to play a succession, because I've forgotten how to make a fortress NOT like this.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2009, 11:58:49 am »

Bump. :-)

I usually follow a very simple z-intensive pattern based around the 15*15 prospecting mining template (highlighted with blue color on the map). Essentially an entire central z-column is dedicated to housing, the 3-tile-wide corridor around it for transportation, and the surrounding blocks are used for workshops. There is absolutely no noise (workshops are 5 squares away and all mining operations are at least 9 squares away, usually more), and the travel time between the dwarf's bed and his workshop is usually within 6-10 squares (it takes a bit of work to allocate dwarves manually to the rooms closest to their workshops though).

Rooms can be expanded if necessary (top and top-right rooms on the example) and the central space can be used for extra personal rooms, offices, small burial chambers or whatever else.

Dining hall can be made by excavating an 11x11 room instead of all the housing. If you want waterfalls in the dining hall you'll have to dedicate two layers, but this is perfectly affordable even on plain maps (and on mountainous maps you will likely have considerably more than 15 z-layers).

Noble housing can be built separately, or integrated into the main design, depending on preferences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2009, 01:52:21 pm »

I'm glad someone bumped this thread, I always forget to beg for a response here:

In a portion of my fortress, I'm planning to build a sort of dorf apartment building.  The idea is that it will be a perfectly circular cylinder with an overhang of one tile. The idea here is that each room has a 2x1-tile balcony beneath this overhang such that when water is constantly poured onto the top of the building (via the underground river), the balconies willbe one tile away from a constant, uniform waterfall.

Short version: Does anybody have a perfectly circular series of bedrooms? Specifically one with an "odd" number of tiles in diameter so water dumped onto its center flows evenly in all directions?

Or.. does DF work like that?
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2009, 02:46:10 pm »

The Noble House
nobles get ornate, styled rooms designed to conform to the natural curves of wherever they may be. my baron has a stone floor, and clear glass windows with a view out into the river. he has made friends with a salmon, I don't know how.

I always design noble housing so the inhabitants are able to "make friends with the fish".

Urist McArchitect: I hope your grace finds his new accomodations inviting.
Urist McNoble: Why is the floor damp?  And what is this lever for?
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »

I just use a big block like this:
░░░░░░░░░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░BBBBBBBBBB░░
░BBBBBBBBBB   D
░BBBBBBBBBB░░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░BBBBBBBBBB░
░░░░░░░░░

Key:
B=bed
D=door
░=wall

This design is enough for 100 non-noble dwarves.Each bed is a 1X1 "room"

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »

This design worked pretty well for my last fortress(max 30 population).  It uses 4 z-levels and each z-level has 8 4x4 rooms each with a 3x4 dining room.  That's a total of 32 rooms and 32 dining rooms.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2009, 06:07:12 pm »

Yayy fractals. The design is based off of shamelessly torn from the wiki.

Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »

I once did an entire level of swastika tesselations for a tomb level. worked out rather well.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2009, 06:47:55 pm »

While many of these are nifty, I still like my layout best.  Some day I should make a proper tower fort with that layout.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28