Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136651 times)

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2009, 04:44:29 pm »

My twist is a waterfall for every dwarf.  This is based on a Banach fractal (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Banach_fractal_-_rose_2.png).  As drawn, there are 81 rooms with 41 floor tiles and 36 wall tiles.  Can split in half or quarters for up to 324 rooms.  Footprint is 121x121x4.  Probably not the most efficient, due to the hallways up top, but pretty.  Good luck getting power to the pumps.  Scale is 2x2 pixels per block.

Holy Crap...

Anyways, This is what I used for an entire fortress once.

I started with the smallest version (Just a +) for the top floor, then went one bigger each floor down.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2009, 05:09:59 pm »

I've been building above-ground castles for my dwarfs to live in:

This goes up several z-levels with more floors full of rooms.  The nobles get big rooms on the west side.  Normal dwarfs get 3x4 rooms on the other three sides.  Each room gets bed and a window with a view, and some have a chest and/or a cabinet.  Corner rooms for special dwarfs (miners, etc) are 5x5 with six windows.  The courtyard is lined with stairways that go all the way up to the roof, and all the way down to the workshops 10 floors below.

Yes, "Kisscity" is the name the computer gave to this fort.  The Queen lives here, and her name is Olon Warbolts.

And yes, that is a leopard chained up by the main entrance in the barracks.  He's there in case anybody gets through the trap and ballista lined entrance tunnel downstairs, you see.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2009, 03:57:43 am »

Nice

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2009, 04:58:08 am »

Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2009, 04:31:35 pm »

A 5x5 design that shoves in as much crap as possible, while still having walkable* floor tiles and unblocked wall tiles:

Code: [Select]
#########
#╔═════╗#
#║T,,FF║#
#║C░.?.║#
#║,.B..┼.
#║.?.W.║#
#║FF,,,║#
#╚═════╝#
#########
IMPORTANT NOTE: DOORWAY MUST BE ON EAST/WEST WALLS, AND WALLS MUST BE 2 TILES THICK. Failure to do so would cause the wall engraving to be on the incorrect side of the room and/or door, as per the rule on the Designation wiki page.

The insides can be rotated or re-arranged in whatever manner, but generally:
T Table
C Chair
B Bed
W Well
F Furniture (Bags, chests, cabinets, armor/weapon stands)
, Additional, optional furniture positions
? Path-blocking or other furniture (statues, windows, supports, natural stone wall, constructed wall of _, etc)
. Floor, the two between the door/bed having a rope "carpet" with attached pet (if any)
# Undug and rough natural stone walls, or just undiscovered stone.
░ Possible position for a water (or FUN magma) fall! Or just another random peice of furniture.

If the waterfall IS being used, you can just have a huge collumn of rooms that all use the same waterfall hole position and just have the water drop through all the rooms at once; though doing this prevents you from using a well, since they block each other if you stack them. If you ARE using a well, then you have three options:
1. Dig a ramp-channel where the well will be, designate as a pond, and dump water in it, building the well on top. Pushes the room below one level down.

2. Have the well be fed by the water fall directly, without a way to store water. Either pushes the room beneath down one level, or in front of where the well is positioned. Further waterfalls beyond the first would be difficult to make without pushing the room down ANOTHER z level.

3. The same as 2, but dig an additional vertical shaft directly beneath the well of arbitrary depth so even if the waterfall stops, the well will have some water. If you want a room that has a waterfall and water storage fed by said waterfall, you'll have to spend 3 or more z levels on the plumbing.

For obvious (FUN) reasons, i didn't include the option of having a magma heating/garbage disposal hole in the room. Though i suppose you could put it where one of the ? marks are; and if you have a running water fall you may as well make use of the z level below the room that's required for it.

(*for the OCD in me that says "OMGWTF YOU CAN'T WALK OVER A CABINET!)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:34:21 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2009, 06:49:59 pm »

Hmm... waterfalls.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2009, 10:56:00 pm »

(*for the OCD in me that says "OMGWTF YOU CAN'T WALK OVER A CABINET!)

If I'm space constrained, and I have to use 1x3 rooms for some reason, I'll do cabinet-bed-chest-door. I had a dorm room like that once.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2009, 04:28:20 pm »

Anybody have any good Quickfort csvs? I've started to make my own but some designs like fractals are time consuming and confusing to write out.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:29 am »

Quick fort? Hmmm... Not that I know of.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2009, 11:26:56 am »

Edit: Oops! Pressed reply instead of preview, please hold!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
######F##FF##F####
######F#HFFH#F####
##FFF#F#CTTC#F#FFF
##FBF#F#CTTC#F#FBF
##FFF#F#FWAF#F#FFF
#####D#######D####
##FFF#FFF##FFF#FFF
##FBF#FBF##FBF#FBF
##FFF#FFF##FFF#FFF
# = Unmined/Wall
F = Floor
B = Bed
D = Door
H = Container
A = Armour Stand
W = Weapons rack
T = Table
C = Chair

It's a repeating pattern, usually on both sides of the Hallway, and the extra # between the rooms and the Hallway is meant for statues eventually. The centre rooms are communal rooms/diners.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:33:26 am by Mraedis »
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »

My last fortress, I turned my exploratory tunnels into temporary bedrooms but they turned out to be so popular that I exterminated my dwarfs with fire and starvation and demons.

#       XXX   #
 #  B  XXXXX   #
  # .   XXX   . #
 . #  B  X   X   #
 B  # .     XXX   #
   . #  B  XXXXX   #
 B B  # .   XXX   . #
 .   . #  B  X   X   #
#  B B  # .     XXX   #
 # .   . #  B  XXXXX   #

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2009, 02:07:47 pm »

My fort's housing complex

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-15002-housingcomplex
I think it's the tileset, but that looks so perfectly beautiful (useful and visually interesting) I think I just had a small attack of Stendhal syndrome.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2009, 02:37:44 am »

This is an "efficiency for minmaxers" design.

The most efficient fortress would be a sphere, with a transdimensional entrance in the center. The bedrooms would be located at the edges, the stockpiles in the center, and the workshops in between. If you care about noise, the workshops would be at the center and the stockpiles would buffer the bedrooms from the workshops.

However, since a transdimensional sphere-center entrance is impossible, and spheres do not translate well into a grid environment, I've decided on a cylindrical tower.

Observrve it.

Green is stairs, black is walls, blue is doors, and red is magma. B-level is bedrooms, W-level is workshops, MW-level is magma workshops, M-level is magma distribution and storage, S-level is storage (stockpile).

The tower is split into two halves: above and below. Housing 200 dwarves requires 12 B-levels, which are sound-buffered by 8 S-levels (1 of which can be an M-level), and the core of the tower are the W-levels, the number of which will vary depending on how many workshops you want, obviously. Each half-tower has half the levels... 6 B-levels, 4 S-levels, and n W-levels (on a map with magma you would want to replace an S- and W-level with an M- and MW-level, respectively.

The bottom half can be built in the ground, the top half can be built up.

Some features:
  • Seventeen rooms per level. Yay, primes.
  • All 3x3 bedrooms except the center five can be expanded out, or have walls knocked down to accommodate nobles (or elaborate death traps)
  • Magma workshop design is included, you will have 12 magma-capable workshop locations.
  • You will have to figure out a way to get magma into the magma system by yourself. This is location-dependent and is not accounted for.
  • Workshop levels accommodate 4x3 shops and 5x5 shops.
  • Each room can be locked off, and, if hatches are built, each level can be isolated.
  • 3x4 and unused 4x3 and 5x5 rooms can have a personal stockpile in the 3 or 7 squares (i.e. 3 leather bins next to a clothier's shop).
  • Magma level has four maintenance tunnels: keep the doors closed (and out of magma-safe materials) unless you build a magma-flush system.
  • Center room can be modified into a pump stack to pump magma to the top of your tower and provide Fun in case you do it wrong.
  • North and South magma maintenance tunnels can be modified into pump stacks as well, for either magma or water.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »

nice!

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2009, 01:23:42 am »

Does no one else use multiple z-levels for bedrooms?
Oh yes, I had good experiences with these core elements:

Housing level
#########
#...#...#
#...#...#
#..+#+..#
####X####
#..+#+..#
#...#...#
#...#...#
#########

"Lobby" level
###...###
###...###
##.....##
....X....
##.....##
###...###
###...###

Essentially a dedicated "lobby" level that also includes wells and offices services several levels of bedrooms. The advantage of the design is that I can always tack on additional housing levels above or below since the short single tile stairway is not that much of a choking point.
The drawback is that to have free z-space the housing complex has to be built a bit offset from the fort's working areas. To save on travel time it is also possible to essentially completely hollow out the "lobby" level so dwarves make a beeline directly to their bedroom's stairs.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28