Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136624 times)

SpiralHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2008, 07:24:50 pm »

Wow, I must be silly for making 7x9 rooms for my dorfs >_>

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2008, 11:29:53 pm »

if you have the room i say go for it...of course thats around 12800 digign tiles...which means 10000 more stone.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2008, 01:21:36 am »

Current deisgn for my above ground fort.

Ignore the light blue blocks, those were just measurement aids when I originally put the circular base together.

Key should be mostly obvious, but I'll state it anyways.

Black: Wall
White: Floor when inside, empty space when outside.
Light green: Door
Dark tanish color: Windows
Dark blue: Waterfall
Light/dark purple: Ramps.

The NW and SE corners will house water pump stacks that feed both the central and four outter waterfalls. Ruins the circular base, but those were the only spots I could attach a 2x4+ sized addition to the shape without making it look god awful.

Houses 24 dwarves per level. Could house more using a more standard layout, but I'm trying my hand at creating an interesting design that's also reasonably efficent instead of doing the rather drab modular designs that I've been doing.

Hmm...should modify it to see how well it'd handle nobles...

For my military:

I'll have eight of these in place on my outter wall that will house most, if not all, of my military. With four dwarves per level, two levels per structure, and eight total structures, I'll be able to maintain a standing army of 64 dwarves. I'll likely break up squads into squads of four with melee squads stationed on the bottom, crossbows up top.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:41 am »

Looks nice, I think I'll stick with my 2x2 room and 3 wide hall ways though :P

If I was starting fresh, and had plenty of time to plan things out from the get go, I might go for something like that.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2008, 02:25:56 am »

Hah.

That's all I have right now...time to plan. On my old comp at the moment and I don't think a computer that was middle of the line in 2000 can handle DF all that well ;p

It run's MS Paint just fine though, haha.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2008, 02:30:09 am »

Wow Ashery those look great! Definitely will be trying them.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2008, 04:58:34 am »

Want the other levels to go with the tower? Catacombs, storage, main level, workshops, dining, and the area between dining/housing that's there for both looks and to act as a noise buffer.

tr00st

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2009, 10:27:28 am »

Got bored on the train the other day, and spent a few minutes designing some slum-housing - enough space for a bed and a chest, nothing else... Still, reasonably high density and not too inefficient for travel distance...

http://tr00st.co.uk/pics/myroomdesign.png

Red = Door
White = Room
Grey = Corridor
Yellow = Stairs

Each of the sections represents a floor in my design, the far left (or far right, given that the design is symmetrical...) being the lowest floor, and the largest being the middle floor. The design was made to reduce maximum distance from the entrance to the middle floor (that being the point where my workshops were closest to in the fortress I was designing it for).

Centre floor holds 84 dwarves, smallest floors hold 4 - total for this particular version is 224 (I think...)

(not the oldest thread I've bumped in a forum before, but still, apologies for the bump)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »

that is definatly my style of housing. 2 by 3 rooms close together like that.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2009, 06:03:09 pm »

Got bored on the train the other day, and spent a few minutes designing some slum-housing - enough space for a bed and a chest, nothing else... Still, reasonably high density and not too inefficient for travel distance...

http://tr00st.co.uk/pics/myroomdesign.png

I totally want to see that done vertically. Like a giant housing pine cone. Bonus points for doing it in a magma pipe.
!!&!!

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »

I make 3x3 rooms with a cabinet and a bed each. The bed is wood, the cabinet is usually stone.

Thing is, I have a taste for giant towers full of rooms; I usually use what time I have before OH GOD GOBLINS to make Rooms Towers.

My latest is eight stories tall, if you count the two underground layers that were just cut out.

The whole shebang is in a marshy volcano; I'm trying to find the magma without much luck.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:14 pm »

might as well throw my designs into the mix, this is for outdoor use, good base tower, can convert the upper floor easily into other configs or simply make into 3x3 rooms instead if 2x2.

Code: [Select]
       #######
       #..#..#
       #D.#.D#
    ###X#####X###
    #.D#D.#.D#D.# 
    #..#..#..#..#
    #############
    #..#..#..#..#
    #.D#D.#.D#D.#
    ###X#####X###
       #D.#.D#
       #..#..#
       #######

and for the truly poor, the long apartment style building ( I do all these as outdoor constructions myself ).  I set this along a major roadway.

X X X X X X X X
#D#D#D#D#D#D#D#D#D#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
###################

and for the middle class 5x5 towers, usually in 1x3 blocks like a human town might be with alleys and such

#######
#...#<#
#...#.D    1st floor
#...D.#
#######

#######
#...#>#
#...D.#     2nd floor
#...#<#
#######

#######
#...D.#
#...#.#     3rd floor
#...#>#
#######

PS:  Edit - I didnt note the beds and furniture.  I always give everyone a cabinet and bed minimum of course.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:57:37 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Uninvited Guest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:35 am »

i just make a ~20x30 room and throw a crap-load of beds in it, max out the room size for each (tedious), and throw some high quality bags in there (i make or buy from dwarf traders). everyone loves their room. I load it up with tables and chairs and make it their meeting dining hall too (save travel time!).

once you get a furniture artifact (i usually do within a few years) everyone is ecstatic about sleeping in their opulent bedroom.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:18 am »

Communist.
!!&!!

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2009, 01:41:54 am »

Wow, everyone is working on these very efficient bedrooms, while I'm just dropping them where I feel they're appropriate. But then again, I'm building above ground, so there is plenty of room.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28