Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: should you assign secondary weapons to marksmen ?  (Read 1109 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
should you assign secondary weapons to marksmen ?
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:14:16 pm »

What are people's thoughts and experiences with giving marksmen a secondary weapon ?

the modded civilisation I am playing, one of the weapons they have access to is a large knife, so I am wondering if perhaps that would be a better weapon than their crossbow's bash attack.

Has anyone tried giving marksmen a secondary weapon, and did it work ?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: should you assign secondary weapons to marksmen ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:19:34 pm »

In 43.5, I had several squads train for a couple of years, each with a different uniform. The uniforms each had a shield and two weapons. The difference in the uniforms was in the order that the shields and weapons were added to the uniforms. All the equipment was built before the squads were created.

The dwarfs seemed to wield the first two hand-held items that were added to the uniform, and strap the third item across their back. During that time, training and sparring, they only used the first two items added to the uniform.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:30:45 am »

[...] and strap the third item across their back. [...]

That makes me think, would this mean they would draw their secondary equipment is disarmed? 'Cause while that is not much benefit for Marksdwarves melee troops could have some, if negligible, benefits of the secondary weapon is light enough...
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:43:07 am »

Do fighters ever get disarmed in a way that's not literal, and thus precluding rearming?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:19:45 am »

weapons get stuck in wounds, that's an effective disarm that could benefit fropm a second weapon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:38:50 am »

I think the easiest way to test that, at least in controlled environment with repeatable results would be the Arena. My plan is the following:

• Spawn two dwarves, one with 3 objects, other unarmed.
  • Possess the unarmed Dwarf
  • Instigate conflict
  • Wrestle one of the objects away
  • ? ? ?
  • Profit
I will do some testing tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

To answer original question, if it is possible for dwarves to have secondary armaments it is likely to have no positive effects on Marksdwarves. In my experience they should be behind fortifications, at least on Z-Level higher than ground, and if they get in the melee from there without a dedicated melee squad being involved something already went horribly wrong thus extra weapons wold only mean more weight.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:53:46 am by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.