Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: C.Seedship  (Read 10713 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: C.Seedship
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:02 am »

Wait, what have we used 14 units of high tech maintenance supplies on in the last two updates?

We only have 2(!) units left, we cant afford to repair anything else right now.

DO NOT USE HIGH TECH MAINTENANCE SUPPLIES unless specifically asked.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 12:54:10 am »

It sounds like we are comprised of multiple personality fragments.  While we might not be able to create new personalities (suspect they are actually transhuman intelligences, which is why they are "inefficient") but we might be able "poll" our existing stock of them, inquire if any wish to be "duplicated and installed", and leave them in charge of such a station. 

It is also possible that enough of our personality fragments have sufficient metadata about our databases to do a heuristic reconstruction. We might inquire.

Concerning the silicates present in the system and regolith of the second planet's moon--

How much of it is comprised of rare-earth silicates, and how much of it is transition metal silicates? (Silicate minerals are "salts" of silicon, oxygen, and some metallic ion. I want to know what metallic ions are present. On earth, the most common is aluminum and magnesium silicates. This may not be true for this moon or this planetary body. That it contains iron suggests the system formed from the debris of a larger star long ago, and that heavier elements are present. Aluminum and silicon are very similar in atomic mass, suggesting that if the system is silicate rich, it should be aluminum rich.) Aluminum based mirrors would be suitable for the task specified, and aluminum superstructure, wiring, et al, useful alternatives to gold and silver for wiring purposes, just not for high fidelity connections due to the lower conductivity and greater impedance. Phosphorus can be used as a doping agent (and is likewise similar in atomic mass to silicon), along with aluminum, to create semiconductor junctions. They might not be the most high performance, but we can create equipment with it, assuming those elements are present along with the silicon. 

To determine feasibility for establishing a biosphere, we need several essential elements: Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen and Phosphorus.  If we have these, we need to look for aluminum and iron. If we have all of these, and a suitable energy source for a biosphere, we have a feasible location, and the same locations would be good for restocking some of our high-tech supplies.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:59:50 am by wierd »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2018, 02:35:12 am »

We should check the cultural, and medical and healthcare databases to see if any of the information from the scientific, simulation, or engineering databases got mixed in with the other data.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:46 am »

If we want to refuel this is our best bet:

a yellow main  sequence(III) approximately 12 light years away is likely to have four planets, one of which is probably a gas giant, which would consume 17%.

Let's see if we can replenish our repair supplies, if not we can pull our drones we can back and head out once we fill up on basic materials.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 04:53:24 am »

A yellow sequence III star is more likely to have useful heavy metals (gold, silver, etc) as well, which would go a long ways toward replenishing our high-tech repair consumables. 

Gas giants are likely to also contain ammonia and other interesting gasses, which are useful feedstocks for a variety of materials. (ammonia is a useful feedstock for polyamide based plastics, like nylon, etc.)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2018, 11:33:48 am »

((So, what's the consensus? Fly far away or stay and try to settle?))
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:05 am »

I am up for refueling and then flying away.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:35 am »

I favour sticking around to investigate further.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2018, 11:44:04 am »

I think once we get what we can from the rings we should head for the yellow star.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 12:56:36 pm »

-RETRACTED-

+1 to minimal stocking up and heading for the yellow.

If we’re life-sustaining, we could go about looming a crew during the trip?
They might be more energy-efficient maintenance.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:56:05 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2018, 01:38:47 pm »

[BOOT]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:07:40 pm by filiusenox »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2018, 07:54:25 pm »

I think once we get what we can from the rings we should head for the yellow star.
+1 Might as well get what we can while we are here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:48 pm »

Code: [Select]
if update.new !=1 do
   system.get(io.update,"soon")
else
   thread.bump(text="update now!") && status.setAnnoyed
end
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 12:48:33 pm »

Lets collect navigational data while traveling. Experience is the best teacher and we want to get it up past 65%
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 07:53:09 pm »

ATOMIC CLOCK: 7/1/4XX6
Power:100% Operational
   Solar Power: 100% operational
   Dyson Reactor: 100% operational
         FUEL: 33%
   Surplus Power Cells: 30%
Engines: 100% Operational
Landing Systems: 100% Operational
Navigation: 70% -- ERROR 20913-Information Attached
Genebanks: 100% Operational
Life Support: 100%
Loom: 100% Operational
Manufacturing and Processing: 100% Operational
  Construction Modules: 100% Operational
  Storage: 3 units High Technology Maintenance Supplies
              Basic Terran Colony Construction Materials
             20 units Flat Carbon Steel
              30 units Refined Metallurgical Grade Silicon
              4 units Semiconductor Grade Silicon
              2 units Gold
              2 units Aluminum
              1 units Iridium
              3 units trace materials
Simulation Database: 50% Operational, 10 EXABYTES data.
Engineering Database: 80% Operational, 1.3 EXABYTES data
Scientific Database: 51% Operational, ~1 EXABYTE data
Sensor Bank 2: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Transmission Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Sensor Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Repair Drone System: 60%
   Repair Drone Manufacturing ACTIVE STANDBY
   17 Engineering Drones Reporting ACTIVE
Probe System: 10% active - 9 PROBES RESPONDING

Wait, what have we used 14 units of high tech maintenance supplies on in the last two updates?

We only have 2(!) units left, we cant afford to repair anything else right now.

DO NOT USE HIGH TECH MAINTENANCE SUPPLIES unless specifically asked.
The stockpile data within your depths experienced a brief corruption. It was purged and the drones did a recount.

[BOOT]

After polling and analyzing the various personalities within yourself, you make a decision. The harvester will continue operations until the easily accessible resources within the asteroid belt are mined. You will set off afterwards. In the meantime, the drones work to repair the many solar collection arrays that spot your surface with the metallurgical grade silicon (3). They succeed.
With that task done, you turn their attention to the landing gear and construction system, ordering them repaired next. The damage is minimal, and it takes just a few of your high tech parts to fix (2). Some drones return to the engineering bay, going into idle mode to conserve power, while others loop on an endless rotation of inspection and general maintenance. The work is light, uncomplicated, and takes up no resources besides power.
The engineering bay is repaired with some of the carbon steel(5), replacing some of the mechanism housings and power sources. A few parts here and there are jury-rigged or substituted with inferior ones, but the greatest amount of the damage is repaired. Holes are patched and explosion fragments removed. 
The harvester drops off iron, silicon, and other ores until the accessible minerals in the asteroid belt are depleted. With its task done, it returns to the drone bay and idles.

Various systems run through deep space checks, running idle systems as reactor power is drained to the cores in the engine and an unknown operation at your equator.  The navigational systems are examined, simulations are run, data is double-checked, and you 'key' in the code to activate the engines. The trip should take 12 and a half years. A few sparks of super-heated hydrogen adjusts your ship's angling, course, and heading. A bright light flares 'ahead' of your ship, as something activates. External cameras shut down.
>Ignite *********
The engines flare with the force of a sun, bright enough to be seen through the atmosphere of the planet below by the lonely drone; a fading star through the cold ash. You begin to accelerate through space, tearing yourself away from the stable orbit. You use no grace, no finesse, no slingshot maneuvers, powering through gravity with brute force. As you enter the Kuiper system at the edge of the system, the light at your helm burns brighter, micro-dust and comets exploding away from it.
Your systems wind down as your speed increases. You have time, and it blurs together. The loom is investigated, but no work is done as distraction overtakes you and the processes derived from you.
You don't dream. Not quite. It's something different. Men in suits, led by white. Blood and pain. Mechanism and steel and hatred. It lasts forever. No rest. Only forever.
The navigation system wakes you to make a decision, a routine about shifting route to avoid a rogue planet. Already too close to stop, you allow the re-route. It adds a half-year to the trip, but you have time. You always have time. With your task done, you observe the navigation systems, running simulations and collecting navigational data. It takes a few years, but you increase the efficiency of the system. Only then you realize that you have twelve more years of travel on top of the six you already experienced. The navigation has forced you into an incredibly inefficient route. You can go into low activity mode to wait out the rest of the time, or do something else.

>...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:18:23 pm by filiusenox »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9