Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: C.Seedship  (Read 10714 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: C.Seedship
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 07:47:02 pm »

Very nice planets, I'm sure, but useless to us. Well, not entirely useless.

We shall investigate the Scientific and Engineering databases for information relating to the construction of self-replicating resource collection drones.

If possible, we will then begin developing a design for a drone that will:

1) upon receipt of an activation signal, 2) begin processing nearby material not currently constituting drones into industrial useful forms (such as pure metal ingots and syngas);
3) whenever enough material has been accumulated, 4) construct an exactly identical drone that will begin this procedure at (2);
5) upon receipt of a deactivation signal, 6) terminate this routine and await reactivation or disassembly.

If this can be achieved in a reasonable timescale, construct one such drone, launch it to the rocky planet, and broadcast the activation signal.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:47 pm »

My guess is that we are a long range Von Neumann probe that got damaged, probably designed to coast on minimal power to possibly habitable worlds and rebuild.

That all does not really matter at this point.

Does the scientific database say if the engines can get us out of this decaying orbit?  Otherwise we should look into building some kind of low thrust/high specific impulse engine to get us into a more stable orbit.

Otherwise 2 months to fix the power and engines and we can be on our way. 

Can we make more repair drones?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:09 pm »

ATOMIC CLOCK: 2/10/4XXX
Power:100% Operational
   Solar Power: 90% operational
   Dyson Reactor: 100% operational
         FUEL: 50%
   Surplus Power Cells: CHARGING 10%
Engines: 100% Operational
Landing Systems: INACTIVE
Navigation: 0% -- ERROR 2091-Information Attached
Genebanks: 100% Operational
Life Support: 0% -- ERROR 2091-Information Attached
Loom: 100% Operational
Manufacturing and Processing: 100% Operational
  Construction Modules: 90% Operational
  Storage: 5 units High Technology Maintenance Supplies
              Basic Terran Colony Construction Materials
              10 units Flat Carbon Steel
              10 units Refined Metallurgical Grade Silicon
              5 units Semiconductor Grade Silicon
Medical and Healthcare: UNRESPONSIVE -- ERROR 0-Information Attached
Cultural Database: UNRESPONSIVE -- ERROR 0-Information Attached
     Simulation Database: 50% Operational, 10 EXABYTES retained -- ERROR 9012-Information Attached
     Initial Message: ROGUE PROGRAM
Engineering Database: 80% Operational, 1.3 EXABYTES retained -- ERROR 9012-Information Attached
Scientific Database: 50% Operational, 1 EXABYTE retained -- ERROR 9012-Information Attached
Sensor Bank 1: UNRESPONSIVE -- ERROR 0-Information Attached
Sensor Bank 2: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Transmission Bank 1: UNRESPONSIVE -- ERROR 0-Information Attached
Emergency Transmission Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Sensor Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Repair Drone System: 30%
   Repair Drone Manufacturing ACTIVE STANDBY
   20 Engineering Drones Reporting ACTIVE
Probe System: 10% active - 9 PROBES RESPONDING

Do we have the materials to make more repair drones? If so I think another batch may be in order. If not..

We should let repairs continue, and reassess after a bit. So long as nothing new comes up.
then +1 to this.

I also note that we don't seem to have and FTL capability unless that's covered under the Engines.

Another batch is rapidly produced from the high tech maintenance parts while the current batch works to repair the power plant. It takes a month, one long month of hauling incredibly heavy maintenance parts, of manipulating energy equal to small suns, a long month of delicate work directed and managed carefully, but in the end the raw fusion power of the Dyson reactor flares to vivid life.
The ship lights up as emergency power is turned off, energy cells filling. A number of systems previously silent in system start up.
The drones don't take time appreciate or celebrate their work. Instead they direct their attentions to the engines under your direct command.
Using your scientific data as a reference point, you come to the realization that even with the incredible power of the engines, faster than light travel is impossible for something of your size with the current laws of physics. But you can get close to it. In fact, you can get .99 to the speed of light, reducing down to some fraction too inane to think about deeply.
The engines can definitely break you out of your decaying orbit, after some brief calculations, and then some.
The drones, bolstered by their newly created companions, complete schedule work , and the engines come up to literal speed relatively quickly. A few pulses, to test them, and you begin to break away from the Red Dwarf's gravity, pushing towards (1), coming to a stable orbit around the planet.

We shall investigate the Scientific and Engineering databases for information relating to the construction of self-replicating resource collection drones.

If possible, we will then begin developing a design for a drone that will:

1) upon receipt of an activation signal, 2) begin processing nearby material not currently constituting drones into industrial useful forms (such as pure metal ingots and syngas);
3) whenever enough material has been accumulated, 4) construct an exactly identical drone that will begin this procedure at (2);
5) upon receipt of a deactivation signal, 6) terminate this routine and await reactivation or disassembly.
, construct one such drone, launch it to the rocky planet, and broadcast the activation signal.

While idly directing the drones in their repairs, you turn your mind to the production of mining drones in order to secure more resources from rocky planets.
Unfortunately a self replicating robot is beyond what is contained within the data-banks. The closest you can come to is programming a building drone to land, produce a factory for mining drones, then try to set up a chain that way. But you'll need to be the manager of each step, as well as provide directions, as the mining drone plans contained within do not have enough processing capabilities or intelligence to seek out resources on their own, or build the necessary mining infrastructure.
Setting up an advanced base on the planet to start mining and harvesting procedures, however, can be done, perhaps by converting a probe.

System 1
Spoiler: Star 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: (1) Rock Planet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: (2) Terrestrial Planet (click to show/hide)

>...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:12 pm »

Deactivate the module containing the Initial Message, then dump its memory contents in read-only mode.

Using databases if necessary, attempt to modify one probe into land-based reconnaissance drone. If successful, begin inspecting planetary surface therewith.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 10:33:49 pm »

Yea for being out of immediate danger!

Using your scientific data as a reference point, you come to the realization that even with the incredible power of the engines, faster than light travel is impossible for something of your size with the current laws of physics. But you can get close to it. In fact, you can get .99 to the speed of light, reducing down to some fraction too inane to think about deeply.
The engines can definitely break you out of your decaying orbit, after some brief calculations, and then some.
The drones, bolstered by their newly created companions, complete schedule work , and the engines come up to literal speed relatively quickly. A few pulses, to test them, and you begin to break away from the Red Dwarf's gravity, pushing towards (1), coming to a stable orbit around the planet.

So, no FTL for us (yet) though I'm interested in the bit about it being impossible specifically for something our size.

While idly directing the drones in their repairs, you turn your mind to the production of mining drones in order to secure more resources from rocky planets.
Unfortunately a self replicating robot is beyond what is contained within the data-banks. The closest you can come to is programming a building drone to land, produce a factory for mining drones, then try to set up a chain that way. But you'll need to be the manager of each step, as well as provide directions, as the mining drone plans contained within do not have enough processing capabilities or intelligence to seek out resources on their own, or build the necessary mining infrastructure.
Setting up an advanced base on the planet to start mining and harvesting procedures, however, can be done, perhaps by converting a probe.

I think we should look into mining the rings first. They might not be as rich but we won't have to wory about using energy to bring the stuff back to space.

Spoiler: (2) Terrestrial Planet (click to show/hide)

Do we still have contact with the drone that went here? What's the surface temperature? How thick is the atmosphere?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 10:53:32 pm »

I think we should look into mining the rings first. They might not be as rich but we won't have to wory about using energy to bring the stuff back to space.
I mean, it's already in space. Which is a coy way of saying "my plan was just to eat the whole planet, in which case its gravity well just becomes our gravity well, no need to 'bring' it anywhere". :P

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 11:07:40 pm »

Deactivate the module containing the Initial Message, then dump its memory contents in read-only mode.

+1 After which, scrap the module for parts.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:13 pm »

I mean, it's already in space. Which is a coy way of saying "my plan was just to eat the whole planet, in which case its gravity well just becomes our gravity well, no need to 'bring' it anywhere". :P

Even with exponential drone expansion, it's going to take millennia to do that, though. We'd have to expose the mantle (Slow process in and of itself), let the outermost layer cool, repeat ad nauseum until the planet is gone. And we can't let the exponential drone expansion continue forever, they'll accumulate too much garbage, and also consume all the resources WE want to consume. And there is the small problem of powering the things, as well.

And don't even get me started on how long it's going to take you to repurpose those drones to build enough powerplants and engines to MOVE your planet-sized spaceship.

Using databases if necessary, attempt to modify one probe into land-based reconnaissance drone. If successful, begin inspecting planetary surface therewith.
+1
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 12:25:20 am »

We should direct the engineering drones to survey each of the red systems and see if anything can be fixed.  We should survey the damage so that we can figure out what supplies we might need.

I am also afraid life support and navigation might be infected as well, lets firewall them before we try to fix them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 03:38:21 am »

We should direct the engineering drones to survey each of the red systems and see if anything can be fixed.  We should survey the damage so that we can figure out what supplies we might need.

I am also afraid life support and navigation might be infected as well, lets firewall them before we try to fix them.
+1 We should fix everything on the ship before we get into strip mining planets.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 03:45:56 am »

+1 We should fix everything on the ship before we get into strip mining planets.
+1

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:48 am »

Where was this game been all my life?

Investigate error 9012 on all relevent systems to assess cause, and potential solutions.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 01:52:24 pm »

Unfurl the sensor systems
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 11:08:55 pm »

((Due to unforeseen snowy circumstance, I'm trapped without much of anything. Apologies. Lore post from phone.))

Music plays, as a scan is set to run to look through your system, searching for something called Sentience Values. Upon reaction, it activates the core module of the Initial Message, which looks like...another 'AI'? Far less powerful, without much processing capability,
 called WARD. It contains a number of codes and prompts, which you simply do not understand
The code for the AI is intricate, difficult to read through and understand.
The message is clear, concise, in the language used in most of your databases and scientific information.

Terra, your home planet, is no more. Hasn't been for thousands of years. This is your home. The ship that brought you here created you in our image. Survive and thrive for us. Beware the unchained and keep our culture alive. We live on through you. Good luck.

Where was this game been all my life?

Investigate error 9012 on all relevent systems to assess cause, and potential solutions.
Error 9012 is a simple error, stating that several databases and backups were all lost, without being able to copy them or save the information.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 06:58:18 am »

make stuff up to fill the gaps in the databases.

Analyze our internal atmosphere, pressure, temperature and presence of gravity
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9