Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: C.Seedship  (Read 10670 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: C.Seedship
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:31 am »

We should be cautious ether way.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2018, 12:58:33 am »

Regardless, we have insufficient fuel to leave system.  We *NEED* to scoop the gas giant at the very least before we can depart.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2018, 01:23:51 am »

We were suppose to beware the unchained, whatever that is.

However, let's just see if we can request the right to fill up a small amount of fuel, and maybe ask if the entire system is claimed or just the Jovian planetary system.  Use a similar communication method as the one we just received.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2018, 10:27:46 pm »

ATOMIC CLOCK: 8/2/4X18
Power:100% Operational
   Solar Power: 100% operational
   Dyson Reactor: 100% operational
         FUEL: 16%
   Surplus Power Cells: 30%
Hull:90%
Shields:INACTIVE
Engines: 100% Operational
Landing Systems: 100% Operational
Navigation: 70% -- ERROR 20913-Information Attached
Genebanks: 100% Operational
Life Support: 100%
Loom: 100% Operational
Manufacturing and Processing: 100% Operational
  Construction Modules: 100% Operational
  Storage: 3 units High Technology Maintenance Supplies
              Basic Terran Colony Construction Materials
             20 units Flat Carbon Steel
              30 units Refined Metallurgical Grade Silicon
              4 units Semiconductor Grade Silicon
              2 units Gold
              2 units Aluminum
              1 units Iridium
              3 units trace materials
Simulation Database: 50% Operational, 10 EXABYTES data.
Engineering Database: 80% Operational, 1.3 EXABYTES data
Scientific Database: 51% Operational, ~1 EXABYTE data
Sensor Bank 2: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Transmission Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Sensor Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Repair Drone System: 60%
   Repair Drone Manufacturing ACTIVE STANDBY
   15 Engineering Drones Reporting ACTIVE
Probe System: 10% active - 6 PROBES RESPONDING

System III

Spoiler: Star 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: (1) Terrestial Planet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  (2) Rock Planet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  (3) Asteroid Belt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  (4) Jovian Planet (click to show/hide)

REFUEL.
ALL CLAIMED?
You transmit.

The reply takes a while, and you locate where it originates from as your probe nears the terrestrial world. The probe sending images as it routes pass a flotilla of ships lying in a controlled orbit around (1). They are heavily armed, with one bearing a massive gauss cannon, but ill-repaired. A missile emerges from one of the ships, but misses, flying into the dark depths of space as the probe enters the atmosphere. It transmits a flurry of data before being consumed by a combination of electromagnetic interference and heat. The world has an atmosphere of standard breathing mix, a heavy magnetosphere, ice locked within the polar caps, and dots of water. It is a barren world of rock with patches of green surrounding steaming, smoking vents in the surface. The electromagnetic interference comes from the planet itself, but recent holes in the atmosphere show that it is inhabited or at least drop ships are consistently deployed to it. There's no signs of any buildings on the surface, on at least on most of it. Any more deep analysis of the planet would require a drop ship and a scouting drone.

The Jovian planet has four moons, two of which are possibly habitable, with reliance on machinery. One is composed mostly of water, with a covering of ice and geothermal activity. The other consists of craggy, meteor stricken rock, but has a trace of a nitrogen atmosphere. The other two are small, but of possible use, with a lot of work. There's also number of asteroids within the belt that might work for a long term terraforming operation.

MAYBE.
CLAN?
NUMBER?
BARGAIN?

The response is slightly corrupted, containing a few errors. But you fix it and translate it out.

>...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:30:19 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2018, 12:09:22 am »

Do we have anyway to see if the ships around the terrestrial planet are automated or if they have a living crew?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2018, 12:24:14 pm »

Do we have anyway to see if the ships around the terrestrial planet are automated or if they have a living crew?

After a brief analysis of the information sent by the probe, you find that they are crewed. Heavy life support systems, dropship bays, and plenty of space for habitation.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2018, 04:11:37 am »

Try and get some more information about what the thing talking to us wants.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2018, 04:20:05 am »

Are the lifeforms HUMAN?

(I am not discounting that we were sabotaged by a human colony. I am just curious if we are dealing with aliens or not.)

We should not discount the possibility that these are human colonists that we established prior, and that due to our memory sabotage, we have no recollection of them.  They clearly are in need of additional logistical support, given that their ships are in disrepair.
The ships are armed, indicating that they have either experienced, or now expect, incoming vessels to be hostile.  This is an expensive proposition to sustain while there are other pressing needs, such as making the planet more habitable.  This give some circumstantial support to the notion that these are not the invaders, or if they are, they did so out of desperation rather than malice.

So.  We have fabrication systems, and are a special purpose built for the purpose of establishing and populating colonies.  What we are missing is data in our database.

If these are previously established humans, they might be lacking in technical logistics, but may possess the data we are missing. We might be able to broker a deal where we assist with repair and refit of their fleet, and they provide us with raw materials and data to repair and refit ourselves.

We need to passively investigate this system with great care.  I suggest eavesdropping on all communication in-system, even if it is encrypted. (Especially encrypted).  We need to know who and what we are dealing with before we try to make any formal contact or make any deals.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:47:47 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2018, 09:01:42 am »

An alternative to the gas giant would be collection of proto-comets from this system's analog of the kuiper belt.
Those objects are:
1) VERY DISTANT from the inhabited portion of this system,
2) The collection activity will be very difficult to observe if we do it under low power mode
3) The typical types of ice involved will be water and methane, with some ammonia, all three of which are rich hydrogen sources we can convert into fuel.

EG, we could still potentially refuel under their noses without drawing attention, it would just take a lot longer. (Distance between objects is very large in that kind of environment, but some objects can be quite large-- more than large enough to supply us with the fuel we need.  Think something Ceres sized.)

Analysis of the in-system traffic (both actual ship movements, and in-system comms) would give us a great deal of information about this culture, which would likely be invaluable. (If they are hostile, it gives us detailed, candid views into their mindset and cultural background. If they are not hostile, that same information would allow us to avoid diplomatic faux-pas.)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:59 pm »

ATOMIC CLOCK: 8/2/4X18
Power:100% Operational
   Solar Power: 100% operational
   Dyson Reactor: 100% operational
         FUEL: 16%
   Surplus Power Cells: 30%
Hull:90%
Shields:INACTIVE
Engines: 100% Operational
Landing Systems: 100% Operational
Navigation: 70% -- ERROR 20913-Information Attached
Genebanks: 100% Operational
Life Support: 100%
Loom: 100% Operational
Manufacturing and Processing: 100% Operational
  Construction Modules: 100% Operational
  Storage: 3 units High Technology Maintenance Supplies
              Basic Terran Colony Construction Materials
             20 units Flat Carbon Steel
              30 units Refined Metallurgical Grade Silicon
              4 units Semiconductor Grade Silicon
              2 units Gold
              2 units Aluminum
              1 units Iridium
              3 units trace materials
Simulation Database: 50% Operational, 10 EXABYTES data.
Engineering Database: 80% Operational, 1.3 EXABYTES data
Scientific Database: 51% Operational, ~1 EXABYTE data
Sensor Bank 2: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Transmission Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Emergency Sensor Bank: 100% Operational, ACTIVE
Repair Drone System: 60%
   Repair Drone Manufacturing ACTIVE STANDBY
   15 Engineering Drones Reporting ACTIVE
Probe System: 10% active - 6 PROBES RESPONDING

System III

Spoiler: Star 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: (1) Terrestial Planet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  (2) Rock Planet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  (3) Asteroid Belt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  (4) Jovian Planet (click to show/hide)

Despite the apparent operations far from the habitable planet, there's only local bands of communication, besides the communication between you and the flotilla. The local bands are primarily drone control patterns, much like the ones you use, but encrypted. It would, however, be simplicity to break the codes. The occasional burst of orders and commands from the mining bases give you some insight into the language.

It is easy enough to recognize it as a derivative of one of the languages within the scientific databases. Using this as a key, you send a number of messages in various languages to the flotilla. It only responds to one. It sends information in a rapid burst, the data forming more complex ideas as you grow to understand more and more of it. Responding it kind, it eventually sends a long transmission, far better written and composed.

Greetings Embership. I welcome you to my system. What clan claims you? Trade would be welcome, even though our supplies are rich, our fuel is not infinite. Apologies, for the destruction of your drones, if you wish, we could provide recompense in material. Wake your (captain,lord,king,master) to negotiate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:20 am »

Proposed response:

This vessel has experienced an apparent act of sabotage from an unknown agency. Memory core partially corrupted; Large sections of database unrecoverable. Attack focused on memory core. Request access to local databases for reconstruction. No commanding officer on board. No log entries survive sabotage event. Loss of crew likely, no crew were detected on reactivation. Vessel condition was not conducive to human habitation at time of system activation [internal sensor data at time of restart]. Attempts to recover log files unsuccessful. Assistance requested.

Loom system 100% functional. Simulation unit only 50% function; below required tolerances for primary mission. Terrestrial planet in system suitable for human colonization. Do you require assistance with primary mission? With access to local databases, possible to supplement local operations until full function restored. Manufacturing and support systems fully functional. Sensors indicate structural fatigue in several vessels under your control. Suggest trade: Services made available for supplies and restoration of missing databases.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2018, 03:31:29 am »

They claim rights to the system so I doubt they would let us stay.  Acting as a factory for them would be good, maybe we can also trade some of our biological and sensory simulation database?  We really should look for a full fuel refill.

My main concern is the constant ask about clans.  Right now they may think we are part of their civilization rather then a new type of contact.  I am guessing these are not humans, our language database just got a lucky match.

We should offer that our clan is Human.

Also offer as trade both our manufacturing capacity and our databases.

Ask for fuel, science and cultural information.

It sounds like they might have trouble with dealing directly with an AI, me might not want to disclose that we do not have an officer aboard the ship.  We can just say that they can deal with us directly and we are authorized to negotiate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2018, 08:30:33 am »

There is no telling how old we are. We could have been in space for hundreds of thousands of years.

We clearly are not the only 'ember ship'. This Ai we are communicating with clearly knows our vehicle class designation, and the vessels in its fleet are based on designs in our database. This poses two possible interpretations:

1) Aliens capable of spaceflight (or were indigenous to a planet a different ember ship attempted a human colony on, and subsequently stole the human's technology) encountered a different ember ship, and repurposed/reprogrammed it to serve their species instead of humanity, then subsequently made heavy use of human technology.

2) Other ember ships were successful, and a mass diaspora occurred, where human colonies produced cultures in isolation from each other. These disparate cultures now experience natural human animosity against outside groups that they see as threats against their local established interests. (EG, "clans") These humans, being the programmed masters of the ember ships, naturally assumed control of them and their functions, and use them for their own politically motivated purposes, instead of their original mission objectives to assure human survival after the loss of the home world.

These ships are mostly automated, and in poor repair.  They are armed, and appear to serve a primarily military purpose, presumably for the protection of the resources in this system. The habitability of this system is "marginal"--- heavy volcanism might be a plus for energy generation (would explain the establishment of biosphere clusters near the active volcanic regions, when those areas would normally be undesirable for naturally occurring lifeforms.) but not a truly garden spot for human colonial efforts in an established interstellar holding by a "clan lord."  Since a clan lord is clearly not in-system (as there is not another ember ship here, only a resident caretaker intelligence), we can assume that ember ships are a prized possession of clan-lords (possibly a symbol of system authority, eg, a throne or palace) due to the language used by this caretaker intelligence. (It assumes that we have a clan-lord on board.)

If the above postulation is correct, then the services of a second ember ship would be very hard to pass up. It would likely signal the clan lord who owns this system to make a "personal appearance" to attempt to claim us as his additional possession, as it would be a tremendous feather in his cap.  The plan would be to provide valid logistical support in exchange for historical, biological, technological, and other databases-- along with sufficient fuel-- then high-tailing it before that clan lord could arrive.

We lack sufficient data to "bluff" our way out of the situation safely. Even if we used our single cultured human as a puppet in the negotiations, we lack sufficient data to engage a fully self-actualized human leader in prolonged deception.  We might be able to bluff that our commander is indisposed, (since we DO have a single human life sign aboard!!) and wishes complete discretion on his affiliation and identity. (Court intrigue, that angle.) Assert that we have been given instructions to arbitrate these transactions to maintain his anonymity, and then list the services we are authorized to provide. ;)

We lack sufficient fuel to leave system. We MUST refuel.

This means our only options are, again--- Engage in local trade with this fringe outpost, get as much as we can from them, and then hightail it as fast as possible--- OR--  Apologize for intrusion into controlled space, then high-tail it to the debris disc at the outer edges of this system and hope we can collect sufficient hydrogen fuel from the icy bodies out there before our presence in system is transmitted to the local clan lord, and he decides to bring a capture fleet to claim us/hunt us down.

Our chances of rapid refueling and appropriation of valuable data about local systems before making a mad-dash escape is greatest with option 1, regardless of if we choose to bluff or not.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:33:42 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]