Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random soldiers chasing me around  (Read 1395 times)

orost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random soldiers chasing me around
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:44:47 pm »

Something odd happened to my latest adventurer.

At the end of my first day, not really having done anything yet, just travelling, I got attacked in a town by two soldiers, a dwarf recruit and a goblin lasher. They tried to stab me to death for no apparent reason. I beat them up until they yielded so I could talk to them, but I couldn't extract any useful information about why they attacked me. Asked about the attack, they gave me the "it was inevitable" line. Asked about me, they didn't know me. Asked why they were travelling, "I am on an important mission".

When I tried to leave, they wouldn't let me, "ambushing" me immediately when I tried to move on the travel screen, somehow, despite having broken legs. I had to walk a fair bit away normally before I could travel.

A few days later, after I killed some monsters and bandits, again in a town a different group of soldiers, mostly human, started beating on me. This time it was non-lethal, and they kept telling me to yield. When I did the game crashed, so I didn't get to investigate more.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Why would random soldiers that don't know me want to kill me? I hadn't even done anything of note. And I was a human of the same civilization as the town, I started just a day's travel away from where that happened.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Random soldiers chasing me around
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:33:55 pm »

Off the top of my head :

• They might be bandits and be after your loot. They'll ask you to yield, then strip yourself of your gear.
• You might have commited a crime against the entity they are part of, be it civilization or site government
• They might be, as soldiers, part of a civilization that force them to attack neutrals (read : goblins)
• Maybe this is a bug

I also had soldiers chasing me around, but they were friendly. Checking me, and letting me go. Fort send patrols every now and then but won't attack you if they have no reason to.. Some people from those patrols even joined my next fort.
I advise you to check the legends if you can remember their names.

Also : next time it happens and you want to know who those guys are, check their equipment. More often than not, one piece (depending on the civ) is <<decorated>> with the symbol of their civilization. So you know who you're dealing with
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:36:46 pm by Cathar »

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:19:36 am »

I find it's best to use your imagination to 'nearest-fit' a narrative story to the facts instead of trying to fathom how the game engine decided that any particular thing it did made any sense at all.

orost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »

@Cathar

Thanks. I figure you're right about them being bandits. I found a bug on Mantis about a crash that happens when you yield to muggers that matches what I saw so I figure those were muggers. I would have seen that if it hadn't crashed.

I'm not sure about the first group though. They just tried to kill me, which seems out of character for muggers.