Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 9120 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2018, 08:16:53 pm »

Attempt to regain consciousness.

Break fourth wall.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2018, 09:25:29 pm »

Try to figure out where I am.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:06 pm »

go find that wounded animal that would be easy to eat or tame
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2018, 07:40:35 pm »

Rahx:
It takes less than a minute before you get bored and decide to have a poke through the equipment arrayed before you. You might actually have ADD, honestly. (Kalamos gives you a skeptical look and returns to typing.) Unfortunately, your skill with ordinary computers fails to translate to the bespoke machinery Chantar operates, and you soon find your investigation stymied with bafflement.

Jilladilla:
Plunged in a sea of corn, you struggle for air, light, and survival! You are tossed one way and another by physically inexplicable cornwaves for two full minutes, by the end of which you are certain you will run out of breath and suffocate here under the amber waves of grain – but then in a glorious moment your hand breaks into freedom, followed shortly by your head and torso as you haul yourself back up to see the sun and sky again. You look this way and that to get your bearings again, and realise you've somehow emerged from the corn dimension somewhere very far from your point of entrance; you are standing in the midst of what appears to be an ordinary though deserted suburb like any other in the world. The streets are empty and the swirling clouds in the sky cast an eerie, shifting light across the faces of oddly-misproportioned houses, and as you watch those clouds swirl you soon realise a gap of clear sky, centred over a spot seemingly no more than a few blocks away, which holds firmly open as the storm passes around it. You don't know exactly why, but, looking at the gap, an instinct in the back of your brain tells you you are looking at safety.

For a moment you turn around and look behind you to see where you came from, half-expecting to find the street buried in a drift of corn, but the only evidence of your passage is a mere puddle of corncobs covering perhaps four square feet and a couple inches deep.

Tack:
You run! You are vaguely aware that the outside people make these broad flat trails to furnish passage between their villages, so you assume you will eventually find something useful at the other end.
. . .
It turns out the trail is really long. In fact, it already seems to be getting dark out, even though you left in midmorning and you feel like you've only been running for a bit more than half an hour. You usually trust your innate sense of time implicitly, but the sun doesn't lie, right? After a bit more thought, it occurs to you that the trees along the side of the trail seem sort of familiar, even though you didn't pass any forks that might have led you to double back. You wonder if maybe you're using the trail wrong somehow?

Blood_Librarian:
Unable to locate an attic due to the mysterious and confusing concept of "being underground", you wander into the kitchen instead and locate a convenient oven. As you are trying to work out how to turn it on, though, you eventually realise that it is electric and cannot supply a direct flame. This is actually a good thing, because the local natural gas supplier has recently suffered from a minor case of apocalypse that has disrupted distribution, while Chantar's generator keeps the electric oven running, but that doesn't occur to you at the time.

blueturtle1134:
You struggle to regain consciousness, beckoned by confused voices just a few feet away.
Smoke Mirrors:
You look around and try to figure out where you are, but the answer appears to be "in the dark".
darkwarlock3:
You suddenly remember the wolf! Oh, hey, it's right there. You start to approach it, but—

OMNES:
—as Ernor's dream loses its grip on you all, the wall of darkness surrounding you is suddenly broken by the visage of a huge squirrel, ghastly, vast, and terrible! Strangely contorted by rage and by the dream-aura, it glowers malevolently as it bends down and latches onto the wolf's side with a sharp bite. At that very moment, though, Rakasas deals it a wild crack on the side of the head with his makeshift club, and all hear the crunch of shattered bone as everything suddenly flashes into light...

darkwarlock3, Smoke Mirrors, and OceanSoul:
You are all lying in what appears to be a small pile of corn, which has for some reason been placed in an ordinary suburban street. Well, ordinary to two of you; Rakasas has never seen anything like this before, but is starting to learn to roll with the unexpected. The wolf is nowhere to be seen. Though the street seems to be deserted, probably due to the unusual storm and ethereal flashing lights, Falkner (the man from the dream vision, for those of you to whom he lacked the courtesy to introduce himself) happens to spot some movement in the distance.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:45 pm »

Despite having a bit of a hard time understanding decides to spend more time talking about it with Chantar or find a way to "see" what it does; maybe some weird magic will happen where she suddenly gets it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »

Please don't touch either the 3d printer or the CNC machine.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2018, 10:05:31 pm »

"Why not the 3d printer or the 'CNC' machine? They make great things! Maybe a rifle or something else. Better than whatever that other gal is doing with those improvised spears."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:51 pm »

Because you have no idea how to use them and they both eat electricity like an ogre eats ribs.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2018, 10:51:12 pm »

Ogres don't eat ribs. Ribs are a type of bone and they're sharp. Eating them would be silly.

Oh wait, without fourth-wall I haven't gotten to you guys yet.

*puff of logic*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:54:22 pm by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:12 pm »

"Well you obviously have some hardware keeping this place running despite all the chaos happening outside. I bet you have a few ideas to get extra power anyway. Hey, maybe we could try to see if we can harvest this magical storm! If nothing changes or breaks in the process..." Ears fold down with a nervous chuckle. "Besides you could teach us or something. It shouldn't be that hard to operate."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:49 pm »

We can wait until we know we're going to be safe before we start trying to "harvest" the maelstrom. Besides, I'm already using runes to keep this place safe and to make sure the generator can keep running. I'd rather not try to install a deliberate hole in the Font of Order just to maybe get some more magic.
As for teaching you how to use this stuff, I'd rather wait until everyone Kal says is coming gets here. More efficient to try and teach everyone at once, less likely to be repeating myself for every single person.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:37 pm »

Looking confused "What other people?"

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:28 am »

This trail is confusing... Perhaps if viewed from the side it will give some insights as to its working?

Strike out perpendicularly, checking regularly on the road.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:38:41 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2018, 04:37:10 am »

"I'm not technically sure there are other people. Uh—"
(here Kalamos breaks off typing for a moment and looks uncertainly around the room)
"—Let me explain. This computer connects to an array of sensors in the basement that are designed to detect standing waves in the, um,"
(Kalamos stops typing again to make a vague hand motion)
"...energy field, basically, that accompanies this storm. It was only intended to measure the strength of the field at any given time, which rises and falls naturally like a heartbeat, but at the exact time when I first arrived, the sensors registered a huge soliton – an anomalously high single wave approaching this location. Chantar was concerned that it might signify some horribly destructive apocalyptic event, and I guess his worst fears were realised, since it heralded the coming of a roommate... heh. Anyway, after that we worked together to expand the sensor array and I set up this station to analyse the data, and we soon discovered a bunch of other solitons moving through a five-dimensional space, all apparently converging... here. Each one seems to somehow impose a more orderly state on the chaotic field surrounding it, though it isn't clear why yet. Since three of them met and arrived at the same time you did, the natural conclusion is that these anomalies somehow represent people who are being drawn here... for... some reason. Not counting the ones that are already here, there are currently seven of these anomalies bouncing around the continental United States."

Kalamos turns to Chantar and continues: "As a matter of fact, I should let you know that, since we last discussed the anomalies, four of the five that had left ordinary spacetime have returned to it within just a few blocks radius from here, as predicted. The other one seems to have gotten stuck halfway somehow – but the newest one just branched off into extradimensional space and is approaching it now. The seventh is still just sitting in the same place as always."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2018, 05:49:05 am »

Seeing safety in sight, Ana takes off towards it, not quite sprinting towards it, but at a fast jog, something that won't potentially tire her out before reaching the goal.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15